i think i found a church

by unstopableravens 166 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

i said big bonus, not same as biggest concern, sorry if that was unclear.

my bad.

• Mum
    Mum

Please be wary. Learn from your JW experience. A neighbor (brought up Mormon) and I once discussed churches we would attend. We agreed that mainline churches were all we would consider - Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Mehtodist, Baptist (even there, you have to be careful - e.g., Westboro "Baptist"), etc. You get the picture.

In the town I recently moved away from, there was a strong trend toward non-denominational churches. I went to one that was right next door to where I lived. I learned that they had an attitude that women should stay "in their place," so I didn't go back.

I usually don't go to church, but when I do (usually Episcopal), I feel renewed and ready to take on the world again.

Remember the People's Temple - a great PR program but a tragic end.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have been attending church myself. After I left the dubbies I never thought I would ever go to any church, but I have found a church that works for me. Its been 13 years since I left, so I think I have a good understanding of what I want. Its very welcoming, they have no set doctrine. The music is great. I feel at home. Their motto is, wherever you are on life's journey, you are welcome here, and they mean it. I find myself looking forward to services, so strange after absolutely hating meetings as a JW.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Unstop and Lisa, good for you...

If the focus of the church is on worshipping the Lord you've decided to believe in and not on how to creatively sell the religion to others*, you're probably in a better place than you used to be and hopefully you'll realize the relationships you form will NOT be conditional. If you leave for six months and then return you'll still be accepted.

I'm excited for you!

*I swear inserting the sales gig into a worship service still makes my skin crawl.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I would have thought it would be better to found a church than find a church. That way, you own the collection plate.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Use the church for your growth. If it tries to use you, its not right for you (unless you like being used). Once you have progressed as far as you can w it, then its time for you to take another step.

S

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

much of the "word" in the churches focuses on a financial ministry...makes me want to vomit - I just don't bother going to church.

I step into the garden and look at the flowers - i see god. I look at my brother and feel the love for him - I see god. I look at my pets and feel the love for them and give them a cuddle - I feel god.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Unstop, I'm glad you enjoyed the service. We have a lot of Reformed churches in West Michigan. They do a lot for the community.

Something to keep in mind: the moneys collected in the plate, fund the church. They pay salaries, utility bills, buy supplies and usually fund the pastor's discretionary fund that is used to helped needy people. I've been to a lot of churches and they rarely focus on finances unless it the time of year when the church administration asks the members to give them some idea of the support they can give to the church for the next year. Churches have to know if there will be enough money to function.

Congregations might have fundraisers to send all the kids to summer camp. They might raise funds for the water purification system missions. The church I attend has a clothing closet for the needy. They do engathering of food, household cleaners, personal hygiene products, paper goods, diapers, and much more for the local food pantries, which are all manned and housed by different churches of different faiths around the county.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

FlyingHigh - yes there are those churches that do amazing work and really do go out of their way to look after the communities they are in and I totally stand up and applaud those churches. If I am moved to contribute to a cause I'll do it, otherwise I prefer to give of my time or skill.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

yeah if the money is not being abused,(like millions for child abuse like wt), colloction plate is not a make or break for me, but i do like the donation box more,doctrine is def make or break for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit