I've been studying for about a year now...

by Meow921 161 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Will Power
    Will Power

bttt, for you know

• out4good3
    out4good3

I noticed that YK said nothing about the doctrinal flip-flops, the UN revelation, of the scare tactic JW psychobable they'll use to lure you into being a slave of thier publishing company. Just the same old canned answers coming from his real God, the old men in Brooklyn.

I said QUOTE]Stick to the issues you brought out and remind them that if what they have is the "real truth", one should not be afraid of other literature and that it should be able to withstand some scrutiny.To which he replied

That is typical apostate reasoning and it goes directly counter to the Bible's counsel, such as Paul's words at 1 Timothy 6:3-5, which reads: " If any man teaches other doctrine and does not assent to healthful words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, nor to the teaching that accords with godly devotion, he is puffed up with pride not understanding anything, but being mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words. From these things spring envy, strife, abusive speeches, wicked suspicions, violent disputes about trifles on the part of men corrupted in mind and despoiled of the truth." Apostates have absolutely nothing of value to offer you. They only want to corrupt you. Like I told you, many of the XJWs on this board are extremely immoral and corrupt but they are so puffed up with arrogance that they also try to pass themselves off as experts on matters of spiritual truth. [/quote]

This was the answer I took hook, line, and sinker too when I was studying. They are well versed in pulling out scriptures to suit whatever point they're trying to make. And when scripture doesn't work, they'll always turn to personal attacks on your character for daring to question their authority. This same scripture can be applied to all those in the governing body who through the years have sprouted forth false doctrines that have caused "envy, strife, abusive speeches, wicked suspicions, violent disputes about trifles on the part of men corrupted in mind and despoiled of the truth"(quote from the scriptured YK cites). All from a GB and Elder Class who themselves are puffed up with pride. Ask about the everchanging doctrines, the UN revelation, the poor excuses blaming their failured predictions on either God or the R&F for "running ahead". Ask them has the Society EVER apologised for a mistake or for that fact committed one. To them the WTBTS is perfection on earth, seperate but equal to God himself. While they'll tell you that their motivation is to protect the congregation, their real motivation is to protect the image of the WTS.

Meow921,

Whatever decision you make about being a JW, be sure to make an informed one. Get both sides of the organization and not just the rosy one they want you to see. Be careful that you're not wasting what could possibly be the most productive and best years of your life as a slave peddling magazines door to door for what stripped down amounts to a United States publishing empire.

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

Meow,

For the most, Jehovah's Witnesses are among the nicest people you meet. They really are -- as long as you go with the program. If you don't go along, they'll dump you in a literal instant. They feel in their heart that they are serving God in the right way. I have to agree with Fire Dragon, though: there is something very wrong in any organization that will expel you just for looking at opposing viewpoints. (Yes, it's true.) While you're studying, they'll probably invite you to gatherings or out to eat or to other outings, but if you change your mind about studying, you will be dropped, as if you never existed. I know -- for I've done it in the past.

The person posting here as "You Know" might a troll (i.e. an Internet kook just looking to rile feathers), or it might be a real JW. If "You Know" is a JW, then he (or she) is not a very devout one; otherwise he wouldn't be here in the forum.

My advice is not to accept everything you're taught just because it "tickles the ear" -- that is, because it sounds right. Conversely, don't accept everything "apostates" (ones who left the organization and subsequently turned "against" it) say either. Verify everything. Witnesses play dirty in that they vilify apostates. They misrepresent them to appear as deceitful liars. In truth, "apostates" are often ones who just disagree with the Society's admittedly odd interpretation of things. Many -- and probably most -- such ones are good, decent people that simply disagee with the Society. Are apostates liars? The percentage is no more higher than is the percentage of everybody on earth that are liars. Be careful about apostate scare tactics. The facts should stand on their own. It's all about facts. (Be wary of the concept of faith too; if you have to convince yourself to believe something, then something isn't right.)

Personally, I believe that too many religions use the "last days" dogma to their advantage. It's been the "last days" for several decades, and it will continue to be the last days when today's generation (define that how you want to) dies, and when their children die, and when their children's children die. Don't be fooled.

In the end, though, it's your decision. Just do your research about the Society. And keep a critical mind about you.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    "For they utter swelling expressions of no profit, and by the desires of the flesh and by loose habits they intice those who are just escaping from people who conduct themselves in error. While they are promising them freedom, they themselves are existing as slave of corruption. For whoever is overcome by another is enslaved by this one."

You Know used the above and said it applied to us Non JW's, I turn the scripture right back around on him. If you become involved with the JW's you will become enslaved to them, not God, but to the Borganization.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• JBean
    JBean

Meow... please tell us what you think of all these replies. I'm curious to know what "strikes a chord" with you. And it's very true what most have said... sure, it's no problem whatsoever if, after you're baptised, you change your mind and want to leave the organization. No problem whatsoever if leaving behind your JW friends, family & entire support system doesn't bother you a bit. Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT, I repeat: DO NOT abandon your non-JW friends and family. The JW's will tell you this is necessary, to limit your friendships with the "world" because they'll quote "bad associations spoil useful habits." I tell you in all seriousness, it's only my cultivated relationships with people OUTSIDE of the organization that are keeping me sane. Jbean

• TheStar
    TheStar

Hi Meow,

You've done a smart thing to ask about this religion before dedicating yourself to it. I wish I had done this 6 years ago when I became a JW. If I had, I would not be going through the misery that I now face because of becoming a baptized member.

I know what you are learning from them seems to make sense to you, as it did to me years ago. I have to hand it to the WT for creating one of the most clever religious scams probably to ever exist and it is so easy for anyone, especially if you are in a vulnerable state (like I was), to be convinced that what they are teaching you is truth. In reality what they are doing is making clever well contrived arguments to control your mind and convince you that they are the only true religion on the earth. Once your mind has accepted this, it will be easy for your mind to also accept all the false doctrines they teach, even if you have some doubts in your mind. This is exactly what happened to me. Think about the blood issue, have you done a well researched study of the blood issue? By research I mean looking into not only what the bible says or what JWs tell you the scriptures on blood mean but research on what other religions say and what the medical community says. There are times when blood is necessary. If you are in a car accident and you loose too much blood no blood expander or anything is going to save your life, only blood will. I knew this, yet once I was convinced that the JWs were the only true religion, I felt that obstaining from blood regardless if I die would be the right thing to do so as to please God. You see that little red book you are studying out of called "The Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life" is a tool used for the sole purpose of getting you baptized, getting you convinced that the Governing Body in Brooklyn has a special relationship with God and you are to listen to their every word or else you are not accepted by God. If you read up on mind control tactics and cult trates, you will find that JWs follow the cult pattern.

Others here have advised you to read "Crisis of Conscience" I also suggest you do so. I also suggest you read up on cults and mind control and also read about other religions and their view of christianity etc. Look for info on the net. There are many useful websites that will help you become knowledgable of what the JW religion really is. Stick around here and read and ask questions, we'll be glad to help. Above all you should think for yourself and not let anyone think for you. You should make a close examination of everything and decide for yourself and you should never feel pressured to do anything you are not ready for.

Like I said, I wish I had done this myself 6 years ago but I foolishly let myself be decieved and now I'm having to pay a big price and the price is only getting higher as I make my way out of the organization and try to gain back the freedom I lost by becoming a JW. Don't let this happen to you. You have the power to make your life whatever you want it to be, don't let anyone rob you of that, ever.

Email me anytime if you'd like, use the envelope icon under my name to send me an email.

I wish you the best,
    Star

"We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel... There should be full liberty of conscience." -- WT April 1, 1920, p. 100, 101

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

Meow,

Do your homework now, because once you're a dub, you won't be allowed to read anything that is about the witnesses that doesn't come straight from the organization. So, you're not baptized, so do it NOW!

I disassociated myself, but eventually if I kept asking questions it was obvious that they would try to disfellowship me for being "doubtful" on certain issues.

I know that if you've studied for a year that you're most likely the sort to learn all about something thoroughly before jumping into it. I grew up with it so it was an emotional thing for me to get more involved. As much as it hurt to realize that they aren't any closer to God than anyone else, I did grow and gather many good skills as a witness. I think it helped me be a more moral person, but it also alieniated me from most of my other relatives.

I hope you find something that brings you peace and comfort,

Anne

• Satanus
    Satanus

Meow

I was dfd. My only 'crimes' were thinking i might be 'anointed', and asking questions. They were very sincere questions. I asked the elder tribunal if they would like to show me where my reasons for questions were wrong. They were totally silent. Instead they dfd me. They said they couldn't let me run around loose. I lost almost all my 'friends', family, job, money.

SS

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

AvailableLight:

No matter how clever wording may be, if something is the truth it is indisputable. Don't you think this would be especially the case where God's word the Bible is concerned? Therefore if the JWs really have the true religion, it wouldn't matter what any "apostate" had to say.

What you said there is so very true!

Meow921:
    Here are a few scriptures from the New World Translation that are pertinent:
    Keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord”—Ephesians 5:10
    Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine.”—1 Thessalonians 5:21
    Keep testing whether YOU are in the faith, keep proving what YOU yourselves are.”—2 Corinthians 13:5
    Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching. Stay by these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.”—1 Timothy 4:16
    “Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps”—Proverbs 14:15

And the best one that proves that no one on earth, or in the Spirit realm could ruin your relationship with God or Christ, [Obviously including Ex-Witness’ literature]:

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come nor powers nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God’s love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”—Romans 8:38, 39

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Meow, I was raised a JW , so I never had the choice on what to beleive growing up. I am know 35 yrs old and it hasnt been a year since I have left, it has been the hardest thing in my life to do.
    But I swear that it is the right thing for me to do. I started having doubts and thank God for the internet to help me open my poor little closed , brainwashed mind. For the first time in my life , I started to think, on my own, without a watchtower or someone telling me what the Bible is saying. I started reading just the Bible and with an open mind started to see things that were in contrast to what JW have told me all of my life. I am still in the recovery stage, and I still dont know what the real whole truth about the Bible is saying, maybe I never will, but I know enough already to know that the JW are not the real truth, some of the things they teach are "pretty" sayings but it is not real truth. Just have an open mind, weigh the things you are learning with JW with careful study about their history , which by the way will blow your mind, and remember knowledge is power!
    I truly think if our faith in what we beleive is strong and true , we can look up and question it , put it to the test. I know from experience once you are baptised you will never be able to question anything, you just have to accept all the new changes they decided to come up with weither you like it or not. So take the time NOW and question, before it is too late.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit