"Why Do Many Male Jehovah Witnesses Who Learn TTATT Grow Beards"?

by ÁrbolesdeArabia 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

I grew a goatee after leaving because it's cool!

• d
    d

They want to shed their Jw persona.

• label licker
    label licker

Ummm, just a question guys, some of the mennonite women actually have full beards. I wonder if you saw that in the congregations, what the elders would say to that especially if a man can't have a beard but a woman can. We know what the gossipy slanderous sisters would say about it. Maybe that's why the mennonite men keep their beards so their wives can.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Growing out facial hair is a great way to show that you aren't buying into the "rules" anymore. And, you won't get asked to do anything at the hall - a real positive thing. I've heard that in Europe it's quite common to see brothers with beards.

The anti-beard policy in the society comes from J.F. Rutherford wanting to eliminate the Russell look from those in Bethel and the traveling "pilgrims". Knorr pushed for all publisher to look like businessmen - the Mad Men look. Jesus also became clean shaven in Watchtower illustrations. In the 1960's & '70's the beard came to represent (in WT literature and talks) the promiscuous, stoned, anti-establishment, university educated, free thinking hippie type. When a young man was studing and was "making progress", one of the things that would show his sincere desire to please God was to shave that beard.

Growing a beard is clear indication to JW's that person is "like a dog returning to his vomit." It's your appearance that really counts!

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

I used to shave 9 times a week...

Everyday before breakfast including weekends (7 times)... plus 2 extra afternoon shaves per week for the meetings.

I've cut that by 4 shaves... no 2 extras "meeting" shaves and no shaving on the weekend.

1 shave = approx 3 minutes... so that's 12 extra minutes per week I have to myself...

Time is precious.

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

A beard brings out the hood in your manhood. Makes you macho, not the effeminate types so common with the witnesses.

• sieborg
    sieborg

Ii tried growing a beard when i left, but i looked like a tool so it had to go !

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ARBOLES:

The way I figure it, the reason so many men grow a beard when they leave the JWs is because the religion made such a big deal about something so natural that the men just have to get it out of their system! Not only that, it is a visible badge to other JWs that they are no longer playing by the religion's rules and are their own person now!

As far as what women do who leave the religion: the first thing I did the end of 2000 was contact relatives and old friends and mend fences. This hateful religion tried to separate me from my family and I had to rectify this error before it was too late. Thankfully, I succeeded. I also made sure I sent out Christmas and Holiday cards and have done so every year since.

Secondly, I got rid of the religion's literature a little at a time.

Thirdly, over time, I totally revamped my wardrobe. No more long dowdy-ish dresses. I also grew my hair long like when I was younger.

The whole point was to return myself, for the most part, minus the mistakes, to what I was before my life was derailed by this awful religion!

• Gayle
    Gayle

My dad grew a beard for awhile. My brothers didn't grow beards but wouldn't wear a suit for years.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Just becuase I can, and I look 12 clean shaven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit