New York Times Essay - The Blessings of Atheism

by Band on the Run 73 Replies latest social current

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

atheist would you say your greatest blessing is that you are your own authority?

• cofty
    cofty

No.

Being an atheist means never having to try to believe stuff. Embracing reality is so rewarding.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cofty: okay i was just wondering

• cofty
    cofty

Isn't it great being able to indulge in evidence-free thinking?

Sab claims to have the solution to the question of theodicy but won't share it.

Tammy claims that we weren't meant to be subject to suffering at some time she calls "the beginning" but won't say any more about it.

The lure of cheap certainty is strong.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Thanks for the article, BOTR

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Faith not only does't provide answers, it stops you from asking the questions.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

The lack of belief in God is nothing but a gateway to nihilism, anarchy, selfish behavior, and immorality.

• cofty
    cofty

That's just an ignorant and groundless assertion TS.

• tec
    tec

So what happened?

Such things... sin and death... entered the world when Adam took them into himself.

He was given a long garment of skin (this vessel that he passed on to his progeny) that trapped the sin and death into IT. He was cast out of the garden (the spiritual realm), bringing death with him... and the way back to the Life (the Tree of Life/ Christ/ the Source of life) was blocked.

So death is in the world, and the world and all that is in the world, is subject to death (gets sick, gets hurt, ages, dies).

But Christ came (and comes)... to give Life. He is the source of Life, and He has authority over death. So those who belong to Christ are not subject to death; they are subject to Life. Because they have Him (his spirit/blood) - Life - in them. Only the flesh that has death and sin in it (the kind that we have right now, but that will be changed - in a twinkling - when Christ returns so that we are like him)... dies; and that flesh counts for nothing.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Faith not only does't provide answers, it stops you from asking the questions.

You kidding me?

I have tons of questions, and i ask them, reflect on them, seek answers for them... all the time!

:)

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit