If you wanted to go to College/University, how do you think you would fair, after paying off your Student Loans?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Band>>>>>Thank you for your insight.

If you could have gone for a double major, what would your second have been?

Just Lois

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Lois,

I attended poor public schools so I am not able to do math or science. Political science and sociology were about the only majors that did not cause an academic problem. Given 9/11, I would study to be a CIA analyst. This is so ironic b/c the CIA was kicked off campus while I was in school. One could not even hint that you were doing any federal job........Later, the FBI tried to recruit me.

I would study int'l economics and finance--the poli sci is easy to learn. An analyst job, journalism, or finance would all be attractive.

I cherish the time though when I could study fine art and poetry. It has priceless value.

What I notice in real life: when I meet people and have no outside knowledge of their education, I find the most articulate and profound people have GEDs. I meet college grads with advanced degrees that sound so stupid I feel society should sue the school that gave them a degree. It has happened countless times. I will assume someone has a PhD or something and find they missed college due to personal circumstances.

I've met so many people, esp. in bureaucracies, with advanced degrees that shock me. My high school grads fared better. Sometimes my jaw drops open. I am convinved that not all colleges should give degrees.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Lois,

I attended poor public schools so I am not able to do math or science. Political science and sociology were about the only majors that did not cause an academic problem. Given 9/11, I would study to be a CIA analyst. This is so ironic b/c the CIA was kicked off campus while I was in school. One could not even hint that you were doing any federal job........Later, the FBI tried to recruit me.

I would study int'l economics and finance--the poli sci is easy to learn. An analyst job, journalism, or finance would all be attractive.

I cherish the time though when I could study fine art and poetry. It has priceless value.

What I notice in real life: when I meet people and have no outside knowledge of their education, I find the most articulate and profound people have GEDs. I meet college grads with advanced degrees that sound so stupid I feel society should sue the school that gave them a degree. It has happened countless times. I will assume someone has a PhD or something and find they missed college due to personal circumstances.

I've met so many people, esp. in bureaucracies, with advanced degrees that shock me. My high school grads fared better. Sometimes my jaw drops open. I am convinved that not all colleges should give degrees.

• hoser
    hoser

What if you can't go to university. The man I mentioned in my previous post can barely read due to a learning disability(dyslexia). He was called stupid in school. He is a smart man. He just is unable to read. He owns a fleet of transport trucks and has an office manager do all the paperwork for him. I know more than one person like this.

hoser

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

I fared just fine. Got a job in my field, paid off my loans, enjoyed the fruits of my labor, paid for my son's education so he wouldn't have student loans, and now I'm enjoying my retirement.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Education opens opportunities that you cannot even imagine. While I understand the cost issue, cost should not be the determining factor in deciding whether or not to get an education.

Please, get an education. Even as an adult there are many options. Consider the options and make an informed decision. But - Get an Education!!

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Depends what country and State you are in and whether you go to a community college for the first 2 years. Right now there are a lot of Scam "Universities" who offer to help you get student loans. They helpyou becuase they charge twice to three times what a public college or univeristy charges they take the money and you are left with massive debt. Go to a City College, State College, Community College to get up your requirements and grade point average to enter a university. Apply for Grants ( Grants do not have to be re-paid ) Get on Work-Study, which is on campus and flexible around your classes. Community Colleges offer TRANSFERABLE courses. Transferrable is the KEY. Always inquire whether the course units are transferrable, or in other words does a bonifide univerity accept their credits ? Phoenix University as an example, will cost you big fees, and NONE of its courses are accepted by any legitimate university in the USA.!!! California Community Colleges offer the best courses and transferable courses. If you want to be an Attorney, Engineer, Medical Doctor, Registered Nurse, Certified Teacher, Scientist of any kind, Biologist, Marine Biologist, Museum Curator etc etc then University is the only way to do that. If you want to be a technician, you might do that in two years at a community college. The more education you have, the more you earn. Each degree doubles your income. College professors make from $100,000 a year to $380,000 a year ( teaching in a medical school for instance ) Community College instructors make $75 an hour. Education allows you to do meaningful work in areas of your own interests. Its worth the financial costs for a lifetime of financial security and the ability to do useful work that contibutes to your own security and the welfare of others.

Band>>>>>The FBI wanted to recruit you. How cool is that?

Interesting statement of what a determined person can make of themselves with a GED. I like that.

I want better things for my younger Brothers and Sisters in The Truth(tm). I want them to fly!

After 9/11 wanting to be a CIA Analyst. What an amazing mind you must have.

Do you like playing Chess, or did you not pursue it, because the Society warned us against it?

Just Lois

VillageGirl , Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!

Lots of useful information. Thank you for sharing info about College classes and discussing the grant aspect of it and also about going to a College where you can take classes (at a smaller price) and transfer your Course credits forward to a University, if that is your desire.

Nice to know about Phoenix University.

Thank you for your first post. I am honored. : )

If you would like, start a new thread, and tell us about some of your journey so far.

We are a friendly Group. There are a couple of Monkeys on board, but last night, I noticed someone sent a pile of bananas for Shamus100 on one of the threads, so that should keep him occupied for quite a while. Outlaw heard there was a storm coming, so he might be gone for a while, if he has to snowshoe into town and back with beer and KFC. lol

Just Lois

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Welcome, Villagegirl!

I was shocked by the article Ravens posted above, where the wt groups higher eduacation with underage smoking and indiscriminatel publishing personal information on the Net. The two ladies I was "studying" with assured me it just meant that people should make a considered decision; didn't read like that to me!

Hope to see more posts from you,

Retro

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit