What are you reading?

by Berengaria 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Recently I've enjoyed some thriller/crime fiction. Child 44 and Gone Girl have been great.

Loz x

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Just opened up George Orwell 1984 (got a new one for a re-read)

Cannibal Island, Death in a Siberian Gulag by Nicolas Werth. This is a true story about thousands of people who were deported to Siberia in the 1930's but abandoned in a remote, desolate area without any food or shelter and left to fight for survival.

Orderly and Humane; Expulsion of the Germans after WW2 -

sammieswife

• soontobe
    soontobe

Donnerjack, Roger Zelazny.

Makers:The New Industrial Revolution, Chris Anderson.

Biotechnology Valuation, Karl Keegan.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I love good historical fiction. Last year I read The Whiskey Rebels. Hilary Mantel's series on Henry VIII and Cromwell is wonderful.

I have too many books going now. Milton's Paradise Lost, and Hitler's Mein Kampf are partially read.

I've read Pagels book on Revelation, Karen Armstrong's book on Genesis, Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Jerk, and Penton's Apocalypse Delayed.

I purchased the New Yorker's recent Dog book. It is a collection of cartoons and essays concerning the human-dog experience.

A few months ago I read Pete Townshend memoir.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The first 4 books of George R.R.Martin's Game of Thrones are fabulous! "Looking for that elusive book that grabs you from start to finish only to leave you begging for more? A Game of Thrones is the kind of rich literature that any fan of character driven fiction should read. Martin's writing is very tight, and fluid. The setting sets itself apart from other fantasy settings by being quite realistic. You have Kingdoms, and Lordships; cutthroats and brigands. Characters that you love to hate and characters that you'd love to meet. Plots, intrigue, deception, and betrayal that all combine to create one of the most compelling novels I have ever read. Do yourself a favor and pick this book up. It will most likely jump-start your love of books. Enjoy."

The Drowned Cities by paolo bacigalupi

"In a dark future America where violence, terror, and grief touch everyone, young refugees Mahlia and Mouse have managed to leave behind the war-torn lands of the Drowned Cities by escaping into the jungle outskirts. But when they discover a wounded half-man--a bioengineered war beast named Tool--who is being hunted by a vengeful band of soldiers, their fragile existence quickly collapses. One is taken prisoner by merciless soldier boys, and the other is faced with an impossible decision: Risk everything to save a friend, or flee to a place where freedom might finally be possible."
  • Berengaria
    Berengaria

I am laboring through "A Confederacy of Dunces". Such overwhelming great revues. Friends who have recommended for years.....................

Not doing it for me. But I WILL finish.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Alternate history fiction by Harry Turtledove.

I'm about to re-read "Blood Meridian".

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Cool!! At least you're not listing that dry textbook crap!

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

No kidding! My brain went in to shutdown mode with all that shit.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I learned alot though!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit