What is the most powerful album that you have ever listened to?

by zed is dead 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Pink floyd at pompei, video is powerful.

S

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Pearl Jam - Ten "Evenflow" "Jeremy" "Black" "Alive" - Read the lyrics and hear the desperation of a 15 year OLD JW hearing these songs. Awesome power and message.

Hell yes I can relate to that but you forgot Release. My father died when I was kid and Eddie lost his father when he was young, and when he sings that line, "oh dear Dad.... can you see me now?... I am myself.... like you somehow", it gives me chills and makes me reflect on things. It is such a powerful song, awesome live. I am massive PJ fan.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I see several have nominated it already, but even if you don't happen to like the album or the band personally I think Pink Floyd's The Wall is THE powerful album for XJWs. It's clear, sometimes brutal themes of loss, abandonment, alienation, madness and ultimate despair and ostracism matches the JW life to a tee.

For those who aren't sure why so many have nominated it, the album follows Pink who grows up the harassed son of a neurotic and domineering mother after dad died in the war (the neurotic and domineering WTS even calls itself 'mother' as if to make the parallel clear!). Pink's life spirals out of control until he's had enough and builds a wall as a barrier between him and his world: something many unhappy JWs do just to survive trapped in the con they are God's chosen people and God chose a bloody awful life for them. He goes mad in his own bedevilled world behind the wall, like JWs sometimes do, then as the wall crumbles he has to face the awful reality of life and his place in it.

Well, that's what I think it's about anyhow. I thought that as a young and miserable JW boy feeling abandoned to a mad and horrible world of alienation, repression and quiet desperation. It helped me stay a bit sane knowing somoene else knew and gave me songs about it.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Ozzmosis - Ozzy Osbourne

• Pickler
    Pickler

I can't believe I left out Pearl Jam, seeing as I still listen to them constantly, can't pick a best album because they are all good. There is no bad PJ album!

After I was DF I was in a bar somewhere late at night, and Alive came on, everyone stopped what they were doing and sang along.....I'll never forget that moment, it resonated so much with my life at that time. It's all about survival!

• krejames
    krejames

My goodness I've got so much catching up to do. Especially with Pink Floyd and Pearl Jam it seems, Great thread Zed

• Terry
    Terry

Gate of Dreams by Claus Ogerman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC7fu_Cry_Y

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Joe Satriani Surfing With the Alien

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

The Wall is great...also loved The Doors, Led Zeppelin and Hotel California

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Oh, and Supertramp's BREAKFAST IN AMERICA seemed to just reach into my soul, even more now that I am no longer living in "the lie."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k3JVfxluFU

It's hard to find Supertramp videos of the studio version, this one has the studio music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YstSV2ydMk8

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit