Would Elders You Knew Have Ordered Stonings If They Could Have?

by Cold Steel 81 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I don't know about the elders but there might have been some women (eldresses) there who would have wanted to stone some sister. Kill the competition.

These would be the women who instigate those "special needs" talks about modesty in dress.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Whenever I see photos like that from our era the more I think that stoning never actually came from God but was a man-made law. Especially with Jesus' reaction to it. Maybe as justice for a cold blooded murderer it was, but not for anything else.

Aunt Connie... you need to get away from your cold-hearted husband.

• just Ron
    just Ron

Just a side note. The Jesus let the first one without sin cast the first stone is not part of the NWT. So stonings can be ok in the new system when some one sins.

just Ron

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

“Good people will do good things, and bad people will carry out bad things. However, if you want to get good people to do bad things, just introduce the G.O.D. word into the equation!”

But what if a society that really is a theocracy such as the one led by Moses, and subsequently passed on to Joshua? The Jehovah's Witnesses admittedly have no revelation or inspired writings that reach scripture status. When the Lord took people in death, such as Nadab and Abihu (Leviticus 10), Achan (Joshua 7), Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5) and others, there was always a prophet involved who used the gift of discernment in the judgment of the people. Actually, when there’s an absence of GOD and his inspiration does the risk of unjustified capital punishment become an issue. Recall also the case of the woman accused of adultery, whom Jesus saved by telling her to go her way, but to sin no more.

One of the most blatant examples of the great apostasy that showed that Christ’s ancient church had fled into the wilderness was the Catholic church’s use of bizarre, grotesque and appallingly cruel instruments of torture. While the Lord had authorized whipping under the Law of Moses, the instant blood was drawn, the whipping had to stop, regardless of what the count was he had been sentenced to. During the Inquisition, the drawing of blood was a sign the torturers were just getting started.

This story is a confirmed fact: During one official closed meeting, [an] elder said seriously: “...yes, and we did not kill enough of you...,” almost shaking with anger. With high probability the shaking would have caused the first stone to miss.

I’ve gone to a number of churches over the years and attended meetings of many sects, but I never saw any anger displayed. It makes me wonder what kind of a meeting this was and who his anger was directed at?

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

disturbing photos dazed...! how awful what some humans can do to the other humans

regarding the OP....

An elder in our old congregation answered up in the WT once... I believe there was the example of Phinehas (you know the one who speared the fornicators through the middle..."what and aaaagonizing deaath", great drama that). Anyhoo, brother "oldandtiredandfaithfulandsickofallyoumerepublisherssinningallthetime" said something to the effect of "...elders today dont have that kind of authority, although at times we wish we could carry around a big stick..." There were a few incredulous looks in the hall, including from some of the other elders. Brother "loveandforgivenessbutnobackbonetostandupforus", brother "seriouslyanxiousallthetime", brother "bythebookknobhead".... i dont think any of them knew where to look!

• Glander
    Glander

Long HG

"I don't know about the elders but there might have been some women (eldresses) there who would have wanted to stone some sister. Kill the competition.

These would be the women who instigate those "special needs" talks about modesty in dress. "

I think your observation is spot on and deserves a thread of its own. I certainly can testify to the influence of "eldresses" or "elderettes" that I knew, or was related to.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Vehemently, yes, dear CS (peace to you!). Especially two who sat on my man JC committees (one STILL literally grinds his teeth when he sees me... which is absolutely hilarious because he's a "former" homosexual)... and various "pioneer sisters." I can handle it, though, as once I came to understand who they truly were I knew what was coming (it started when I partook and heightened when my visit with Carey Barber came to light on the heels of something I wrote to the GB showing up in the October 15, 1995 Watchtower.

I have to say, though, that what I experienced in the WTBTS... is NOTHING compared to what I have experienced here over the past 2 or so years. Not even... and I still go in among them. My feeling? While the WTBTS folks might throw rocks, some here would, if they could get away with it... not only throw rocks, but decapitate you, then drag your carcass behind a horse through the town. You know, to make sure you're FULLY dead... as well as give a warning to anyone else who might make certain claims that they can't receive.

Don't be fooled, dear one: that same "stone 'em" mentally now exists right here on good ol' JWN. Never did before. But post that you can hear the voice of the Fine Shepherd (John 10:3, 4, 16, 27; Hebrews 12:25)... and then wait for the pelting. I assure you... it will come, and quickly.

Indeed: 10... 9... 8...

Again, peace to you...

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Angharad
    Angharad

Don't be fooled, dear one: that same "stone 'em" mentally now exists right here on good ol' JWN. Never did before. But post that you can hear the voice of the Fine Shepherd (John 10:3, 4, 16, 27; Hebrews 12:25)... and then wait for the pelting. I assure you... it will come, and quickly.

Indeed: 10... 9... 8...

Give it a rest Shelby - you seem to be going out of your way to bring things on yourself sometimes (not all the time) neither side is innocent here, but the type of comment above does not help at all - I am not going to let another thread get derailed into a "voice" debate. It is also disappointing to see what you really think of this forum, we have bent over backwards to keep things under control when there was alot of unfair bullying being thrown your way, but comments like the one above seem to imply that you want it to continue.

• jam
    jam

Those elders who beat their kids mercilessly and with

the support of some of the Rf, yes. My ex also told my kids,

to bad we can not stone disobedient children. They definitely

walk to a different beat.

• eva luna
    eva luna

What a sad commentary you have have on posters AGuest

If you are saying anyone here would 'stone you, decapitate you, drag you around ,,,etc.' . You are wrong! What a morbid thought.

Peace to your heart.

eva . saddened by your thoughts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit