"Why Do Many Male Jehovah Witnesses Who Learn TTATT Grow Beards"?

by ÁrbolesdeArabia 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Fascinating topic. What would happen if someone had a well shaved beard and wanted to be baptized? Would he be counseled to shave before his baptism or would the leaders wait until he was securely ensconced in the Kingdom Hall before he was counseled to shave?

How would such counseling take place? Let's say I'm newly converted and after about six months I decided to grow a beard? Since there's nothing in the scriptures forbidding a beard, could you be disciplined? I'd think you'd be well within your rights to grow one if you wanted. I remember the beardless Jesus in the early 70s. He was lantern jawed and had a big lock of hair on top, but his hair was cut short in the back and on the sides. In recent times I've seen him with white hair, beard and wings! What's with that?

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I have a beard for two reasons. First, I'm a lazy bastard with poor hygene. Second, my wife hates the clean shaven face. So its all good.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`ve always had a thing with beards , in the mid 60`s I grew a moustache & goatee ,which was tolerated for a while and then the P.O. at the time strongly suggested I get rid of it , which I did , then during the mid seventies in a new state , new congregation I grew a full beard , neatly trimmed .One elder suggested it was something like self love , labouriosly standing in front of a mirror trimming your beard .I said for one thing it doesn`t take anytime at all to run over it with an electric trimmer , and I only need to do it about every 6 weeks , you need to stare at yourself in the mirror everyday for a clean shave .But the heavies came down on me anyway if I wanted to keep my "priveledges" I needed to shave it off.Which I did .Since leaving in `93 I`ve had a well trimmed beard because that`s who I am . Oh , I did have another go in the 80`s and during a break at a circuit Assembly I overheard a small kid talking to his mate about my beard .Quote : " He must be a new interest person " at that time I had been a witness a good 20+ years .LOL

smiddy

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

I always hated shaving and just did it for religious reasons. Now I have the freedom to grow my full beard, the goatee or shave my face when I please, and it makes me feel very, very well.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Yeah, but what were the consequences of keeping the beards? Can they take any administrative action against you?

And what do you mean by "priviledges"?

If one had a beard, could one baptize?

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Men grow beards for various reasons, wild, lazy, sexy or rebellious and some medical reasons (folliculosis).

What do ladies do to rebel once they leave the Organization? The elders would get pissed when sisters cut their hair short. We had a sister shave her head like irish singer "Oconner" and they blew their gaskets! Blad heads and short skirts drove the old elders crazy!

• Maat13
    Maat13

Marked!

sporting a full beard now!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

The ladies throw out the pantyhose and stop buying ugly dresses and skirts...they start buying sexy ones instead!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I grew a beard before I worked out TTATT.

I always thought it was a stoopid principle rule.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I bet most men on JWN have facial hair as a mark of rebellion. I counted 24 on this thread so far and I make 25 (though I am not an exJW I do maintain my beard in the face of an active campaign by my Witness wife to get me to shave it off - so it still counts as an act of rebellion against the WBTS). Come on all you hirsute apostates - stand up and be counted!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit