"Why Do Many Male Jehovah Witnesses Who Learn TTATT Grow Beards"?

by ÁrbolesdeArabia 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

I find it to be true in a lot of cases. I did grow a beard and still have it. I've been out officially for the last 4 years and decided to grow a beard very fast after getting out. Reason? I always wanted to see how I looked with one, besides I could never understand the logic behind it. Hippies? I think I've only seen a couple of them in my life (I grew up in Honduras in central america. Believe me, no hippies there.)

There is no Bible support for it. Actually the text talking about beard shaving states that it should not be destroyed. Interestingly, the next verse says clearly that tattoos are not allowed. Based on this, I always reasoned that it tattoos are not allowed in the religion based on that text (Lev. 19:28), then beard should be allowed based on the previous verse.

27 “‘YOU? must not cut ?YOUR? sidelocks short around, and you must not destroy the extremity of your beard. 28 “‘And ?YOU? must not make cuts in ?YOUR? flesh for a deceased soul, and ?YOU? must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves. I am Jehovah.

Actually the ban on beards it not an universal thing. I was once visiting a congregation in the southwest of Germany and was completely surprised by the fact that the Watchtower conductor, obviously an elder, had a full, well kept, beard.

vivalavida

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It must be a USA thing to be so strict about facial hair, here in the U.K there is a good smattering of serving elders that wear beards. They would not be used on a Convention for giving a main talk though I bet.

The rule is hidden in the Instructions for those taking parts at Conventions, there is little in the WT publications about it, as in certain parts of the World a beard is common.

The Pharisees of Brooklyn feel they have the right to make up and enforce all sorts of silly rules, but some they are ashamed to openly admit to.

Once you leave the WT for good, why should you not exercise your freedom in any area you choose ? I think perhaps some do grow a beard as a sign that they are doing just that, but I bet they still have it years later, because they like it, and because they can.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

My non-JW girlfriend said I looked good when I didn't shave for days before the next meeting and asked me to let my beard grow. So I did. This was before my awakening but even then I had heard of how you might find brothers wearing beards in some places and had tried to explain to my girlfriend why we couldn't have beards. Needless to say, I couldn't present a scriptural basis or logical reasoning for it.

Of course, some people in my congregation looked scared when they saw me, others patronized me and only a couple of friends said I looked good. Well, I 'awoke', saw the truth about the cult so couldn't give a flying toss anymore whether anyone in the congregation likes it, especially since I haven't been to the meetings since the end of last year.

My girlfriend likes it, she says I look better with the beard, and she reasons, "Didn't Jesus have one?"

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Beards, drugs, prostitutes, heavy drinking, gambling and wife bashing. That's what everyone does when they stop attending meetings. Didn't you know?

• jeremiah18:5-10
    jeremiah18:5-10

My wife asked me to, loved it and it stayed.

• designs
    designs

My beard is my badge of freedom.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    If the Jesus they depict in their mags and books walked into a Kingom Hall he would not be allowed on the platform until he went home and shaved!

And put on what the elders thought was a proper suit & tie. And in some KH's a white shirt.

The main aspect of the JW religion is Organization worship. After that it's the strict rule making, and the life events of trying to live up to those rules.

P.S. I had a beard at the KH for a few months in the 80's. You really are treated different. My work industry position prohibits beards & goatees. When I finally retire, I will grow a goatee.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I haven't grown a beard so much as just stopped shaving.

The only reason I have ever shaved is for meetings and FS. I've never shaved on vacation (we're those terrible witnesses who never go to meetings on vacation)

Now that I'm into serious fade mode, the reasons for me to shave are few and far between, so most of the time I have the "scruffy" look. Then, every few weeks before I hit a meeting I'll shave.

Probably the main reason I don't just stop shaving, i.e. grow a beard, is that my wife isn't crazy about how it feels. She likes the look, not the feel, and I can't say I blame her.

Funny story though: few weeks ago I ran into an old acquaintance ("worldly" guy - in fact he's GAY) and at the time I pretty much had a full beard. The first question he asked was "Did you leave your church?"

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I had a semi beard when I was studying. A weeks worth of growth trimmed up. Once I left I grew a goatee. Not to be rebelious but honestly, in Los Angeles most men have facial hair. I stuck out not having it

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Why do ex-dubs grow beards? Because they can.

Cold Steel: " Do you guys really have to shave in that religion? What is there in the Bible that forbids it? "

The WT has a long laundry list of "recommendations" about how dubs should look. Think 1950s. Women are not allowed to wear pants for any reason, men must be clean-shaven and wear conservative suits and ties.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. None of it is in the Bible.

The WT demands dress codes because they want dubs to appear "wholesome," which supposedly will help them sell more books.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit