What are you reading?

by Berengaria 77 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

"How to Write the Breakout Novel" by Donald Maass and a couple of novels about serial killers; all writing research. Tonights online research is determing the colors used on Japanese Battleships in world war II, the result will end up on the 1/700 model sitting in pieces on my desk.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Second Shift - Order (#7 Wool series)

Insurgent

Quiet - the Power of Introverts

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Well, I have been 'reading' Hitchens "god is not Great...how religion poisons everything", but haven't been making much headway in that book. I'm also reading Dawkins "The Magic of Reality...How do we really know what is True" , "The Ultimate Quotable Einstein" and "The Timetables of History". And waiting in the wings is Dawkins "The God Delusion"

• d
    d

Beyond good and evil By Nietzsche, The mysterious stranger by Mark twain and Atlas shrugged by Ayn rand. Uncle tom's Cabin by Harriet beecher stowe. I also have The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

by Dave Eggers.

• Emery
    Emery

Rules for Radicals

Web development books that nobody cares about haha.

• James Brown
    James Brown

When I was a Jail Guard/ Detention Officer on the midnight shift I was able to read 5 to 6 hours a night.

Now that I have retired and don't get paid to read I have a hard time cracking a book on my dime.

But my recent purchases sitting here are "The Source" by James Michner, "The Best of Lester Del Rey",

"The Autobiography of Benjamin Frankin", "Peoples History of the United States" by Howard Zinn,

"100 Great Science Fiction Short Stories" edited by Isaac Asimov.

All these great books sitting here makes me want to go back to work midnights so I can get

paid to read them.

• Mum
    Mum

"The Stenomaster Theory" by Mark Kislingbury, because I am learning court stenography / court reporting.

"The Art of Learning"

Regards,

SandraC

• sieborg
    sieborg

The Dark Tower novels by Stephen King

• flipper
    flipper

My wife and I just got done reading last week a really cool book we borrowed from my son titled " The Ohlone Way " by Malcom Margolin dealing with the life of Native Indian tribes of the San Fransisco bay area back in the 1700's and before explaining what life was like for them before the Spanish and Catholic " fathers " came into California trying to convert indigenous tribes to the church. A really interesting read to show how for centuries native American life went on unchanged until the invasion of Europeans even in California. It changed everything and in the last 200 years it demolished their culture and way of life. Pretty sad.

Before that my wife and I read a cool book titled " The Hoopa Project " by David Paulides a former policeman and police investigator detailing his interviews with Hoopa Native Americans and their Bigfoot experiences in the Northwest California area encompassing the Eureka area west to Willow Creek and the Siskyou and Trinity National forest areas . All of them signed affidavits to verify legally they were telling the truth and Paulides had an expert FBI forensic artist interview and sketch pictures of what they saw as described by them. The sketches are astounding. These creatures look more like huge hairy humans than any apes. And recent research is indicating the DNA is more human as well. A truly fascinating read. Highly recommend it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit