2+2=5 cited this fact about the shrinking amount of elders. Perhaps the coming implosion?

by wha happened? 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Also a couple of decades ago when the end was really being pressed, this I'm sure spurred on certain men to pursue a higher stated

position in their congregations. Now that a lot of that stringent pressure has teetered off somewhat, people are hesitant to take on responsibilities

on to themselves. Just my own assumption/opinion mind you.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I didn't even have kids because the end was so near. It would be so difficult to raise them in the pre-tribulation.

Many are like that, so there are so many older ones who can't even supply less than 25% of their kids to stay in, because the number is ZERO.

Maybe their 1995 Generation change was supposed to relax the young JW's into having kids. It didn't work on me.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thats a valid point Onthewayout, a lot of people who got married didn't have kids just for the same reason you mentioned.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

this may hold true for most of the "western" countries with the exception of foreign language congregations. latin american congregations for example tend to be very young and they may start exporting elders to where the need is great...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

J. Hofer, if that's the case it will not only be devastating to have so few elders, but moving them in from foriegn language congregations would truly be a source of entertainment. Years back there was a Korean brother in our hall who was an elder. Out of the dozens of parts he conducted, I maybe got 5 words total. Watching the publishers look at each other confused was hilarious.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Many of the elders I know that have been appointed in recent years would never have made the grade just a few years ago, they really are lowering the bar.

I know a WT overseer who is virtually illiterate and a MS overseer who is little better. Their lack of any sort of Bible knowledge and/or understanding is amazing. When I mentioned to the WTO about the FDS change he told me that the OS have been on the GB for years!

George

• Fernando
    Fernando

According to a 2010 USA Lifeway survey 72% of 18-29 year olds say they are more spiritual than religious.

According to a 2008 PEW survey 66% of those raised as Jehovah's Witnesses no longer are JWs.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

If this is the case............hmmmmmmmmm...........I wonder if the WBT$ will flip flop back to the old 'congregation servant'(R) arrangement like they had before the elder(TM) arrangement was introduced.

Do I care? Not on your nelly!

• cantleave
    cantleave

I was the youngest elder in my congregation - 42 at the time of leaving.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Doesn't matter. Most of the tasks in a congregation are pretty low-skill and can be pushed down the chain to MS. You can run a congregation with 4 Elders, no problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit