Misquotes, Lies and deception in Watchtower Publications

by jwfacts 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Just a tiny thing, but can you put a date on the quote from Studies In the Scriptures - The Day of Vengeance about 1914?

Also, getting the actual 605 quote from Assyrian and Babylonian Chronicles would be great, to hammer the point home. Likewise, having a scan of the quote from De Cruce Liber Tres about "the Lord's cross" would be great.

"(deligati adpalum)" -- you missed a space after "ad"

Anyway, this page is great, and a worthy addition to the site that helped me understand the truth about the truth. Thanks for the hard work!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

"dishonesty amongst Watchtower literacy" -- you probably mean "literature"?

But they do give us an elemental trinitarianism, the data from which such a formal doctrine of the Triune God may be formulated."

I think this whole statement should be bold because all of it was omitted from the WT.

"The great African fashioned the Latin language of the Trinity, and many of his words and phrases remained permanently in use: the words Trinitas and persona, the formulas 'one substance in three persons,' 'God from God, light from Light.' He uses the word substantia 400 times, as he uses consubstantialis and consubstantivus, but hasty conclusions cannot be drawn from usage, for he does not apply the words to Trinitarian theology"

The use of bold is confusing to the eye here, as all but the last half of the last sentence were omitted by WT, but then you emboldened the last phrase, which was in the WT. I guess I would recommend putting everything before "but hasty conclusions" in bold.

"The doctrine of the Holy Trinity is not taught in the OT. In many places of the OT however, expressions are used in which some of the Fathers of the Church saw references or foreshadowings of the Trinity."

Likewise here I think you should embolden everything after the first sentence to help the reader's eye latch onto what is not found in the WT quote.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

"later it will be discussed how Hitchings is presented as a scientist" -- Hitching

"Rutherford introduced that Jesus did not die on a cross" -- maybe "introduced the idea in Watchtower literature that"?

The mention of tacking is brief and will confuse many modern Witnesses, because tacking as an explanation has not been used for a long time. You might want to expand on that.

The heading for the section "Misquote Scriptures" should probably be "Misquoted Scriptures".

"unless they dishonestly adding a full stop" -- add

Sorry, but when someone asks me to proofread, it triggers my OCD. I know this is a lot of nitpicky feedback :)

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

"Of the many thousand of early New Testament fragments" -- thousands

"the word used in this passage is not YHWH but Kupiov or Kurios"

You shouldn't write "Kupiov" in Latin letters, as this changes the word and its pronunciation (for instance, the 'p' is actually "rho", that is, an 'r'). Use the Greek characters supplied in most modern fonts, as seen here.

"This has an important affect" -- effect is the noun, affect is a verb

"that outlines rules and procedure" -- procedures

"the article Why Some Are Disfellowshipped?" -- there's no '?' in the title

Yet notice the ambiguous way in which a Witness is to deal when questioned if only Witnesses will be saved

"is to deal" is fragmentary, maybe "is to answer"?

Okay, I think I'm done

• applehippie
    applehippie

Under the section on Misquoting Scripture, I found one typo-

"Read in full, the verse does not say what the Watchtower wants it to say, unless they dishonestly adding a full stop. " Needs to change to "dishonestly add a full stop."

Very interesting, yet distressing article- I am still finding out things I was not fully aware of.

Thank you for working so hard on this. I will be trying to find a way to share this with people I care about. Somehow.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Great Job Paul- re: The Plagiarism section I am fine with keeping the Live Forever example in, but suggest that you include the more powerful example of the WT cover that had to be changed because they stole the cover of a Reader's Digest magazine:

• Open mind
    Open mind

Very well done!

As an atheist, my eyes usually quickly scan past anything having to do with the Trinity. As a believing JW I was sick of arguing the Trinity and as an atheist, who cares what version of a deity believers pursue?

But WOW! Those cherry-picking, "let's throw in an ellipsis where it best suits our argument" Trinity misquotes are outrageous!

Thanks again.

om

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Great article jwfacts. I especially was interested in the Awake magazine’s underestimation of divorce among JWs.

Is there much ‘Hanky Panky’ among married JWs? My arithmetic tells me more than 4.9%.

The WT of April 1, 1989 page 13 par 12 states the following: ‘….. to the extent that almost 40,000 a year are disfellowshipped, most because of immorality. What a tragedy!’

My guess is that a high percentage of those ’40,000’ disfellowshipped (‘most because of immorality’) involve married couples, no doubt, with most cases resulting in divorce.

Simple arithmetic:

From 1989 through 2012 (40,000 X 23years) 920,000 were disfellowshipped. True, during these years we don’t know the exact number of those disfellowshipped that involved married couples and how many ended up in divorce, but safe to say it is far more than 4.9% of the JW population! More like in the mid double-digit range!

Isn’t speculation wonderful? I learned the art of speculation from ‘Mother’.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I really appreciate the comments and all the assistance with ideas and proof reading. I will fix the article over the weekend.

Ray Publisher - Great find. I'll add the Readers Digest images as well, but will need to look into it for more information. I love how they copied it, but erased one person so it would not seem like it was stolen.

Ann - lol "nail in the coffee". Great picture, my man brain was thinking more of a hammer and nail.

Justitia Themis - Most of my articles could do with a work over by you, or maybe I should do a writing course. MS Word grammar is always complaining that I am using passive voice, but I struggle to work out how to fix it. English Literature was never my strong point at school.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Ray Publisher - Great find. I'll add the Readers Digest images as well, but will need to look into it for more information. I love how they copied it, but erased one person so it would not seem like it was stolen.

Jwfacts, these links may be helpful. They both appear to cover basically the same information, including letters to and from Watchtower regarding the plagiairized photo.

http://www.watchtowerlies.com/watchtowerlies_063.htm

http://www.bibletopics.com/biblestudy/86.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit