How do I as a future "Therapist" help ex-jws that won't move on from the WT?

by booker-t 84 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Danmera, I second your comment. Bromac, creepy yet, I had the exact same observation this afternoon. Weird.

booker-t, I keep myself very busy with volunteer activities, where I've met new friends. I only found out about this site a couple of months ago and I love it! I want to help others leave! "The truth" shaped me into the person I am, in many positive ways. I don't choose to have regrets about it. I just want to grow, learn and be there for others. Keep in mind, it is hard to walk away from something that you thought made you better and more secure than billions of other people. Misguided as we were, we all have people we stil wish were out or on their way out.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

I see this was covered, but when I thought about it.. had to reply

How are you going to help depressed people that won't get over it and move on?

or OCD people who won't quit counting the times they flush the toilet, repeatedly wash there hands..

I read your Bio.. this has been a pet peave of yours for some time... get over it, move on .. some XJW's hate the org and want to spend more time fighting it..

For me, I find great comfort here, finally amongst people who know what it's like..this is the only place for that.. I don't really know anyone here, but no one feels like a stranger..

But again I ask .. why ask here? don't they cover this in your classes.. or were you just trying to help everyone here..

I also Ask because years ago while in therapy I brought up JW stuff and the therapist kept wanting go deeper, but I refused, I feared he would tell me to go back and I didn't want too..

so please tell me what is the current understanding of XJWs in field in which you say you are seeking a masters? Do the address it ?

I also notice a low post count for some one whos been on the site for several years.. so I won't hold my breath for an answer..

Thanks Tate

• moshe
    moshe

I think some folks are so needy of family approval that they will allow themselves to be treated like a doormat and in so doing miss out on the best chance for the real life they were meant to live. If they are OK with living a life dictated by WT rules through JW relatives, there isn't much hope for therapy to free them.

They are also empowering the JWs, because the Witnesses see weak ones, fading ones and disassociated/df'd relatives still begging for mumsy and popsy's, brother and sister, grown children and old JW friends approval- the addiction is so strong for that pat on the head, that they will never be their own person and their life will be on a canvas that has the borders painted in by JWs under WT mind control. Kicking the can down the road is not a plan, it's an excuse to avoid pain and then comes the recovery.

And lying- that is at the root of all of it. Without lies, the charade couldn't last- the truth would cause pain, but you would have your real life back and could move forward.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Booker-T's Rx for pain

Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime
    His sister had another one, she paid it for a lime.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up
    She put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up,
    And said, "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
    I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?
    I say, Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
    I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"
    "Now let me get this straight ",
    Put the lime in the coconut, you drank them both up
    Put the lime in the coconut, you called your doctor, woke him up,
    And say, 'Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,
    I say, Doctor, doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
    I say, Doctor, dooooctor, to relieve this belly ache?'
    Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both together,
    Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better,
    Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up,
    Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the morning
    Wouh wouh wouh wouh wouh
    Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime
    His sister had another one, she paid it for a lime.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up,
    She put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up,
    Say "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
    I say, Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
    I say Doctor! let me get this straight".
    You put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up,
    Put the lime in the coconut, you such a silly woman!,
    Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better.
    Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both down
    Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the morning
    Woo Woo, ain't there nothin' you can take, I say
    Woo Woo, to relieve my belly ache,
    You say woo woo ain't there nothin' I can take, I say
    Woo woo, to relieve your belly ache,
    You say yah yah, ain't there nothin' I can take, I say
    Waah waah, to relieve this belly ache,
    I say doctor!, ain't there nothin' I can take,
    I say Doctor!, you such a silly woman!,
    Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better,
    Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up,
    Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the moooooorning,
    Yes, you call me in the morning,
    If you call me in the morning, then [X5]

• laverite
    laverite

Booker - I am a psychology professor, and I have degrees in both psychology and sociology. I am unaware of any combined MA in psychology/sociology that is a program in counseling that leads to fulfilling the educational requirements for licensure as a therapist or counselor in any state. Are you in a sociology MA program studying sociological social psychology (which is not a therapy/counseling program)?

• talesin
    talesin

You need to learn one of the first rules of therapy.

People have to be ready to change / work on themselves. You can't force it.

xo

tal

• dismal bliss
  • AuntConnie
    AuntConnie

Perfect example of a worldy education taking up someone's valuable time for decades, poor person spent the last twenty five years in college and has not finished his degree. You need to help yourself, your not getting any younger and by the time you get your degree, we could be in the New Order. I hope he has liability insurance if he is going to say he has a M.A. and give out advice, never know when you might help the wrong person and get sued.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

RELAX Everybody, You aren't laying on Booker's couch so stop the gang beat down, OK? Booker asked a legit question, if it hit a nerve with you, well then what do you think that means?

Booker- if you have not ran out of JWN town with an angry mob on your heels I have this to say. I understand where you are coming from and here are my conclusions. I think as a therapist/counselor you should look for the universal themes that cause a lot of emotional disorders. When I say universal themes, I mean those themes like rejection from a parent, suffering a major loss or unstable enviroment, etc..etc.. 99% of people raised as a JW will have these themes in their past. 99% of people that convert will have these themes in their early life but the cause might be different, ie: divorce, drinking, mental illness of a parent. The point is in my opinion, not getting caught up in the story (the why) but rather re-focusing on the what (the pain). The pain is the same no matter what the cause and can be treated the same.

As you can see this board is full of a lot of unaddressed pain. A good therapist should be able to help someone reflect and realize their anger is really not towards the WTBS as much as it is towards their mother for not protecting them or providing a happier childhood (just to give my own example). No one including myself wants to face that reality very easily. Once I did, I realized my issues were with my Parents for being idiots and not the WTBS as much. It's like a kid of a drunk being mad at Budweiser for their Dad not being around. It's scary though because it means giving up a lot of hate that is filling a lot of time and energy in some lives. Some people will never stop and reflect and your efforts should not be wasted on them until they are ready. Good Luck, there are many people that need your help and will benefit from a therapist that understands.

-CF

• AuntConnie
    AuntConnie

One small tid bit of advice, the majority of people who claim to have degrees online don't, especially when they claim to have a Master's Degree. Cagefighter don't be so naive, it's a gimmick to attribute authority to their thread and seek out the gullible.

The therapist is still working on this thesis and needs another extension (Eighteen Extensions the head of the faculty has given him or her), most Master's will not brag about their college and those who brag usually might have a A.A or A.S at the most. I did my good deed and now I am done with this person, think hard please, it's hard to get someone with a M or phd to say so, their afraid of people wanting their advice. back to normal, I need to take some medication, it's wearing off now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit