Just wondering what is the JWs stance on the existance of dinosaurs ???

by AMO 28 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

I remember the old green bible with dinosauers on the cover LOL.

>

Oh geeze imagine dragging your sandled feet door to door ,

in bible times, with a sheepskin bag full of scrolls to place

with the illiterate householders ...

and around the corner comes a huge dinosauer

hell bent for breakfast!!!!!!!!! & you are the breakfast!

clarity

• mP
    mP

I cant remember where but i seem to recall reading somewhere that ancient peples occcasionally found dinosaurs and from that their imagination expanded them into deamons and dragons. So possibly dinos are mentioned in the BIble but not as extinct animals, but as angels, demons and all the colourful nonsense we see in Ezekiel with his wheeled fire thingo and Revelation etc.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

In the late 60's when I asked an elder about this I was told that they were maybe an experiment by YHWH. Really a non-answer but enough to satisfy a gullible first grader at the time.

• clarity
    clarity

" what witnesses who are still in believe today,"

>

Does anybody in da "truth" really care or know what is truth, or

even what GB say is truth ...think that answer would be a NO!!!!!!!

>

They just sorta lived & ate trees (no gardeners with pruning shears yet)

and when the ..... flood came they just ...... drowned... that's it!

>

Gb... will perhaps try to do a better story soon, well as soon as they

figure out who they are...for sure, & this time it may be a bit more

scientific ...well you know..they are not perfect.

I have a headache

clarity

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

mP >>I cant remember where but i seem to recall reading somewhere that ancient peples occcasionally found dinosaurs and from that their imagination expanded them into deamons and dragons.

Whatever you read was horseshit.

Dinosaurs died out around 65 million years ago. Modern humans have only been around for less than 1 million years. Humans and dinosaurs were separated by more than 60 million years. They have NEVER co-existed.

This is basic high school biology.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

That some of them might have died in the Flood, but that the vast majority died earlier, thru catastrophes or other occurances. If you search the CDRom, you will find some special issues of Awake! covering the topic of dinosaurs not THAT long ago, 10 years or so, and the question of when and how they died was also covered. I do not have it at hand right now. There was a picture of a long-necked dino on the front.I don't think there are any ideas about co-existence between them and man. Apart from a funny picture or two on some covers, as shown.

Voltaire or Rousseau - I do not remember which one, but one of them it was - dismissed the whole idea of fossils, and thought the bones found were leftovers from previously held lunches; so not everyone has always been quite up-to-date :-)

Schroeder of the GB told me they made huge food reservoirs for other animals when they died individually, and that of course is correct, but does not relate to the dying out - question.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

With no "noo lite" I guess this is still their stance and hasn't changed since 1973

*** w73 7/15 p. 447 Questions From Readers ***

Questions From Readers

? When did God create dinosaurs, and when did they become extinct?—U.S.A.

The Bible does not provide specific answers to this question. According to the Genesis account, animals were created during the fifth and sixth creative periods or ‘days.’ If the Hebrew expression translated “great sea monsters” [Hebrew, tan·ni·nim′] includes dinosaurs, which often inhabited swampy, watery areas, this would mean that dinosaurs were created on the fifth “day.” (Gen. 1:21) We do not know whether they continued to exist until man was created (toward the close of the sixth “day”). At the very latest it seems likely that they must have disappeared off the earth at the time of the flood of Noah’s day. Dinosaurs were reptiles, and some kinds of dinosaurs bear strong resemblance structurally and otherwise to lizards (sauros is, in fact, the Greek word for “lizard”; saura in Leviticus 11:29, LXX). Not all types of dinosaurs were of such gigantic size. Hence, even if they had survived till the Flood, this would not have required taking pairs of the mammoth varieties into the ark. Other smaller members of the particular family or “kind” to which these belonged would have sufficed to fulfill the divine command.—Gen. 6:19, 20; 7:14.

Some of the older translations of the Bible at times use the word “dragons” to translate the Hebrew tan·ni·nim′ (“sea monsters,” NW). (Ps. 74:13; 148:7; Isa. 27:1, Authorized Version) The term “dragon” (Greek, dra′kon) is found in the Christian Greek Scriptures. It has been suggested as possible that, rather than having a purely mythical source, this expression may originally have been applied to enormous creatures such as the dinosaurs, taking on mythical tones only after these mammoth creatures had long disappeared. Interestingly, many of the mythical depictions of the “dragon” strongly resemble certain types within the family of huge reptilian creatures that includes the dinosaur.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

They went extinct when the green bible was discomtinued

• stillin
    stillin

In this vein, my congregation had a COthat posed the question to the congregation, " what would you like to do in the paradise earth?" He got the standard answers; pet a lion, live on a mountaintop, etc. I raised my hand and said that I would like to ride a dinosaur. His face froze and the silence was deafening.

I had my little laugh.

• newdawnfades
    newdawnfades

The dinosaurs and their purpose are very rarely mentioned by JW's. The extinction of of over 90% everything that God ever created is a puzzler for JW's, especially since it was all good. The fact that most of it wasn't good enough is difficult to explain. So most JWs believe that previous life forms served a purpose in preparing the earth for us. A lot of extinct life decayed and turned into oil to provide petrol for cars for CO's and field service car groups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit