Were you popular in your congregation or district?

by Emery 55 Replies latest jw friends

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@Cedars - " did anyone else have random people coming up to them at assemblies acting like they were long-time buddies when you didn't have a clue who they were?"

YES YES YES that happened to me fairly often, it cracks me up thinking about it again. I suppose since I gave 1-2 public talks every month in some other KH, and had a part on every assembly people thought they knew me.

Of course it is flattering and that is part of what makes it a drug to these men that rise the ladder within the Org. During the workweek most of them are "nobodies" in normal society, but then on meetings nights, shep calls, etc. they feel like rock stars. Not unique...just pathetic.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Question: What is considered popular wit a bunch a dull drones

There were people younger than me who couldn't even separate

a light joke from a real fact. Socially inept

You'd be better off askin' that question in the middle of a grave yard

Jus' sayin. Get out of her people your in a lifeless cult

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I was barely noticed...which was great. Hardly ever got bugged about going out in field service.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Yeah I am pretty well known. Its why i am still careful with what I say here. Southern Cali has alot of JW's, and alot of doubters.

But I am slowly walking backwards out the door, and so far so good.

My wife and I were a typical "power couple". Kind of hard to not feel a little bit of shame.

• Nowman
    Nowman

I did not realize how popular or another word "known" in the circuit until years later when I reunited with "now" Ex-JW old friends. I guess I was the spiritual rock star, dad was an elder, mom was a regular pioneer, I was a regular pioneer. Yet, I had everyone fooled. I was pretending. I had skits at the assemblies, I was in a Modern Day Drama. lol. Oh, the memories....

I led a double life....

Nikki

• wasblind
    wasblind

MY apologies Emery,

You asked Were you popular , not Are you popular

• Emery
    Emery

No worries wasblind!

I managed to make many friends and was very popular (not so much now as I have been irregular) in both the english and spanish congregations in my state. My network has reached into neighboring states with generally everyone in my age group knowing full well who I am. I too have to maintain a low profile until my final exit. Fortunately this has worked out in my favor as I have continued to help people leave. WTSHTF I am positive it will catch many by surprise.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Yes.

Oldest child to a dirt poor, single mother. Came up through the ranks to be appointed elder at 27. Sought after speaker; including KM School, District, Circuit.

Let me be clear.......I never felt like anything more than an underdog that went 'bigtime' so I could fight for the other underdogs. As a child my family was ignored, my mother told that her kids wouldn't amount to anything, left, forgotten, never invited anywhere. When I "achieved' popular status......my goal was to represent the 'underdog' in every congregation. This makes you popular with all cliques.........

I walked away from all of it.......and have never been happier. I continue to be approached in public by JW's that didn't know I left.....I get the big, warm welcome...a hug......then I look at them and say "You do know I left the cult?".........

..........the shock.....and sometimes tears they cry.........is priceless.

I'm now just a VERY happy worldly guy like everyone else!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Never, I am an introvert, plus my husband was DF. At one time I had a bit of a social life, but then I moved and never really fit in in my new hall. Then my life got crazy, I had health problems, missed a lot of meetings. I stopped going door to door. I was very lonely, when I did go to the meetings, I was often asked if I was visiting. I realized I had nothing in common with anyone. The only good thing about it was that it was really easy to just walk away.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was pretty well known, but generally disliked.

Much as I am here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit