If you wanted to go to College/University, how do you think you would fair, after paying off your Student Loans?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

What we need now is a "Has the FBI ever tried to recruit you?" thread.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hoser>>>>>Your Friend is a self-made man. He really sounds like a wonderful person. If reading is not your forte, brilliant that he is smart enough to figure out to hire an Office Manager to handle all the paperwork.

I wonder if he felt like he had to work twice as hard as everyone else to make a way for himself and Family, and then his happy reward is to be incredibly successful with it.

I feel for him, when you said he has a learning disability. It is difficult to read when you are Dyslexic. I'm not dyslexic. My mom used to beat up on me. I couldn't hear clearly. I couldn't speak clearly. As a little kid, trying to read, my mom, instead of helping, made learning difficult. lol When I was 10 my Teacher suggested I get a Library card over summer and start at the little kid section, with pictures and one word pages. It worked for me, thank goodness. There is no way Jose, I could grow up and drive a transport truck! lol

I am so glad, your Friend figured what he wanted to do, could do it well and went for it.

I was focusing on the College/University thread, because The Society is so against it. I am aware it is not for everyone.

I appreciated what Band said above, about some people she knew who got their GED's. and were very articulate.

Just Lois

• hoser
    hoser

I was focusing on the College/University thread, because The Society is so against it. I am aware it is not for everyone

I am aware of that Lois, but if my friend was a JW he wouldn't be where he is today either. He would be labelled "materialistic" for allowing his overtime work to interfere with his "spirituality".

There is no way Jose, I could grow up and drive a transport truck! lol

My friend doesn't drive anymore. He works dispatch and has over 40 drivers working for him. He owns a mechanic shop which works on his trucks plus does other work as well. I think in total he has about 60 employees.

I'm just saying that university isn't always the path for everyone. One thing that people don't realize is the value of time. My friend started working at age 16, so by the time he hit 30 he already owned several trucks and had a growing business and a house. Many who got the degree have barely/if paid their student loans off. They are 10 years behind in monetary terms.

You are correct Lois. The watchtower is like an abusive person. It is all about them. They don't give a rat's ass about the average jw's current or future needs.

• cliff
    cliff

A tip I passed on to my own children with great success:

"Find something you are really passionate about and love doing - then find someone to pay you to do it!"

Easy to say, I agree ...

Hoser >>>>>Thank you for your valid point.

You mentioned your Friend started working at age 16 so that by the age of 30 he owned several trucks, a growing business and a house but he saw the light early and didn't waste his time as a JW. (Thank goodness he stayed busy so that neither he or his wife got sucked in at the door by some nice meaning, but mind controlled pub/ pio , trying to save him). lol

You are right, that many at the age of 30, are still paying off Student Loans.

In my opening thread, I mentioned years spent in useless field service = alternative: how much money they could have made...so as to have a more fulfilling, useful life.

A human being has wants, desires, hopes and dreams. What I am trying to say is...If you are a pioneer/publisher and you have wants, desires, hopes and dreams, look at what you give away/throw away every month...every year. How are you going to have fulfillment of your wants, desires etc. if you keep wasting your life for a publishing business.

Jesus started his career move "pioneering" at the age of 30 and he was unmarried, didn't want a wife, or children or a home or have need of Medical Insurance, or more than one pair of shoes or one set of clothes, didn't need to pay to keep his hair neatly trimmed or worry about having a 4 door car for meetings or field service and hotel expenses going to the CA or DA and don't forget to tip. So it is highly unrealistic that in this modern age we live in, that this, do as I say, not as I do, publishing firm, tells us what to do with our lives.

It is 2013. We need to surround ourselves with people who empower us. Who treat each of us as unique individuals with something to offer. Not stay with "Cruel Overseers" who tell us what to do what to think.

Education or no education. Just think. What do I want out of life and how am I going to make it happen.

If you want the title pioneer as your status symbol in little thinkers Kingdom Halls, what kind of job, education, training do you need, so that in 50 years you can look back on your life with happiness and satisfaction. Were you able to enjoy some of your hopes, dreams, wants, desires?

All I am saying is: Don't let The Society take away your choices in life.

Just Lois

Cliff>>>>>Yes lol I agree with you. I have to confess at times I loved service and pioneering. I really thought I was helping people. But now I love TTATT and am embarrassed how I spent my life.

Last summer, The Judge told me to apply for my old age pension. I thought how can this be so? I haven't even started to live yet?

My Life was wasted for nothing.

Your advise to your children is priceless:

Find something you are really passionate about and love doing, then find someone to pay you to do it.

I agree 100% with what you are saying...verses = No one pays cash money for wasted years as a pub/ pio . Some things need to be re-evaluated.

Just Lois

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Malvinas,

Both the CIA and the FBI spend a lot of money recruiting at campuses every year. I met an agent during work on a case. The FBI has traditionally recruited lawyers and accountants. Someone is president of the United States, cabinet officials, Supreme Court justices. Obama and I graduated from the school. Besides, I was particularly attractive to them b/c J. Edgar Hoover was newly dead and the administration knew it had to change the culture. My school was better than average and I was progressive who could be a good face that the FBI was committed to change.

Wjy not me? Why not you?

Excuse me for hard work and discipline. I also learned the savvy to compete for key positions on the fly. Real people perform these jobs.

Why not you? Why not anyone on this site?

I never could b/c of what I heard the FBI did to family members and close friends during WWII. Also, I asked if I would have to get my clothes rumpled. The answer was yes. I grew up with the Witness view of the FBI has evil and the general American view of the time that Hoover was a hero.

Since Sept. 11th, people are flocking to the FBI and the CIA to help. The culture has changed to a dramatic degree. Goodness, do you know h ow many thousands of employees the Department of Justice employs? I went to school with assistant directors of the FBI.

Band>>>>>That is really, so way cool.

I only know one person who I think works for not the FBI but the CIA.

He was a Cheerleader at my High School. Very outgoing, personable, talkative, intelligent. After University he got a job overseas. He is fluent in some politically not main stream, but odd languages. My high school has a web site, so alumni all over the world can stay in touch. Whenever he sends a picture of himself, he's in the shadows etc., never fully exposed. Sort of #007ish to me. Anyway, if Jim is not working for the CIA undercover, if he ever reads this, extremely unlikely, I hope it will give him a laugh.

Just Lois

Band>>>>>Have you been back to any of your University reunions?

Just Lois

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Its an investment... If you choose your course wisely and work hard you can't go wrong.

I am one year away from completing 7 years of education with no financial support but that of student loans. I will pay it back dependant on my wage and over many decades.

The fear and anti-education crap that is spouted by WT comes from people that self admittedly have never attended higher ed and don't support it. If it was such a financial con, it would't be so hard to get a seat! Think of a topic you would like to study, think of the university you would like to attend, google the application numbers oer seat. I competed with over 200 people for my seat (mature seat ) Higher education is a golden ticket to your new future! Its worth every penny and more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit