i think i found a church

by unstopableravens 166 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The JWsreligious people that want money plant a lot of mistaken and misguided ideas into the heads of the flock.

Nothing in the NT about churches talking about money and finances or paying preachers or teachers. In fact, the apostles boast about NOT taking money from the flock.

Oh, how things change. How does "be nice to people" turn into "pay my salary"?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If you belong to a church and you are getting something out of it, why wouldn't you contribute? Things have to be paid for, wether it is a plate that is past or a box in the back. I looked at the budget for the church my husband and I have been attending and it seems very balanced and straightforward. At least it is not going to "the worldwide preaching work", aka the pedophile defence fund. They spend 10% on feeding the homeless and other outreach programs in our county, something I am happy to support. Yes, the pastor is paid a salary. The dubs didn't have paid clergy, but as they say, you get what you pay for, we have all seen happens when you have untrained and ignorant elders.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Nothing in the NT about churches talking about money and finances or paying preachers or teachers. In fact, the apostles boast about NOT taking money from the flock.
    Oh, how things change. How does "be nice to people" turn into "pay my salary"?

How does this sound exactly like an excerpt from a WT or Public Talk?

You work for nothing?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

If you belong to a church and you are getting something out of it, why wouldn't you contribute?

I belong to several organizations I get things out of that don't require paying a salary. We all contribute.

I looked at the budget for the church my husband and I have been attending and it seems very balanced and straightforward.

Like?

At least it is not going to "the worldwide preaching work", aka the pedophile defence fund.

Ha ha! You must not have people in your church if you think there aren't pedophiles.

They spend 10% on feeding the homeless and other outreach programs in our county, something I am happy to support.

Why not 50%?

Yes, the pastor is paid a salary.

Why? neither Jesus nor the apostles were paid. Are they better than them, that they should get paid?

The dubs didn't have paid clergy, but as they say, you get what you pay for, we have all seen happens when you have untrained and ignorant elders.

Ah, so your pastor is better than Jesus and the apostles because he gets paid?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

How does this sound exactly like an excerpt from a WT or Public Talk?

It doesn't sound like that at all, except to the ignorant.

I suppose you work for nothing.

It's clear you are missing the point. Feel free to try again.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Pastors and clergy work seven days a week and some additional nights. They deserve to be paid for their work. Not all of the work is religious. A lot of it is administrative.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It's clear you're missing the point. Do you work for free? How do you pay your bills? Jesus and his apostles, according to the Bible, didn't have any overhead or personal bills like mortgages and car payments.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I have a good friend who is an Episcopalian priest. His workday starts at 7 AM. Some nights he works until 9. He works on his days off visiting people in the hospital or at home. He works 7 days a week. He has a family to support. He isn't walking from town to town with a group, sleeping where ever. He has a bachelor's degree in English studies and a masters in divinity. Unlike JW elders, this guy knows how to counsel people who are in various kinds of fixes and when to suggest outside help such as medical or psychiatric care.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Pastors and clergy work seven days a week and some additional nights.

So did Jesus and the apostles. They didn't have a salary. Are these people better than Jesus?

They deserve to be paid for their work.

Why? Do they do it out of love as Jesus did or for a salary?

Not all of the work is religious.

Why should they get paid for doing something that isn't their job?

It's clear you're missing the point.

You need to make a point before I can miss it. Do you need another swing? I can pitch slower.

Do you work for free? How do you pay your bills? Jesus and his apostles, according to the Bible, didn't have any overhead or personal bills like mortgages and car payments.

They worked AND preached and expected NO ONE to support them with a salary. Are these preachers better than Jesus and the apostles?

And, since you can't seem to grasp the simple concept, yes, I often do work for free. I am part of an organization that provides education, meals, help for the under priviledged, holiday gifts for the needy and other things and we do it all without a paid staff. It's also non-religious, which may make a HUGE difference as we aren't used to asking people for money to help save their soul. We do it because we want to, not because we get paid.

Unlike JW elders, this guy knows how to counsel people who are in various kinds of fixes and when to suggest outside help such as medical or psychiatric care.

He's getting paid to dispense....whatever he feels like saying. Apparently his opinion is worth more than Jesus.

• Perry
    Perry

Good for you USRs ! Glad to hear it.

I was a 3rd gen JW on my Dad's side and a 4th gen JW on my Moms side. I've been attending church regularly for 9 years and my wife and children are thriving in a Christ centered environment.

Rejecting the organizational idolatry of my ancestors and accepting Jesus ALONE as savior was the best decision I ever made.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit