14 months after printing the "Steve and Selma" article, guess what the Society's latest Awake is about...

by cedars 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

I feel bad for many of the wt wives. When i was still in, there was a prominent elders wife that complained to me about her husbands abuse. I was close to a co, and recommended that she talk to him about it. She said something along the lines that he wouldn't listen. After i was turfed out, i thought of calling her and referring her to some of the ubused wife shelters. But, since i was in the evil slave class at that time, i lost my nerve. I still wonder about her, how its going.....:(

S

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

I was thinking...I've read quite a few psychology reports on spouse abuse. Many times it mentioned that the #1 reason a wife will not leave her husband is because he makes her feel that everything bad that happens to her is her fault and that she could never live without him.

I wonder why the society doesn't mention such cult like control as the prime reason.

• jgnat
    jgnat

One phrase "extreme violence" gives me flashbacks to my short time as an abused woman. At the time, I rationalized that it was "not that bad" since I did not have black eyes or broken bones. After all, that's what the domestic violence posters sported in those days. Still do. When I finally left and got checked by a doctor, I had dozens of bruises all over my body. The doctor methodically asked how I got each one and I related story after story how I ended up "deserving" each one, separate incidents of abuse spanning weeks. I realized with shock that the abuse had been slowly escalating over the months and I had come very, very close to accepting it as normal.

That's a dangerous phrase that will trap many victims in to a deathly cycle.

Cedars, feel free to share my perspective with that agency.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Many times it mentioned that the #1 reason a wife will not leave her husband is because he makes her feel that everything bad that happens to her is her fault and that she could never live without him.

Just like the WT does to all it's members. a nut doesn't fall far from the tree

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Cedars - has Selma slipped back into her old ways and brazenly provoking her poor husband to hit her? I feel sorry for the chap - he's had to endure years of beating his wife while she gets away scott free.

Excellent comment.

A better article (in ex-JW Fantasyland) would have been a follow-up to Steve and Selma where Watchtower apologizes for even suggesting that Selma improve her loving attitude to stop Steve from hitting her.

• cedars
    cedars

alanv -

Cedars why not just fade. I know it will make you feel better if you formally withdraw, but I dont believe any 'preparing' of your family or friends will stop many of them ever speaking with you again.

I would always recommend fading over being shunned if circumstances allow, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that it is not a long-term answer for me personally. In order to do what I need to do with my life (to the extent I need to do it) I need to speak openly and freely. Also, there is the "living a lie" aspect to all of this. Because of my personal circumstances I am in frequent contact with Witness relatives, and it is a source of intense frustration for me that I should need to pretend that my feelings towards the organization are amicable when they are anything but. My personal integrity won't put up with the pretense much longer.

00DAD -

You actually are free to leave anytime you want.

Not without repercussions. That's my point.

Cedars

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

what month watchtower was the original article in, couldnt find it on watchtower library

• jgnat
    jgnat

nowwhat, this is an Awake article. It is on the front page. http://www.jw.org/en/publications/

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

It was the February 2012 Study Edition Watchtower page 29

http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/w_E_20120215.pdf

• cedars
    cedars

nowwhat?

what month watchtower was the original article in

Are you referring to the Steve and Selma article? If so, here it is...

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2012124 (Scroll down to paragraph 12)

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit