Were you popular in your congregation or district?

by Emery 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I was raised in the truth, pioneered, my father was an elder. I married in the truth to a sister who had been in the congregation for 20 years. In the 12 years we were in the congregation together we never had an invite round for even a coffee by any 8/9 elders or by any of the servants. We were both regular publishers and attenders.

• tiki
    tiki

i was hated and left out in the cong i grew up in....tortured emotionally.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Only to those who wished to exclude anyone I was really attracted to from my life. They actually wanted me to pious-sneer, to donate most of the money for the new Kingdumb Hell we did not need, and to do ever more. Which set me up for damnation to come back in the next life, unaware of anything in this life, born into the most devout joke-hovian witless family on the planet that still has children, and be totally closed out from ever leaving that organization. It also drove Satan out of my life--without Satan, there is no way I can shake this damnation (and to think they are so afraid of Satan--the One True Savior).

They wanted me to just do field circus, go to Beth Hell, and do ever more. The scumbag that dragged me into the cancer even wanted me to move with him when he had to move (because of a new job as a manager of an apartment complex--I feel bad for the tenants at the time). That thing (disrespect intended) wanted me to move into the complex at that time, claiming to save me "gobs and gobs of money" so I could cut way back on my work and pious-sneer. Turns out the "gobs and gobs of money" was 5 toilet papers off a 275 toilet paper monthly rent. The "cut way back" amounts to roughly 20 minutes per week of work at my then pay rate. The worst neighborhood in the city. A commute that was around 5 times longer. All so I could pious-sneer? And get in with his then 8-year old nephew?

Where, O Where, are you Sweet Satan when I need You?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Very popular.

Until I figured it all out, rejected God's mouthpiece and called them snakes.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

pretty popular. Gave talks in spanish, english and asl all over the area. Gave exp at assemblies and came out in demos and dramas. Gave it all up for freedom. I never really looked back and Ive never been happier!

• TeenageInsider
    TeenageInsider

Yes, still am... very much so.

The Jw kids arent so goody-two-shoes anymore.

• flipper
    flipper

EMERY- I was raised by a long time elder and his wife. Dad was a city overseer for quite awhile so my " popularity " was based on WHO I was from a noteworthy JW family in my area . That's as long as I stayed a Ministerial Servant and pioneer. When I stopped pioneering and being a Ministerial servant from that point forward my " popularity " started to dry up and wane. " Popularity " in WT land is conditional based on accomplishments with WT functions and how well you DO those WT functions.

For years I was NOT a MS or pioneer and still got lots of field service time in and interestingly I developed some decent friendships ( not a lot ) with some folks - rank & file JW's - who liked me for just being me - myself as a person. But this did NOT go over well with the elders in my several congregations towards the last 10 years I was a JW. They couldn't understand how people would like me and hang out with me if I wasn't in a position of oversight, an elder, MS, or a pioneer. So elders resented me I felt because the message they get from WT Society topdogs is to divide , conquer, and control members of the congregation into slavery and servitude. Because I had my own independent personality and expressed my opinions sometimes, even to fellow JW's - this got me on the $hit list of the elders - and in time they pressured me so much trying to nail me on some imagined offenses - it chased me out of the organization. It's the best gift they ever could have given me ! LOL ! Now I'm happier than ever not having to dance that fake dance that all Witnesses walk

• Think About It
    Think About It

I've always had pretty good people skills. I was the elder that everyone liked, except for the hardcore Theocratic types. I was accepted by the cliques, but would never fully join them. The regular JW folk related to me very well.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Unpopular and excluded. But I had one good friend, so I thought, and that was sufficient for me.

The JW world is one of cliques. There are in-groups and I was never on the inside. My teenage years were very lonely. I was a nerdy kid who liked 6510 assembly language, everyone else was a bunch of preps who obsessed over their clothes and were into sports.

A few key individuals can marginalize at outlier really quick and the group will comply. And unfortunately, since everyone on the outside the Kingdom Hall was “bad association” and “worldly”, I could find friends who shared my interests.

When I got older, the unpopularity remained, even when I was a servant. A few people did befriend me then. Of course, when people only associate with you because of the amount of field service you are getting in, or the position you have, is that real friendship based on who I was?

• James Brown
    James Brown

My wife and I knew a lot of people when we were witnesses.

We went to a lot of picnics and partys and out to dinner a lot.

It was fine at the time. I dont miss it today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit