Problems with the "Bogus AWAA Fan Page"..

by OUTLAW 447 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

1. Barbara did not resign from AAWA, only as VP.

2. I was added to a "fans" facebook group that was mimicking the Official AAWA group. That "fan's" page at the time had AAWA logos all over it and appeared all over my news feed. Several of my Facebook friends made comments to this fact (some of them current and active JWs). Upon realizing the group was not the Official Secret AAWA group I removed myself. Shortly after that "fan's" group page changed it's name and graphics.

It is clear to me where the damage was generated and where mistaken blame continuosly regirgitated on this forum is being placed.

If you choose to disclose who you are by giving folks your Facebook contact information, any loss of privacy is your own fault.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

A post from a AAWA board member 5 days ago:

Juan Viejo2Re: AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists) posted 5 days ago (4/8/2013)

Post 844 of 849
    Since 6/17/2009

Dagney and others -

There were a few overeager folks - definitely not associated with AAWA - who took it upon themselves to use the Facebook auto referral feature and link literally hundreds of new members to our FB group site without our knowledge. That site was supposed to be a private, protected FB page, but we realized that over 1300 folks were suddenly members, many whom we did not know at all.

Our elation quickly turned to panic.

We knew that something was terribly wrong, but we faced the dilemma as to how to determine who wanted to be on the group from those who had been added and linked there without their knowledge.

Obviously, the site was no longer "private." We decided to make it an open group and let those who wanted to stay to remain, those who wanted to leave to opt out.

For now, my suggestion is that if you are getting any messages from the AAWA site via Facebook and you did not join our page on your own, please immediately opt out. I can assure you that none of your personal information has been retained. We won't be offended and understand your displeasure with the situation.

I have personally contacted the primary person responsible (not a member or associate of AAWA) asked that person to cease and desist from linking anyone without their knowledge or permission. We are confident that this was not done maliciously, but rather due to over eagerness to try to show support for our group. There may be others besides this one person who were also over-enthusiastic about our group and were just trying to help, but at this stage we have not identified any one taking action at that same level.

I apologize on behalf of the AAWA advisory group (many are sound asleep at this hour) and am personally sorry that we didn't act in a more assertive manner sooner. But what is done is done and now we must move on.

The good news is that the Facebook page is, in fact, now open to ANYONE WHO WANTS TO JOIN THE DISCUSSION...

JV

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

If you choose to disclose who you are by giving folks your Facebook contact information, any loss of privacy is your own fault.

I agree completely.

JV was/is correct. The Facebook AAWA Page is open. That is where anyone can join in the conversation by simply "liking" the page, an action they assume full responsibility for. The Facebook AAWA Group has always been secret. I can prove this by my news feed, timeline and activity log and it is verified by logging into other accounts and viewing my Facebook page.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The wording sounds to me like Barbara Anderson has resigned from any leadership role, not just VP. Cedars claims it was purely "personal reasons" but given the track record of obfuscation I think that can be taken with a pinch of salt.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

So according to JV, the site was private, then OPEN; then private again. That is like closing the barn door after the horses are out!

zed

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think your Facebook groups can have a significant impact on one's life. Jobs look at your Facebook, groups, etc. If you are seen as extreme or someone who could cause a problem in the workforce, then you might be hindering yourself out of future employment based on your groups. I think it's extremely important that people have the ability to join a group, but no group should automatically join people.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Really? So..in that case, why have a secret Facebook group? Isn't that to fool people?

Or, is this just another attempt to blame the victims..the people that were outed.?

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Secret in the sense that non-members don't know you are there and can't determine that unless they themselves join the group.

Everyone is talking about victims. Where are the victims? Let's hear their account and see how it fits into the facts.

• Simon
    Simon

Separate topic here about the AAWA update posted with some important things to consider (I believe) if you are using facebook and would be affected if 'outed':

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/adult/250445/1/AAWA-UPDATE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit