If you wanted to go to College/University, how do you think you would fair, after paying off your Student Loans?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Cliff.... Awesome advice.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

A rule of thumb is to not acquire more student debt than what you can expect to earn in your first year of employment. Since I started at community college and am pursuing a BS in engineering, I will be well within that range of less debt than first year's earnings.

Additionally, I expect to get hired locally and will follow the advice to live my first year after university as though I were still on a limited "student budget". No new car, new house, or other such debts until the student loans get paid down significantly.

On the other hand, I've heard that some don't rush to pay down their student loans when they have crazy low interest rates on the debt. But as crazy low interst rates as banks are paying on deposits, I think I'll keep paying off my debt as priority.

Judging by the starting salaries, my earning potential will be far better as an engineer than as a Circuit Overseer .

As far as my future in the real world, either I'll be 20 years older with a degree or 20 years older without a degree. I'll be far better off with the degree. I don't see myself as the type that will want to retire ASAP. I'd rather find a career that will keep me interested and mentally occupied until the day I die.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Billie>>>>>I don't know you personally, but I am so proud for you that you woke yourself up, and started all over again.

Many moons ago, I thought I wanted to be a CO's wife. But back then, The Society was pushing that they had Jehovah's Holy Spirit, and it was telling them Armageddon is coming in 1975. That was 38 years ago. If I had a husband who was the CO and we just woke up to TTATT, boy, would we be upset.

Just Lois

Snare&Racket>>>>>Kudos to you too for waking up, Mr. Mature Student, and starting all over again. That is quite an accomplishment!

We look forward to you finishing your 7th year so we can have a JW.net internet party on here for you.

Just Lois

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

You and Obama graduated from the school? What school? You went to school with Obama? You know him? I had no idea whatsoever that real people perform these jobs. Thank you. You are such a fountain of information and knowledge.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I am going to college now. I got my GED in 2010 at the age of 35 ( passed on the first try) and now I am an Honors student as well as a member of Phi Theta Kappa the Honors Society for 2 year schools. I intend to transfer after I graduate from my community college to a University. The cost is not even a factor right now, for me. I am learning so much about myself and my abilities, that I would pay for the rest of my life just to be educated. I feel that no matter what the costs are in the end, it is worth it to me, because I know I am not stupid or dumb and that I can do this. JW's be damned, for trying to keep me down and scaring me into not educating myself before.

• outnabout
    outnabout

Yes, some things are priceless. The OP might have been like that Mastercard commercial in the format of such and such: $xx.xx - Knowing TTATT - priceless. Well, actually I guess that may just be disappointing, but other things you learn as a result of opening your mind may indeed be priceless.

So while I do not disagree, I have to mention that I can't help but think of how similar it is to count hours as it is to count dollars via the time is money rule, but not everything is a matter of quantification. Imagine in an alternate universe where you do make good money by being a JW, (yes I know you have to really stretch the imagination) verses being poor knowing TTATT - would you do it?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I want my daughter to go to Uni, but not so much for the education in any particular field but for its education in life, the diversity of people and opinions. To be challenged to think, to question and to not accept that she just has to be a mummy and pop out babies (unless that is what she really wants)

I want her to see a wider world of oportunity outside small country town life which may be great during school years but does little to stimulate the mind after that.

Along the way i think (hope) she will find what she really wants to be involved in, and hopefully make a good living for her self.

Maybe she will become a doctor or a vet, a lawyer or a peace protester, i dont know, I dont care...so long as she has been exposed to oportunity and chooses.

Oz

Noni1974>>>>>That is super Girl!

And a phi theta kappa Honors Society member too! I am so thrilled and happy for you!

Keep us posted!

Just Lois Just Thrilled

OutandAbout >>>>>It is 2 AM in The North Pacific, and my brain wants to sleep. I'll comment later today.

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit