New York Times Essay - The Blessings of Atheism

by Band on the Run 73 Replies latest social current

• tec
    tec

Eh?

Science can show us the how of things, and give us the building blocks to understand more... because when we see and understand one thing, we are open to things that might be known after that. Some things we might not have been able to 'bear' before, because we had no point of reference.

Such as attempting to tell someone how germs cause illness, before the microscope was invented to allow us to discover germs to begin with.

peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

theres no embaressment with me me as well,i cant speak for tec, aguest and company,we all believe in a creator,but from there are veiws are far differnt lol

Religion: "God controls the tides and how the earth works!" followed by thousands of years of bloody fighting over who that God is.

Science: "Uh, tides are controlled by the moon, specifically the gravitational force it exerts on the parts of the earth nearest it" followed by launching a damn robot to Mars.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Science can help one see how something comes to be; a process; etc. Building blocks.

And where the blocks came from.... never done asking questions.

• tec
    tec

I don't get embarrassed by what others say either, even if I think it is wrong. I might once have, not sure. But others are on their own path, and at various places on their paths, and this is not for me to judge. I am to keep an eye upon myself. Witness to Christ. Share something to help as/if I can.

Peace,

tammy

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Thanks, cofty, I'll keep an eye out for the <span> tags

The essay was about the "blessings" that come with atheism. Poor choice of words, IMO. But the author is right that atheists need to be more willing to talk about why they are atheists, and be more of a community presence. Hard to do with individual thinkers, though, like herding cats. As for what to say when someone dies, well, the atheist at least faces reality. Warm fuzzy fantasies don't really help anyone who has lost a loved one feel better.

Death is a really sad event, no one wants to die, and the reality is we're all going to do so. It's a bitter thing, but at least for the time we are alive we can really love life, take advantage of its wonders, and remember we aren't alone. That's what makes an atheist moral -- the knowledge that everyone is in the same boat.

Just rambling, thinking about the essay that was the point of the OP.

• tec
    tec

I can understand what the author is saying.

Life is a gift, whether it is fleeting or eternal. Do the best you can with this life that you have; help others; love; learn; explore.

Loss of life is a tragedy. Some of the things said by theists can make that worse at times, and are just as untrue (from my pov) that there is nothing else.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I think my problem with the essay in the OP is its attempt to redefine atheism.

I'm content to allow atheism to mean nothing more than a lack of belief in god. When somebody says they are an atheist it doesn't really tell us very much - its still possible I will have absolutely nothing in common with their personal philosophy.

I have met atheists who believe in all sorts of woo.

For me atheism is just one facet of being rational.

When somebody has no superstitions, when they reject the supernatural, reincarnation, gaia, reiki, chakras, afterlife, spirits or angels. When they embrace human potential and accept the reality that this life is the only one we will ever have. When they live in constant awe and wonder about life, the universe and everything then they are more than a dictionary atheist. The fact they don't believe in god is a trivial detail.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

A- Arrogant enough to think they dont need God.

T- Too prideful to display Christian humility.

H- Hell, as in going to with gasoline draws.

E- educated in the mundane things of this ungodly world

I-ignorant of our Saviour, The Lord

S-Satan's disciples

T-turn back before it's too late.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

ts: very well put!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I agree atheism is simply lack of belief in any god. And atheists are all very different from each other.

I ought to start a thread on polarity and reiki and their ilk. Nearly 30 years of experience with all that sort of thing. I have plenty to say about it - but it isn't what this thread is about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit