Just wondering what is the JWs stance on the existance of dinosaurs ???

by AMO 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was talking to a long time JDub pioneer sister a while back, and just threw into the conversation about Dino's dying out 65 million years ago,

she laughed and said "Is that what they say?"

I replied, "That isn't just what the scientists say, that is a fact".

She looked puzzled, I should have asked what her thoughts on Dino's were, as her belief would have been current WT teaching, whatever it is, the Dino's dying out that long ago is never mentioned by the WT apparently, .... or evidently.

No surprise about that, although they have quietly dropped the 7,000 year long Creative Days beloved of Freddie Franz, they still go with "Bible chronolgy" and obviously the creative days have to be of equal length, so if Dino's were created during the 5th day as they say, and they died out that long ago, the Seventh creative, but Rest, day must have several millions of years yet to run, how many overlapping generations is that then ?

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

Good stuff Phizzy.

I never realised that catch-22 situation before. They can't have it both ways.

• Pickler
    Pickler

Maybe the Nephilim kept them as pets?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I remember it mentioned that by the time the dinosaus were created the earth would have been like a huge jungle and were needed to clear away all that foliage and when their job was done Jah would have killed them.....

• brainmelt
    brainmelt

The last article I can find on the WT library is from Awake 1990, this is a snippet of it:

The Genesis Account and Dinosaurs
    While the radioactive dating method is innovative, it is still based on speculation and assumption. In contrast, the Bible account in the first chapter of Genesis simply states the general order of creation. It allows for possibly thousands of millions of years for the formation of the earth and many millenniums in six creative eras, or “days,” to prepare the earth for human habitation.
    Some dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) may indeed have been created in the fifth era listed in Genesis, when the Bible says that God made “flying creatures” and “great sea monsters.” Perhaps other types of dinosaurs were created in the sixth epoch. The vast array of dinosaurs with their huge appetites would have been appropriate considering the abundant vegetation that evidently existed in their time.—Genesis 1:20-24.
    When the dinosaurs had fulfilled their purpose, God ended their life. But the Bible is silent on how he did that or when. We can be sure that dinosaurs were created by Jehovah for a purpose, even if we do not fully understand that purpose at this time. They were no mistake, no product of evolution. That they suddenly appear in the fossil record unconnected to any fossil ancestors, and also disappear without leaving connecting fossil links, is evidence against the view that such animals gradually evolved over millions of years of time. Thus, the fossil record does not support the evolution theory. Instead, it harmonizes with the Bible’s view of creative acts of God.

It was actually this badly written article that started me on my search for the truth. My son loves dinosaurs and I realised I knew nothing about them and started to research them, realised how far off the WT explanation was from actual science and I set off to discover what else they were making up. A lot, as it turns out...

My uber-dub father in law thinks dinosaurs were created along with the other animals and were vegetarian. He thinks that if they ate meat it would only have been other dead dinosaurs and fish. He thinks carbon dating is only accurate for things after the flood. Its worrying really.

Brainmelt.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Most J-dubs I know wouldn't dispute the dinosaur fossil record, although not everyone. I observed the following conversations between two recent JW high school graduates (although come to think of it, one was "home schooled"):

"Dinosaurs? Haha...don't be an idiot. Don't you know that they didn't really exist? They're a myth scientists made up to support evolution."

"No, dinosaurs DID exist. Haven't you seen the fossils? It's CAVEMEN that are the ones that didn't really exist!"

"Ohhh....right, okay!"

AWAKE! education at its finest.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Tch tch, you guys The Society doesn't teach that dinos died in the Flood. Perhaps some Witnesses assume that, though, because they are lacking in scientific curiosity and the Society has been fairly mum on the subject (no sense taking a stance on something tangential that most people don't think about). LouBelle and newdawnfades (welcome, btw) were right on the ball when it comes to the common JW explanations for dinosaurs.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Brainmelt's post of the article from Awake 1990 tells JW's a few things and the rest is irrelevant to them:

Any of Man's methods of dating these things is "wrong." (That's a reminder that "radioactive" carbon dating must be off because of the flood.)
    Even if it's not all that wrong, the idea of millions of years does not mean the Bible is "wrong."
    The Bible is "right."
    Evolution is clearly shown to be "wrong."

• cantleave
    cantleave

Not all types of dinosaurs were of such gigantic size. Hence, even if they had survived till the Flood, this would not have required taking pairs of the mammoth varieties into the ark.

What fuckwits!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit