The "Tree of Life and its meaning"

by EdenOne 169 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, dear EO, and peace to you! I read your well-written article; unfortunately, though, I have to disagree with it and share with you that (1) it's really not that complicated, and (2) it's really not an "it"... but a "he":

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (John 14:6)

"I am the True Vine" (John 15:1)

"I am the vine... you are the branches" (John 15:5)

"if the root is holy, so are the branches" (Romans 11:16)

"You do not support the root, but the root supports you" (Romans 11:18)

"In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples ; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious." ( Isaiah 11:10 )

"The Root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over the nations ; in him the Gentiles will hope.” ( Romans 15:12 )

"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit." ( Isaiah 11:1 )

"Hear, I pray thee, Joshua, the high priest, Thou and thy companions sitting before thee, (For men of type [are] they,) For lo, I am bringing in Myservant -- a Shoot ." ( Zechariah 3:8 )

"Then he showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations ." ( Revelation 22:1, 2

"Whoever feeds on my flesh (John 6:54) and drinks my blood has eternal life..."

Christ, the Root of Jesse, True Vine, Sprout/Shoot!... and Life... is the Tree of Life, dear one. And it eating of HIM... HIS "leaves"... which is his flesh... that we are "cured"... of sin and death... so as to live... forever.

Seriously. While the term "tree" is metaphorical and symbolic... he IS real.

I hope this helps... and am very sorry you had to spend so much time on your article (which doesn't accurately explain the "meaning" of the "tree" that is my Lord... but you're not the first to have tried nor will you be the last). Some advice, if I may? Don't lean upon your own understanding. Don't try to "figure" these things out based on what you think you "know" and certainly not based on ANYTHING you've learned about it from the WTBTS, as they SURELY have no clue whatsoEVER! None, at ALL! Rather, seek... so as to find that One... and then ask for some of the "water" from that "river" that issues forth from him: the "water" of "life"... holy spirit.

Because it is through that spirit, and by means of him, Christ, the Tree of Life and the one who grants it... that you can be led into ALL truth, including the truth about him. 1 John 2:26-28 I realize that you may believe you have already received that spirit and it's "anointing," but I would offer that perhaps you may have only just heard the CALL of the One who grants it. Because it is the spirit of TRUTH... and, unfortunately, what you've published is NOT the truth about the Tree of Life, not even close. I have no doubt that your intent was sincere, but its results are inaccurate. Perhaps you will use that sincerity, then, to try again... but this time, allow HIM, the Truth, to tell you... rather than publish a speculation.

People's eternal lives are at stake, dear one. We can't afford to further mislead them. We shouldn't mislead them anyway. Love dictates that we don't... that we put THEIR interest, and thus the interest of truth, and thus the interest of THE Truth, and thus the interest of Christ, and thus the interest of GOD... before our own interests. Yes?

I hope this helps and, again, peace to you!

YOUR servant, as I am servant to ALL those of the Household of God, Israel, and all those who go with... and a slave of Christ,

SA

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

okay I have re-read your article edenOne and believe me you are not misleading anyone as shelby is quick to point out (she is merely sharing her opinion together with her particular interpretation of the biblical passages). You have worked out your reasoning in and though holy spirit as you have clearly shown. Life on this earth is temporary - I so agree - most atheists would agree with you. In your interpretation of Genises you flesh out the prospect of a hope of life in heaven for all those who endeavour to live morally significant lives. This is very different from Jehovahs witnesses who preach indefinite life on earth for the majority of sheeplike ones.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

Humans have looked heavenward for their destiny whilst being aware of their earthly origins as soon as they began to ask questions - this forms a basis of inquiry just as much for the scientific community both ancient and modern.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Ok, I can post again. I wonder when this limitation in the number of posts will end.

James Woods, I wrote this to you in a PM, but now I will say it here. I'm not starting a new religion and I'm not looking for followers. You're stuck in that notion, and you pass your judgement based on that. Of course that my background as a JW since infancy shows. Why wouldn't it? I'm openly frontal about aknowledging my spiritual heritage. Of course I'm sharing the result of my studies as I go. I'm not set on making a "theory of everything". God knows where this will lead me. Finally, a word about keeping a respectful tone. I've kept a respectful tone towards everyone here, you included. I expect the same from you.

Terry, you gave good examples on your PM about how comparing oneself with a fictional character doesn't necessarily turns a fictional character into a real one (example: a liar = pinocchio). Point taken.

AGuest (Shelby?), thank you for your challenge. Naturally, I disagree with you. While Jesus is most definetively involved in the "reward" for the believers, the trees in Eden weren't metaphorical, although they were of a symbolic significance. As I'm sure it didn't escape your analisys, the conclusions I drew are quite a departure from the current teachings of the WTS, because I'm upholding the notion of a heavenly reward for ALL Christians - something that was discarded by the WTS in 1935 - and at the same time, harmonizing it with the notion of a future paradise on earth that will be inhabited forever by righteous humans. And where do you read that I claim to have been "anointed"?

Soft+Gentle, thank you for the kind remarks. You seemed to have grasped the bottom line of my conclusions, whether you agree with them or not.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

But your entire theory is based on the false premise that there actually was an Adam and Eve.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Eden,

A couple of questions.

One, the last paragraph threw me off. Did you state that there will be a 'new' or 'healed' Earth too?

Also, you quote Eclesiastes 3:11, or at least the first part of it regarding 'time indefinite' in man's heart. The second part of this verse to me is more interesting. It refers to God placing time indefinte in man's heart so as to keeping God's motives or objectives hidden from man.

How does this entire verse fit in with your theory?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Monsieur,

The last paragraph has no mention of a "new earth" at all. I quote: "(...) perfectly faithful humans living very long, fruitful and healthy lives in an restored and healed earth (...) ". Do you see a contradiction there?

As for Eclesiastes 3:11, I don't think it holds much mystery. God has implanted in humans the natural desire to keep on living indefinetly and yet, not even time indefinite would allow humans to completely understand Jehovah's ways and wisdom. That's how I see it.

cofty,

Naturally, this entire essay is based on the premise that Adam and Eve were real characters in a real story. If i didn't believe in it, i wouldn't go to all the trouble to elaborate the essay don't you think? Of course if you consider that the creation is a myth altogether and Adam and Eve are fictional characters, there's no way we can have a leveled discussion upon it, since we don't share the same starting point. On a side note, have you ever heard about the "Gap Theory" of Genesis?

Eden

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

As I posted on another recent thread and in this one, it is impossible for Adam and Eve to be actual humans. Rather, they are symbols for the human condition on the earth we know now. The authors do not waste much time describing Paradise.

I find it sad that fundamentalist believers and others cannot share viewpoints. There is no room for normal conversation. The view that the Bible refers to literal people is not supported by evidence. Blind faith cannot be discussed. I would think that universal lessons are in holy scripture of almost any religion. We could agree to discuss these underlying themes.

My life is so integrated with the secular world that is hard to even conceive of fundamentalism. I do have faith. Most mainstream Christians do not view science and faith as opposites. The view that the Bible is inerrant is a small part of Christianity. Sadly, though, extremist postions are growing, esp. in America. No wonder culture wars inform our political and social process.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    James Woods, I wrote this to you in a PM, but now I will say it here. I'm not starting a new religion and I'm not looking for followers. You're stuck in that notion, and you pass your judgement based on that. Of course that my background as a JW since infancy shows. Why wouldn't it? I'm openly frontal about aknowledging my spiritual heritage. Of course I'm sharing the result of my studies as I go. I'm not set on making a "theory of everything". God knows where this will lead me. Finally, a word about keeping a respectful tone. I've kept a respectful tone towards everyone here, you included. I expect the same from you.

Your actions tell me different. You have created a belief system all on your own, made a website to promote it, and are preaching your self-made doctrines here. To what exact purpose I cannot say - but I cannot imagine any purpose except to convince others of your beliefs. And yet, at the same time, you (unbelievably) are still hanging on to the JW religion while deceiving them about your private religious activities.

I am sorry, but I find this behavior quite bizarre - and no, I cannot respect it.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Your self-righteousness speaks volumes, James Woods... Must be great to be you.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit