Ok I need some advice on how to decline an elder's appointment....

by suavojr 73 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    "I'm not interested in being an elder." If they press the issue, follow up with, "Please respect my decision."

That was it. Many people don't want to be elders. You could add in truthful statements if you want: "I don't want to have the responsibility of sitting in judgement." Stuff like that.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

2+2=5 Great advice!!!, yeah bro, tell em you got problems watching their masterbation video!!!

• clarity
    clarity

When I look at your avatar ...... oh wow I'd sure believe your

migraines were coming back !

clarity

• suavojr
    suavojr

I only have 1 post left for the next 19 hours...

BTW Thank you everyone for the help and advice. Some ask why just not say no? because I've worked hard withing the borg to get where I am and saying NO would seem to the elders suspicious, if I don't play my cards right. GromitSK made a few points that I am worried about, for example: it's not necessarily quite as simple as just saying 'no thanks'. this is seen as the pinnacle of their achievement. The recognition, the authority, the stamp of approval from the Borganisation and Big J himself, why on earth would any person decline this honor Especially after working so hard for 'Kingdom Interests' as a pioneer? Also, don't forget I am walking among wolves and that is not sarcasm or an extreme view that I am stating. I have lived it in my past and have seen the carnage. I will plan my escape route carefully and will keep you all updated. Thanks, Suavojr
  • RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

suavojr they cannot make you do anything you don't want to do...the next most pressing thing is stepping down as an MS. I used health problems as my reason to step down. Depression, stress, panic attacks are also really good reasons to give them if you feel comfortable with that or it applies. They will meet with you after you submit your letter. Reiterate what is in that, then your fade begins...

• prologos
    prologos

James 3: 1,2:--" Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers , knowing that we shall receive HEAVIER JUDGENENT, 2 For we stumble many times---"

Thank them for the proposed honor, tell them if they realized the position they put themselfs in, they would know why you are shying away.

better to be not appointed then disappointed.

Live your own life.

• mind blown
    mind blown

As head of your household you are responsible for your OWN family. Period/Bottom Line. Your work schedual is heavy, and the time you have after work is for keeping your household/family in tact. So you can't accecpt this position.

Stay away from saying maybe in the future, as the will continue to keep you in mind.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The problem is that being a MS plus regular pioneer with my wife as well I not something easy to juggle.

That makes it easy to decline: Simply put, you cannot cope with the added responsibility of being an elder and still continue pioneersing. Isn't it obvious which could save more lives and is thus more important? Too bad more of those Elders don't step-down to pioneer.

Doc

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

suavojr, just like DesirousOfChange said, your history of juggling being an MS with pioneering gives you any easy out. Plus you have months to prepare. Perhaps you might go back to the brother who just gave you the "heads-up" in short order and start prepping him for the fact that you don't want to be considered this time around.

"Brother Heads-up, I've been thinking and praying a lot about what we talked about. I've been working very hard for a long time, so much so that it's really begun taken its toll. The more I've thought about it lately--even before you talked to me-- the more I had actually been thinking about dialing it back a bit. So although I appreciate your kind words about the next CO's visit, I have to admit, I could almost feel the added weight on my shoulders just thinking about it. I just feel like if I keep going like this, I might just burn out, never mind adding additional responsibilities. I know that an elder needs to to give 100%, and I'm not in a place right now where I can do that after ensuring me and my household are spiritually strong. I hope your not disappointed in hearing this. I just don't want you and the CO to be disappointed if, when the time comes, I don't feel up to accepting assignment."

If you're bold enough, you can even use that conversation to bring up that you'd like to ask for a reduced load when it comes to meeting parts and/or MS responsibilities.

• moshe
    moshe
    Any ideas on how to decline the appointment and not raise suspicion?

Hmm, pull your keys out of your pocket at the KH in front of ONE the elders- when the keys come out, you will also have several scratch-off lottery tickets, too.

Mumble- "dang it, I meant to cash these in before the meeting." Later you can have amnesia and not remember anything, if you get cornered- your word against his--

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit