AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

Head Is Spinning:

Nope. Not false. Tell that to the people who posted earlier on this thread that they were outed. People might not be able to see what is being posted on the group itself, but the title itself does show up.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Fizzywiglet

I understand your concerns and why you choose to not to be outed

I don't think anyone should be forced to do what they are not ready

to do. And unlike the WTS I truly believe that

Yes, this religion , holds the threat of separation from your family

over your head as a way to keep you imprisoned in somethin' your no longer

see as the truth

Your biggest fear seems to be not of any other internet danger that lurks

each and everytime you go online, but your fear is of the WTS

You chose to remain in a prison of fear and chastise the very ones

who try to show you the way to freedom

Don't you ever get tired of the prison in which you live ?????

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

Wasblind,

Learn reading comprehension. I don't live in a prison. I'm out and an open apostate. I have no fear of the Watchtower. I've been estranged from my JW family for years and am perfectly happy.

And if I wasn't "out" yet, it would be none of your business.

That's the point here. It's not your business what choices others make, or why. Being added to a group without permission was rude and mildly inconvenient for me. It was damaging for others, who are still in. It's not your place to chastise them for choosing to fade or remain under the radar. And I have to say that the "if you're not with us, you're against us" vibe I've been getting from some AAWA members is pretty appalling. There have been some really snide posts (including some I saw on the Facebook group before I left it, from AAWA board members, no less) insinuating that those who disagree with an AAWA decision/tenet or choose not to participate are "not doing anything" against the Watchtower or aren't "real" activists, whatever that means. I'm actually very prominent in social issues causes and have been for several years (not just in ex-JW stuff). I'm pretty acclaimed in my field and am occasionally hired to give speeches at activist conferences and speak to lawmakers on social issues. I co-founded and co-run an international human rights organization (which is solely grassroots volunteer-based, and has been running almost four years without accepting or soliciting a single donation). And I learned very early on to avoid working with groups and organizations with that kind of defensive attitude - the moral outrage that somebody would criticize them, or the idea that they're the "only" ones doing something to help, or the "best" ones to help. The second someone responds to criticism with "Well, what are YOU doing to help?! What I'm doing is BETTER than what you're doing! I bet you aren't doing anything! I bet you live in a prison or are just scared of the Watchtower! I bet...etc., ad nauseam" and tries to turn it back on and undermine someone with a good point or constructive criticism, I immediately know that's someone I don't want to work with. My own organization certainly isn't above criticism, learning from our mistakes, and striving to do better, because for us, it's all about helping the people we set out to help - so we are most sensitive to their needs and input first, and they come from a variety of situations and backgrounds that we also need to be sensitive to and constantly take into account.

Again, I don't wish AAWA ill; I have friends who are members/volunteers and I hope they accomplish good things. But I see too many red flags for me to consider participating or endorsing it myself.

• sir82
    sir82

See, this bickering is what happens when you don't have Jehovah's backing!

• jam
    jam

Haven,t read all the comments, but you folks are my heroes.

I have been waiting a long time for this. Sign me up!!!!

Great job.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

wasblind, will you please stop taunting those who didn't choose to be added, much less OUTED?

Blaming the victims is exactly what the Watchtower does, after all.

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

If you liked the Facebook page which is nothing to do with the secret Facebook group, THAT will show up in your news feed.

If you watched the Youtube video and liked it, THAT will show up in your news feed.

A secret group does not show up in your news feed. That's the entire point of a secret group.

Nobody can even see it exists. They cannot see the name of the group. They cannot see the members. They cannot see the posts.

Only people who are in the groups can see.

• mind blown
    mind blown

It's easy when one can sit comfy cozy next to their wife/husband/family who together took the exit, or easy when you've had an easy exit. But there are many more of us who are not in that position. And though we hate the WTS, we do not hate our families.

I gather some have forgotten JWN's dear "delicate" soul, Ompa with his family issues.....as well as many others........

This has not been a bickering session. Those who are under that impression are lost, you have no idea what a JWN bickering session is like. These are important, valid, concerns of many. Now that I've made mine known, there's no need beating a dead horse. I'm in hopes the more mature, experienced, will take into consideration what has been noted by many.

I'm off this thread. Thank you Simon for opening it back up.

Hey! I heard that...mumble....mumble.......

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

HeadIsSpinning,

I did not "like" any page, I was added. I even asked my friend (Dagney) if she could see the group (she could only see the title and not any of the posts, but that was enough). It was showing up as a "like" even though I never liked it. Rebel8, early in this thread, had the same experience, and she was outed. Makes sense...nothing's ever truly private or "secret" on Facebook, given their track record of glitches and data breaches and ever-changing privacy settings.

Of course, it's all a moot point since Juan said further up that they've now made it an open group, so it's still going to show up on the profiles of people who were added without consent until they remove themselves.

Also moot, I guess, but to me somewhat telling, is that they're holding themselves out as having 1300 "members" and astronomical growth, when that has clearly not been the case - as Juan said, hundreds of people were force-added. I don't know who he's talking about who added hundreds of people, but the person who added me and about 30 of my friends was a coordinator associated with AAWA and on the planning committee who helped organize and create the YouTube video.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I Repeat

Fizzywiglet

I understand your concerns and why you choose to not to be outed

I don't think anyone should be forced to do what they are not ready

to do. And unlike the WTS I truly believe that

That means , unless a person is open to share . I don't CARE about your business

Trust. Ol' Wuz is not in attack mode. Not right now anyway

Betterdaze

So you say I taunt those who Bitch about bein' outted ?????

I think Not. Those who have a facebook or do anything else on the net

have more to be concerned about than bein' outed on facebook

They knew the risk they took when they signed up for facebook

way before AAWA was on that site

Now those who bitch need someone other than themselves

to blame for what would have eventually happened sooner or later

Like Isaid......... I haven't even begun to reach attack mode

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit