What are you reading?

by Berengaria 77 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Just finished Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence. Now reading Midnight by Dean Koontz. Next will be A Painted House by John Grisham

Coffee

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I tend not to read fiction but I still enjoy a good book.

I am almost halfway through "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre where he dismantles the dodgy science (bullsh*t) behind some of the great drug trials, court cases and missed opportunities of our time.

He slates "self apponted nutritionists" like Gillian McKeith exposing her sham "qualifications" and discusses amongst other things homeopathy trials and the placebo effect.

Totally fascinating book which will help you discover how to question every new "miracle break through in medicine"!

• TD
    TD

A Billion Wicked Thoughts: What the World's Largest Experiment Reveals about Human Desire

• Deceived
    Deceived

I got the book on my Kindle last week called Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill.

I did not know that being a Scientologist was so crazy and controlling or about their beliefs. This religion if you are in the elite part makes the JW religion look like pussycats.

This girl was born in and sent to a ranch at about 5 years old without her parents to be programmed and groomed for their church. She was made to work like a slave everyday. This religion does not believe in children going to school for formal education, just brainwashing of their own literature and agenda. They do not allow medication and frown on doctors and psychiatry. If you are on the fringes you are a public Scientologist, if you are in the "church" you are a thetan, if you aren't in the church or a scientologist, you are a Wog. They constantly "audit" everyone with a Emeter. They believe the Thetan members have an immortal soul and they are made to sign a billion year contract to be a member of the church.

You cannot think for yourself or protest or argue or you will be thrown out and shunned.

Its a very shocking and enlightening true story.

• mouthy
    mouthy

"The Decline & Fall Of the House Of Windsor" By Donald Spoto/

Was surprised to read that George the V was euthanaside....At Queen Mary's request.he was dying anyway
    I am beginning to realize that Royalty can make thier own rules. Not Fair. I believe we should be able to have
    that done if we request it.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

We wouldn't let you mouthy! We still need you. Stick around as long as you can!

I've been listening to Brain Rules- by Steven Pinker.

I also just started reading The World Until Yesterday by Jared Diamond. It's supposed to be a follow-up to Guns, Germs, and Steel.

• Mum
    Mum

Flipper and others interested in Native American history:

One of the best books I ever read was for a college course entitled "Introduction to the Study of Religion." The book's title is Black Elk Speaks. The book was narrated to John Neihardt and his daughter. The daughter took the narrative down in shorthand and transcribed it. It is told in Black Elk's own words and the words of some of his friends. Black Elk was a Lakota Sioux on the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota. He participated in the Battle of Little Big Horn. As a child, he went into a high fever, and, when he woke up, he was somehow endowed with mental and spiritual powers beyond what most humans have. For example, he and his father went on a hunting trip when he was a teenager. While sleeping, he heard a fox (or dreamed of it?) telling him where he could find a lot of buffalo. He told his father, who was skeptical, but still went along with him. They killed enough buffalo to feed the whole tribe for the whole winter. He had visions showing him that the white people would leave, but he admitted at the end of his life that he was disappointed that these visions did not come to fruition. There are other books about Black Elk as well. I came to wish I had known him personally and to have a great admiration for him. He was uneducated and illiterate, but still wise and fascinating.

Regards,

SandraC

• cofty
    cofty

The Better Angels of our Nature - Steven Pinker

Life Ascending - Nick Lane

The Client - John Grisham

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus, Joel Chandler Harris.

Thomas Becket, John Guy.

• sd-7
    sd-7

'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card

'The Silmarillion' by J.R.R. Tolkien

'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand

...I'm sure something 'Star Wars' will get in there along the way. Torn between 'Riptide', 'The Old Republic: Deceived', 'Shadow Games'. and '501st'....

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit