Are we on the brink of another world war?

by slimboyfat 88 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

James woods this situation appears far more serious than the Falklands. When push came to shove Britain crushed Argentinian forces and could easily do so again, if it came to that. (Despite the angst and self-doubt British military strategists may voice from time to time.)

A conflict between China and Japan would be far more deadly because they are much more evenly matched. China obviously has huge economic might and sheer manpower, whereas Japan is highly technically advanced. I have read that although Japan may not possess working nuclear bombs, they certainly have the know-how and capability to construct them within a matter of months if they wished to do so.

Plus let's not be too naive about the United States as an interested actor in any such confrontation. Certain hawks in Washington could certainly perceive an upside to a conflict that would weaken America's emerging rivals in Asia, and things could easily get out of hand.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T
    and the United States is treaty bound to come to aid of Japan.

but we would have to borrow money from China to do IT...

how would that work?`

• cedars
    cedars

I doubt there will be a world war over this. There will be no appetite on the part of the Chinese to have their cities blown to pieces by American bombers, drones and missiles purely for the sake of a few deserted islands. I expect the UN to step in and broker some kind of negotiated territorial settlement before it comes anywhere close to that.

Cedars

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Too globalized for this to happen, IMO.

That's exactly why European statesmen believed war was impossible in 1914. Yet war came, and it set back globalization fifty years or more. Know your history!

Just because war may be a bad idea for all involved, doesn't stop it from happening in the real world. Egos, petty rivalries and losses of face have sparked conflicts causing untold misery throughout mankind's existence, especially following eras of misguided complacency!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    but we would have to borrow money from China to do IT...
    how would that work?`

Declare war on China and cancel the debt? It is only numbers after all, what really matters is hardware, technology and know-how, on all of which the United States is still top dog by a wide margin. I've already heard right wing Americans accuse China of engaging in economic warfare against the United States. If they really believe that, then a military response may come to be viewed as a reasonable response at some point.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

jgnat if you are nervous then I am nervous.

May cooler heads prevail indeed.

• Glander
    Glander

There is always the possibilty of "The Perfect Storm".

Several factors would have to collide.

Unfortunately, many of those very factors are in play at this time.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T
    Declare war on China and cancel the debt?

thats all fine and dandy, but that won't produce new money for the new war..

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    China is doing quite well moving in to a position of dominance through economic growth. Economists like predictability and stability. Perhaps the golden ring of prosperity will allow China to back off this little territorial dispute.

But that's the worry jgnat. China has been doing well, but is now beginning to experience economic difficulties. This may be part of the impetus behind Chinese rhetoric against Japan, to distract its citizens from problems at home, and if things get worse it might prompt them to view war as a solution to their domestic problems.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A war would do a world of good for the price of metallurgical coal.

Sad side joke. I am in a mining town.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit