Misquotes, Lies and deception in Watchtower Publications

by jwfacts 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

the conclusion is obvious.. there were no hot chicks at bethel to model for the picture.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Still reading, but just my two cents: be careful about technicalities.

The Watchtower has regularly lied about what it used to say prior to 1914, claiming it was correct about 1914, and has held to consistent teachings regarding that date. For instance, until 1930 Jesus' heavenly rule was taught to have commenced in 1878.

"The year A.D. 1878 … clearly marks the time for the actual assuming of power as King of kings, by our present, spiritual, invisible Lord - …" The Time is At Hand (1911 ed) p.239

Yet it is stated now stated that the Watchtower consistently placed this event as 1914.

"The Watchtower has consistently presented evidence to honest hearted students of Bible prophecy that Jesus’ presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914." Watchtower 1993 Jan 15 p.5

The quote you originally use is not from The Watchtower. The magazine, The Watchtower, was named such starting with the October 15, 1931 issue. They may be technically truthful in the w93 1/15 quote (though I doubt it.) The Watchtower when printed in italics as it is in the '93 article refers to the magazine, not the corporation. However, it is generallly accepted that The Watchtower is the same as The Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence and before that, Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence which started in 1879. So, if you're looking for a quote, stay strictly with the magazine, preferably one post-October 15, 1931, but one prior to that will work, too, due to general acceptance that The Watchtower has always been The Watchtower, but only under a different name. (Source: Proclaimer's book, p. 252 footnote)

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

BTW, excellent article on the whole.

I remember my biology teacher in 8th grade gave me back the Creation book after I gave it to him since we were studying evolution. He told me in no uncertain terms: 'I've read many of the books quoted in here, and I can tell you that they have been misquoted.' Of course, me a twelve year old, shrugged it off and figured he was truly stupid. Now, I know differently.

The misquotes are among the very biggest issues I have with this religion. Supposedly a truthful organization, I find they are anything but.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Excellent work.

Misquoting and journalistic dishonesty was the nail in the coffee that this organization was “The Truth”.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

(Passive) Jehovah’s Witnesses have strong conviction that the Governing body can be trusted and must not be questioned.

(Active) Jehovah’s Witnesses are utterly convinced that their church’s leadership—the Governing Body—is both trustworthy and unquestionable.

It's an excellent article; however, it contains many passive sentences. I prefer the active voice, but that is the preferred voice for my field.

• clarity
    clarity

JWfacts ...thanks for all your laborious work, a work of love!

>

Well done ......................but maybe

an edit to 'get rid' of any superfluous words,

will keep the reader eager.

>

The eye tires and 'gives-up' pretty fast!

>

Also my 'jw eye', cringed on "a Jehovah's Witness",

they like ......one of Jehovah's Witnesses!

>

Example ---------->

Likewise, misleading information is presented when dealing with the Watchtower's offensive doctrine on salvation. The Watchtower is clear that you must be a Jehovah's Witnesses to survive Armageddon, will billions of people being mercilessly destroyed

>

Best wishes always & thank you (& family) again.

clarity

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Misquoting and journalistic dishonesty was the nail in the coffee

• 00DAD
    00DAD

jwfacts does it again!

I only took a quick glance, but it looks great.

Thanks,

00DAD

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Instead of this:

“We are determined to be loyal to Jehovah and to his organization. This organization has never disappointed us and always gives us an abundance of pure waters of truth from God’s Word.” Watchtower 2011 Jul 15 p.12

I'd say this:

“I am determined to be loyal to truth, the real truth. This organization has always disappointed me and always gives us an abundance of polluted lies while claiming to base their propaganda on 'God’s Word'.” 00DADtower 20121 Feb 14 p. 1

There, that's better. Don't you agree?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Suggested revision at the CONCLUSION:

FROM - This article serves to show that the Watchtower cannot be taken as pure truth.

TO - This article serves to show that Watchtower publications cannot be taken as truthful, let alone the "pure truth" they falsely claim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit