Hubby and Wifey saying Hi

by free and happy 75 Replies latest jw friends

• free and happy
    free and happy

So where do you start?
    I've been reading peoples experiences for several months now trying to figure out what I want to say but how do you put your whole life into a few words?

I was a born in but have been happy and free for 5 years and luckily for me my husband felt the same way and we have freed our children from being brainwashed
    with the lies we so regularly believed without questioning, well it was that way for me although my husband had a lot more to put up with, I just bumbled along like most witnesses.

So how did my eyes get opened?

I think as I got older in the Jws, I started to see people for what they were, the things people got away with because there dad was an elder or as my husband was an MS, the things he heard and were covered up in meetings and I used to ask Why is Jehovah allowing this to happen? Why are these men in the position to offer advise when they hide who they are behind there position in the congregation and use it to bring brothers down, people who they are meant to love and die for?

This is basically what happened to our family, when I think back now , we were used as a family in one elders agenda since before we got married, my husband is a very moral, upstanding man and this elder used information he had to undermine family relations so he could gain an allly in the meetings and instead of encourging us to sort problems out, used this to drive a wedge which ultimately cost us my husbands family for many years.
    But this backfired on him as he didnt thinks my husband would show concern when his own children went off the rails and he covered up all there exploits.
    Thus started 4 years of a campaign to undermine and insinuate things about our family which made me in the end emotionally breakdown everytime we went to the meetings.
    It started by ignoring us if we went to speak to him, walking in a different direction if he saw us coming, sitting on the opposite side of the hall or if we sat on the same row, making it clear to others that he didnt speak to us by getting up and moving seats, him and his family.
    Then he wouldnt take our hands if he was taking a study including the children and if my husband was taking an item, he would get up and walk outside and then come back in when he had finished, one particularly time others not only me noticed during a public talk my husband was getting he did his watchtower study and read the songbook instead of listening. When tackled he told elders he didnt have a problem and it was us that was causing trouble.
    Nothing we tried made it better and we endured this treatment for years until it came to a head for me a few years later.
    My husband suffered a road rage incident, not his fault, but due to its nature, had to go and make a statement to the police. He told our book study conductor what had happened as he had to miss a couple of meeting to go to the police station, the other person was charged , end of story. Due to our daughter being quite ill and in hospital at the same time, we missed quite a few meetings in a row, but when we returned some JWS stopped speaking to us or kept my husband at arms length. Then we arrived at one meeting for my husband to be ordered into the second school again, and again be grilled by several elders as to why he hadnt told them he had been charged with assault over a road rage incident!
    When they heard it wasnt true, all the families were asked were they got the information and it came back to this elder and his family! When questioned he denied it, even blaming his mother in law but he was the source, he had heard on the JW grapevine of an incident and lead people to believe it was true and still they did nothing about him.
    Ive had elders, even a circuit overseer come and tell me they were going to get to the bottom of his behaviour but they washed there hands of it as though he had some hold over them but the thing that got to me the most was after I couldn`t cope with the situation any longer as it had caused so much mental anquish, there solution was to tell us to move congregations! I was stunned, and it started me thinking this isnt how true christians behave, let an elder behave in such a way, it was out of sight out of mind, you leave, problem solved.
    That was a big eye opener and it started me questioning lots of things that I wasnt sure I believed was right.
    Earlier I mentioned our daughter was quite ill and in hospital, she had a brain conditon called syringomyelia and scoliosis of the spine that required surgery including a blood transfusion which was non negotiable with the surgeon.
    We looked for advise from the elders and received basically personal advice. Nothing from the bible, just what they thought. One said just have it no one will know and just come back to the meeting, another said we were bad parents if we gave her a transfusion and it would cost my husband being an ms, while a third said just pray to jehovah and beg forgiveness if we decided to put her well being above our beliefs!
    No support or understanding, no one even came to see her in hospital as it was announced without our knowledge that we didnt want visitors due to the nature of her operation! Just when we needed the support and with the other situation going on as well, we received no help at all from our loving brotherhood! Later it was told to us by an elder it was so no one could be stumbled by our actions and we could just come back in no questions asked but by then my eyes were truly opened. Without that transfusion, my daughter would not be here today and from then I decided there was no way I would put a religion and their man made rules before my family, God would not expect me to do that!
    Friends said they understood and would still be friends with us even if we were`nt witnesses but they soon disappeared, one even telling my husband in an email that by leaving he was the spawn of Satan!
    Sorry if our posts sound similar we thought we would introduce ourselves together, hope you dont mind. Heres hubby--

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

I hope there's enough room for two more! Thankyou to each and every one of you thats taken the time to post experiences or research here for those that are groping in the dark. As my good lady above has hinted, our experiences in the jw cult are many and varied. I myself was 3 years old when my bible studying divorcee mum decided to marry a pioneer. And so my step father came into mine and my older brothers life. For the most part, we had a great upbringing, loads of activities to get involved in like pre convention at Murrayfield, Edinburgh. Yes, me and my bro were amongst those to paint the red and white stripes on the donut booths! Kingdom hall refurbs and quick builds were another thing we got involved with. Even though we were active in the jw lifestyle, I didnt really feel the need to be a pioneer, or a servant, or in any way push myself to be noticed by elders. I was a cruiser. Whatever happened I dealt with in my own time and way. Even when I met my wife at 16 I wasnt baptized. In fact I was told that if I was serious about courting at a later date, I should get dunked. So I got baptized. At 18, we got married. And no, we dont regret getting married so young one bit. During this time that should have been happy, we both seemed to be held up to the congregation as examples. I was made a servant just before I turned 19, wifey was already a pioneer. And yes, the 2 talks on masturbation were given by me! Didnt bother me one bit. However, I was amazed to see how many "youths" managed to miss that meeting! Ongoing problems with a particular family in the cong however started to bring out the uglies in people. My parents against them, and we were caught in the middle. Lies and stories were made up. The end result was that me and my wife hardly spoke to my family for nearly 20 years. I feel sick just to write this. But there we are. Because of the politics and greed and desire to be the best in the congregation, this other family did their level best to keep us away from my family. This was their way of showing to others that they must be right about my parents if his son and d in law dont want to talk to them.

Of course this was totally my fault. You could say I was manipulated and lied to, used to further someone else's agenda. But the fact remains that I was a cruiser. Happy to follow the leaders. Any advice I was given I took. I didnt think for myself at all. I was a robot. I honestly think that this type of personality is the hardest to wake up from a cult. I never questioned that ignoring my family was hurtful, or unnatural, I did it because it was the jw way.
    5 years ago. As my wifey has already mentioned, our daughter #1 had to go into hospital for major surgery. We were in a panic. On one hand we had a surgeon saying that bloodless surgery would likely cause death, and elders giving conflicting advice on the other. "Its your choice." "If you go through with a transfusion you will lose all priviliges" . "Just do it and dont tell anyone"....this from a hlc member! So for the first time in my life, I studied. You have to realise that even up to this point my study habits were limited to talks. But looking at a subject that involves your firstborns life tends to focus a person. I read in the bible how the Jews were to pour out the blood of an animal on the ground when it was dead. My daughter wasnt dead. The blood doners hadnt died as far as I was aware. And it was only animal blood it applied to anyway. My daughter is human. Not to mention that Jesus sacrifice should have done away with all that. Why the hell was I still going along with this crap?
    For the first time in my life, I felt like we were hostages. Being watched in case we made a run for the exit. I'd told the elders I had done my own research and had made a decision that was right and just and reflected the love that Jesus taught we should show to one another. If it was in my hand to do good, and sign a piece of paper that helped my daughter, then they had no right to interfere in that decision. Either by lecturing to us or by disciplining us. After this, we were left alone. And I mean alone. Only one Jw came to visit my daughter in the 3 weeks she was in. Guess who? Yes the hlc elder, probably to confirm if she had the transfusion. We found out later that the elders decided to announce "no visitors" due to the complicated surgery. In fact it was to keep the sheep shielded from the fact she had blood.
    During this time, the other family decided to launch another attack, as Wifey mentions above. Kicked while down. While daughter #1 recovered at home, I ended up in jc's, with elders and co's, trying to battle for our spiritual lives. This lasted about a month in total. All the while the anger was building. I would stand at the back of the hall with dark thoughts racing through my mind. My wifes hair started falling out with the stress.
    Then the final meeting with the elders. We sat in my back garden on a warm summers day. I asked what was being done about the family from hell. They told us the best thing to do was to go to a different hall. To leave friends and my wifes family and relocate. Start again. Run away. The old me would have probably thought it was a good idea. To go along with whatever I was told. To cruise along and have my thinking done for me. Not this time. I thanked them for the visit, and watched them to their cars. Even gave a little cheery wave as they drove away.
    The next day was our Sunday meeting, and I was due to open up. At 6am, I got our family study books together, everything I could find with the names inked in, and filled my handmade leather briefcase with them. Jammed full and dam heavy. I put in all the public talk crap I had as i was the public talk servant. I drove to the hall, opened up and placed the briefcase on the platform. With a report slip and a pin from the notice board I pinned a little note on my briefcase. "we wont be needing these anymore".
    Now my brain hurts! Sorry if we've both rambled on a bit, but we both love a good natter! We hope to post more odds and sods in the future!

GoneAwol.........for good

• Ding
    Ding

A warm welcome to both of you!

• Emma
    Emma

What you were put through! Congratulations for getting out and looking out for your family. (Please share with your wife.)

And welcome to the forum!

Emma

• besunny
    besunny

Welcome both of you,,you are among friends here,this site has helped me so much as it will help you too! you are not alone in how your family has been treated by so called friends,what I like best of being freed from this cult is just being a normal person...

• jgnat
    jgnat

The briefcase stuffed with literature, left on the platform. Priceless! I would love to have been a fly on the wall as the elders conferred on the most discreet way to dispose of it without letting on.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Thanks Emma, Ding, BeSunny i know that our family has gone through things that are sadly all too common in Jw world. You're right, normal is good!

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

jgnat, it was a really nice briefcase too! However, it was the only way i could think of to make a point without being too confrontational! I dont want to play their games with letters.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hello and a big welcome to you both from another UK member. You've had a tough journey but at least you're free now, and together, which is such a blessing. It's a false religion and they are false 'christians' who have damaged so many of us here. I hope you enjoy the forum and benefit from the strong support here. I loved your final actions GoneAwol, that told em straight!

Loz x

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Free and Happy and GoneAwol welcome to you bothThe things you descibe are so familiar to me. All that nonsense with elders playing politics and then kicking you when you are down. Oh yes, been there! So glad your daughter got through her surgery, your precious child! Well done for leaving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit