The "Tree of Life and its meaning"

by EdenOne 169 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

But there is always a reason why people make bad moral choices. Its always rooted somewhere in nature or nurture.

You have simply evaded the question.

• cofty
    cofty

It was a real event

No it wasn't. There never was an Adam and Eve.

Take a look at this thread that summarises just some of the evidence that humans evolved from non-human ancestors over millions of years.

To be intellectually honest you need to accomodate reality in your belief system.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

cofty

Let's say you're in a closed room with two doors, A and B. Someone tells you that behind one of the doors there's a lion and you must open one of the doors to get out. Now make a choice.

If you open the door that contains the lion, will you blame it on nature, nurturing, or the real answer is in probabilities, or you didn't look enough for signs of where the lion was?

Eden

• still thinking
    still thinking

Its always rooted somewhere in nature or nurture.

If he made them, he must be responsible for both nature and nurture. More so than a normal parent since he had control over their genes too.

Man, that makes it difficult for ordinary parents who have no control over the nature side of things if God can't even get it right...

• cantleave
    cantleave

Why do the Jews - whose book this story comes from, see it as an allegorical tale?

• designs
    designs

A dose of reality hit them 500 years before Jesus, Jesus didn't get the memo

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

cofty, just as I don't expect to persuade you that Adam and Eve did exist, you can't persuade me of the inexistence of God, for it is impossible to prove the inexistance of something unless you first define such something. By "defining" it, you are already constructing its existence, even if by intelectual conjecture alone. So it's circular reasoning.

Faith in God comes primarily from inside yourself, and isn't dependant on the world outside you. Naturally, the more evidence you perceive as proving God's existance, the more solid is such faith, but it's not an absolute requirement.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

cantleave

I presume that they don't have any more evidence than I do. However, they don't have Jesus as a validation for that account. Nor do they see Jesus' ransom rooted in that same account. So it's easy for them to discard it as an allegory.

Eden

• designs
    designs

Eden- How do you account for Paul inventing a Ransom scenario for his Messiah when Judaism did not.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

designs,

Paul was an apostate of Judaism, as Jesus was also. Plus he didn't "invent" anything. However, it took quite a departure for Paul, an ex-Pharisee, to accept Jesus. That departure came from a supernatural experience that changed his views completely. I wish we could all get lucky to have such an experience. I never had such, but then again, I'm already a believer.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit