AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

They are coming.......

• steve2
    steve2

Actually we came, you pissed us off, so we've gone...

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

Geeze, this is the biggest waste of time. It reminds me of coming up with names for a band and spending so much time doing that that the band breaks up before they play their first gig.

There will always be people who miss the point and get hung up on the name of / a thing before one makes some significant acheivements. Frankly I like the name. I am not one of those detractors who put down every try at activism but never have any good ideas of their own. I put my time and money , consider this my official offer to do just about anything no matter what the name is. I admire what they are doing. Let all you lazy do-nothing, down in the mouth do-noyhings put down every effort. Just dont forget to turn in your field service time once they get through bashing it. I really do yhink some here work for yhe wt to discourage those of us who have the courage to act.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

friendaroonie you silly Avatar, open your eyes!!! They DID change their NAME!!!!!

Happy 100th post!!!!!

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

All those who dislike AAWA are not lazy. There was a rough start with AAWA and I guess now there are hard feelings on each side.
    But I wouldn't dismiss all who don't like AAWA. Everyone has a place to work from, and ultimately, we have a same goal.
    People here who have issues with AAWA are hard working, and have built this site with just as much concern than others.

As for me, I openly support AAWA, and I am volunteering for them as I write. I have some very dear friends there, and their goals are praiseworthy.
    I prefer the name now ( Advocates for Awareness of Watchtower Abuses) , because I admit I wasn't too hot about using the word "anti"... but this is how new ideas grow and mature.
    So yes, by all means help out if you wish and can.

Just one thing, respect the ones that disagree. There is no need for name calling. Also, although I am excited to work with AAWA, I rather not promote here for now.
    There is such a thing as respect for the site's preferences. If those preferences change, then, I'll adapt.
    All I want is peace... I hope you do too friendaroonie.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

AAWA changed their name and installed board members that were real identifiable personas. While some of the dissension at its outset may have been overly aggressive from a band of JWN posters, they were ultimately right on target. These were points of contention for many, even for supporters of AAWA.

It would be refreshing if these points of contention could be categorized as constructive criticism and that AAWA made changes in part due to these criticisms.

Building a bridge between AAWA and even the most critical of the JWN community would be hugely advantageous for the entire ExJW community.

I am grateful for those who respectfully motioned for change and I am grateful that AAWA is not to set in stone not to make changes.

AAWA has produced some remarkable video and appears to be making headway on multiple levels in exposing harmful policies of the WT.

As an ExJW how is it possible not to support that effort or at least give a distant nod of "well done" ?

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I don't see that it's time yet for that. I can see the flames still burning. I'm not judging — I do hope that a bridge can be made.
    I really do...

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

The flames are still burning. And just recently it was postulated through a new thread that it would be nice to have some interaction with AAWA board members on this forum. They are here. And many AAWA Supporters/volunteers are also here. Yet I believe they are hesitant to post here or even hint at their support. That is disheartening. Perhaps as you suggest, more time and testing will lay down a path of olive branches. This forum and AAWA have some spectacular human beings with very amicable personalities. The underlying fuck you with a smile as things stand is a real bummer and I hope it can improve somehow.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I am one of them. I volunteer and I'm proud to be a modest supporter of AAWA. But I do respect the request to not promote here.
    Hopefully, things will eventually work out.

It's true what they say about atheists, and it's also true for exJWs... it's like herding cats. The fact that we are all independant thinkers makes it difficult to accept new organizations.
    It makes total sense. But we do mature... and organizations that have a common goal tend to practice more flexibility in time. It's not an easy thing, I'll grant you that.
    Some hard feelings are hard to die. That's just being human. I want to believe there is no bad guy — just frustrated egos. Again, we're only human.

• Simon
    Simon

Unfortunately the bad feeling keeps being rekindled at every opportunity. Really, when the leaders of the group repeatedly make insults and skulk around here antagonising people you have to ask - who's actually responsible for keeping the bad feeling going? Not that there isn't some blame on the other side but c'mon - most of this is down to a few peoples inability to take on criticism which was inevitable and frankly, pretty obvious (it was the dumbest name ever, doesn't everyone agree now?)

We are not going to their site attacking people. This original topic is a perfect example of people providing good, useful and valuable feedback for free and having it spat back in their face and others doing a bad job communicating and dealing with people.

I'm more than wiling to move on but I don't think I'm the one you need to convince. Sadly, some have taken such extreme positions that I don't think they can step back from them although the one glimmer is that they have been completely sure and adamant of their position before and then done a complete 180 about turn.

It would be helpful though if we weren't blamed every time they got the 'new light' that we already told them about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit