AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I think most would prefer a 3 letter acronym over anything else and I am glad the group have not taken offence to the suggestions about the name.

I'm certainly pleased you have something moving and up and running and recognise it will never be perfect from the start, and to faff about trying too hard to make it perfect before launch would mean it ends up losing impetus.

The name was a turn off for me but I'd take a suck it and see attitude to it and see what the news outlets have to say about it, positive and negative. if you get the vibe that they avoid "Activist" or "Anti" groups due to negative connotations then it would be a good sign the name is not working for you and your aims.

• cedars
    cedars

Witness My Fury

The name was a turn off for me but I'd take a suck it and see attitude to it and see what the news outlets have to say about it, positive and negative.

I appreciate you taking this approach. As Juan Viejo2 says, we are always happy to accept any suggestions, but the reality is that we are legally incorporated as The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists. We have launched under than name through use of a video that took me over a month to produce. We will therefore, in reality, be keeping the name - and the "proof of the pudding" will be seen in how people respond to us. So far links are being established with at least two other organizations with more to follow. We have had a steady stream of donations since Wednesday, and I have nearly 80 volunteer applications to trawl through and make assignments from.

Early indications are that the name isn't such a huge turn-off in terms of gaining support. We are proud of our name and will be sticking with it, even though we always appreciate feedback. I'm sure everyone understands that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but once decisions are made sometimes you need to stick to them and see them through. Rather than focus on our name, we ask people to focus on our Mission Statement, which explains what our name means and what we are all about. So far people are clearly doing that, because the response to AAWA so far has been almost too overwhelming for me to handle.

Cedars

• SaritaJ
    SaritaJ

This is a very positive development.The Conti case lead to my awakening from a watchtower induced trance.
    I have been a lurker on this website since August last year and have recently registered.
    I have visited JW survey, JW facts, Jw Struggle, Barbara Anderson's website, Shilmer's blog and many others.
    After having all this information, my next question was: what next?

This association is a fantastic initiative.Thanks and congratulations to all those who came up with the idea(Don't we just love this idea LOL)

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Not quite sure how to put this, so please dont read negatively into it and I will just ask it plain as day:

What sort of money do you need to run this? Initially, then monthly, yearly, ongoing?

Obviously the higher the editorial quality is the better the impact and the more likely you will be to be viewed as "professional" for news organisations to go to for comment etc. I'm making the assumption that having more money will impact positively on that quality. Would that be a correct assumption?

• cedars
    cedars

Witness My Fury

Obviously the higher the editorial quality is the better the impact and the more likely you will be to be viewed as "professional" for news organisations to go to for comment etc. I'm making the assumption that having more money will impact positively on that quality. Would that be a correct assumption?

Absolutely. For example, I produced our video myself using Windows Movie Maker on an asthmatic computer. I am creative and I know my way around a computer but I do not consider myself a video producer by any stretch. I personally regard our video as far from perfect, and the flaws are obvious to me. Even so, hopefully the response the video is receiving shows how powerful this medium is for getting a message across, regardless of the quality. Imagine what we could produce if we were able to allocate budgets to video-making, and produce sleek infomercials as Watchtower has started doing? Videos are just one area in which funding is beneficial - there are others. We won't know what our budget is until we see how much money is coming in each month consistently. It's still early days. So far, based on the last couple of days, the prognosis is good.

Cedars

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Call me a silly billy but to me the name is not an overly important issue.

If it becomes such as observed by media (ETC) reaction, is it easily changed?

I believe the work and support for others is the main thing. unless hindered by the name

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The name is a mistake, it is a gift to those who froth at the mouth about apostates.

It should be centered around Watchtower awareness or similar.

• cedars
    cedars

Pistoff

The name is a mistake, it is a gift to those who froth at the mouth about apostates.

It should be centered around Watchtower awareness or similar.

Thanks for your observations. As I said before, time will tell. The early signs are promising.

Cedars

• maisha
    maisha

GREAT NEWS

• Borges
    Borges

I like the name because it is a honest one. It describes perfectly the goal of the association - beeing active against the watchtower and its harmfull policies. I dont see this association as a haven for those seeking tranquility after cruising the stormy waters of the cult. It is a battleship, heading out to confront the opponent in open water.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit