New York Times Essay - The Blessings of Atheism

by Band on the Run 73 Replies latest social current

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm rather enjoying the DP interaction too.

• still thinking
    still thinking

God does not give us diseases...tec

Who did then? Aren't they part of his creation?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Pandora's box, ST.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It is an interesting essay. I thought this point was important:

Atheists may also be secular humanists and freethinkers — I answer to all three — but avoidance of identification with atheism confines us to a closet that encourages us to fade or be pushed into the background when tragedy strikes.

It's important for atheists to speak up. I don't really care if atheists are misunderstood; that doesn't matter so much as speaking out to decrease the amount of ignorance in the world. Simply falling back on "faith" when tough questions are asked is ignorant. And it doesn't encourage research, discussion and enlightenment.

Why does the quote thing do that -- overlap the lines?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

He was given a long garment of skin (this vessel that he passed on to his progeny) that trapped the sin and death into IT.

tec, please explain something. From the Genesis story, Eve was supposedly created from one of Adam's ribs. He would have had a bone/skeletal structure.

So they were just skeletal creatures with no external skin "garments" at all? What kept their internal organs intact?

And by this reasoning, skinning a modern-day human alive would un-trap the sin and death inside of it?

Had Adam not been given the garment that trapped death in it;

I still don't understand. A physical skin "garment" similar to the animal life "created" before them, or a figurative one?

• tec
    tec

So if there was an Adam, what was he?

A spirit. A man. A living being... created by God. Not the same at his creation, as what we are now. We are what Adam became. Not what Adam was created as.

When was he?

You mean in relation to the rest of the physical world?

I'm not sure.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

A spirit. A man. A living being... created by God. Not the same at his creation, as what we are now.

I am a man, Adam was a man. How is that different?

You mean in relation to the rest of the physical world?

Yes.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

They should it on TLC right after Honey Boo-Boo, "Voice Wars"

• cofty
    cofty

I have no problem with science or evolution, and I am not ignorant of them - Tammy

You believe humans descended from an original pair therefore you have utter contempt for science.

Horternsia - its becaue of a <span> tag in the section you quoted.

You can use the HTML button and remove it manually or its easier to enter a few blank paragraphs, click back in the first one, then select "quote" from the styles menu and paste the quote in the yellow box.

• DavePerez
    DavePerez

EP said:

They should it on TLC right after Honey Boo-Boo, "Voice Wars"

Proving my point, are you? It's exactly those kind of ego-driven silly comments and "mine's bigger than yours" posters that don't exactly make this an environment conducive to discussions.

Tell you what, TEC: I registered on another "apostate" site (LOL! Love that title: it makes me feel like such a rebel) on the basis of a friend's recommendation (a kid from our local congregation who is now OUT! Thanks to JWN and my posts here, he was able to track me down IRL (I'm apparently not as hard to locate as I thought, LOL!). Pretty cool stuff, indeed.

Hopefully it's not violating any unwritten rule to post a link (which seems hard to imagine: why would anyone not want to share in the "good work" of speaking out against the WTBTS? Brothers in arms, and all that)? But if so, please let me know, and I can edit the link out (but let me know BEFORE the 30 minute time limit!!). If not, then perhaps a mod can kindly remove it, right?

I don't want to step on toes here (well, maybe a few opposable toes that need some opposition (cough! AGuest! cough)..... Just kidding, AGuest: you KNOW Elohim luvs you, right? You ARE the Goliath to his David, the John the Baptist to OUR Savior).

TEC, I'm pretty sure you can read (lurk) there, even if you don't register (as I just did), so I'll post later tonight responding to the questions you asked. But if you want to respond, I think you've got to register ie I don't think they allow anonymous comments, as some websites do. I will continue to post here (as it's got many interesting comments esp in the archives), but likely limit it to short replies (like this).

Regards,

David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit