The "Tree of Life and its meaning"

by EdenOne 169 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Faith is simply believing in something, sometimes without any evidence. It may or may not have any particular relationship to reality.

• cofty
    cofty
    Then, for clarity of discussion, you're not an atheist, you're an agnostic.

No I'm an atheist. I have never met an atheist who thinks they can prove there is no god.

I find the evidence for god to be vacuous and the evidence against god to be compelling. If new evidence for god ever becomes available I will consider it objectively.

There may be a god in the same way that there may be an invisible teapot in orbit around mars. Lets not get bogged down in tedious atheist/agnostic definitions.

the difference is that Adam and Eve were homo sapiens created directly by God

Which is 100% anti-scientific.

You say you have studied books on evolution, which ones?

You seem confused about whether you are advocating special creation, intelligent design or theistic evolution.

We did not descend from an original pair. How do you accommodate that fact in your theology?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

James Woods, since you're so interested in my supposed "hypocrisy", it's rather interesting that you didn't have a word to say about your hypocrisy in being a member of a forum that deceptively takes the name of the Jehovah's Witnesses to lure the unaware Witnesses as if this were a friendly and "legit" Witness site. When I first found this forum, must have been 6 or 7 years ago, I came here thinking it was a site made by Jehovah's Witnesses. So I know what kind of hypocrisy and deception is involved in calling this "jehovahs-witnesses.net". What I'm surprised is that someone like you can accept being part of such "hypocrisy". But as I predicted, you don't have any issues with that. But you have issues with my standing as a JW? I think your Ferrari would be a better investment for your time, really...

Eden

• sabastious
    sabastious
    No Sab you are playing silly semantic word games again.

It's a curious phenomenon being accused of something the accuser is guilty of. I never quite get used to it. You have turned the word "faith" into a buzz term which encapsulates an idealogy about it. Then you debate that term with a specific description which is just semantics.

When ever you describe "faith" you always describe blind faith and then mischaracterize the concept. That's why I gave the example of faith in a marriage mate. At any time they can use free will and breach the marital agreement. If you have faith in your mate you can say things like, "I know my mate won't cheat on me, they are not that type of person." If the statement is not based in any evidence then it's simply blind faith and will likely end in heartbreak. However, if the statement comes from careful observation while experiencing life with that mate and understanding their personality and humanity then it's not blind faith, it's REAL faith. Which is a beautiful and powerful thing.

The faith that is required to fill the gap where there is insufficient evidence is not the same as faith that is a synonym for trust.

Yes, like how marriage mates don't actually know if the other will be faithful or not. Scientists make leaps of faith all of the time, but they must be attached to something tangible, or else it won't produce anything. For example, many people had faith that Mr Higgs was right about his elementary particle class. They had to have a measure of belief because they didn't have empirical proof. However, many still funded research that accounted for the particle even though it wasn't scientifically demonstrable. It turns out it was a good bet to make.

Is it wrong to bet on God?

-Sab

• AGuest
    AGuest

Testing: supercalifragilistikexpealidocious...

A doulos of Christ,

SA, just conducting a test, please excuse...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    supercalifragilistikexpealidocious...

Semantics!

-Sab

• james_woods
    james_woods
    James Woods, since you're so interested in my supposed "hypocrisy", it's rather interesting that you didn't have a word to say about your hypocrisy in being a member of a forum that deceptively takes the name of the Jehovah's Witnesses to lure the unaware Witnesses as if this were a friendly and "legit" Witness site. When I first found this forum, must have been 6 or 7 years ago, I came here thinking it was a site made by Jehovah's Witnesses. So I know what kind of hypocrisy and deception is involved in calling this "jehovahs-witnesses.net". What I'm surprised is that someone like you can accept being part of such "hypocrisy". But as I predicted, you don't have any issues with that. But you have issues with my stading as a JW? I think your Ferrari would be a better investment for your time, really...
    Eden

That is nuts. I did not name the forum - it is a forum for ex-JWs. Did you ever consider that the name could mean "about" JWs - not "for" JWs? I am - if you read my profile - an ex-JW. You are continuing to pretend to be a member of one religion (JW) while you are preaching another (self-made) one. That is hypocrisy - straw man insults beside the point.

• cofty
    cofty

No Sab - now you are adding yet a new definintion of faith. I think you are being willfully obtuse.

Scientists form hypotheses and test those. Some of those ideas prove worthy of further research and investment.

This is as far from religious faith as it would be possible to imagine.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    This is as far from religious faith as it would be possible to imagine.

Now you have narrowed down your semantics. Do you believe religious faith isn't a good bet?

-Sab

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Is it wrong to bet on God?

Faith in someone's future based on past actions is evidence based. Faith in God is blind faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit