What evidence is there for Jesus (NOT USING THE BIBLE)?

by punkofnice 139 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mP
    mP

@JGNAT

Pliny the Younger on Christians, 111-113 CE

I assume you are not interested in the artifacts of the cross, bone, and robe scattered across Christendom.

mP:

Have you actually read what Pliny said ? Dying on a cross is a common theme in many ancient religions. ANcient religions were not very original, they often shared many similarities. Im sure you are aware that all the Roman gods were identical to the Greek ones. The same continues with other cultures about the place.

If you read Plinys commentary its basically one line that says well ill let you write it up, it wont take long to show just how little and pathetic it is.

• mP
    mP

Tornapart

Josephus 'Antiquities of the Jews' Book 18 chap 3 v.3 and Book 20 chap.9 v.1 written 93/94AD

mP:

Have you actually read what Josephus said ?

I wont comment on the first reference but lets read the 2nd in full. I think you will find the jesus on the text is not our Jesus.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Antiquities_of_the_Jews/Book_XX

and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others, [or, some of his companions]; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done; they also sent to the king [Agrippa], desiring him to send to Ananus that he should act so no more, for that what he had already done was not to be justified; n

Did you read barely a few lines down... the jesus of this paragraph is the son not of Joseph or Mary but of Damneus !!!

hereupon Albinus complied with what they said, and wrote in anger to Ananus, and threatened that he would bring him to punishment for what he had done; on which king Agrippa took the high priesthood from him, when he had ruled but three months, and made Jesus, the son of Damneus, high priest.

• mP
    mP

ChristAlone:

The NT writings that are excluded by these two men are very similar to that of Irenaeus, but Clement then includes many writings as “scripture” that did not get final acceptance.

mP:

Have you checked what the men you quote actually said about Jesus. Ill select Irenaus, because he has some very interesting info about jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Detection_and_Overthrow_of_the_So-Called_Gnosis#Main_arguments

In Book II, chapter 22 of his treatise, Irenaeus asserts that the ministry of Jesus lasted from when he was baptized at the age of 30 until at least the age of 40:

[F]rom the fortieth and fiftieth year a man begins to decline towards old age, which our Lord possessed while He still fulfilled the office of a Teacher, even as the Gospel and all the elders testify; those who were conversant in Asia with John, the disciple of the Lord, [affirming] that John conveyed to them that information. And he remained among them up to the times of Trajan. Some of them, moreover, saw not only John, but the other apostles also, and heard the very same account from them, and bear testimony as to the [validity of] the statement. [12]

Thats right Ireneaus says Jesus died of old age...how can anything this guy say be taken seriously.
  • Fernando
    Fernando

Hey punkofnice!

I once saw a video by Dr John Dickson that may be of some use: http://johndickson.org/christfiles

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I believe the whole thing is a hoax. Jesus is actually a thoughtform that people worship, with the energy going toward the eventual enslavement of all mankind. They are waiting for the second coming, which is actually planned to corral mankind so the Jesuits and a few elite can enslave the whole world. All at the directive of the angels and jehovah.

Most of the stories were in fact stolen from pagan sources. Christmas--it is all an astrology lesson. You are celebrating the rising of the sun from the "dead"--off the Cross of the Zodiac. Christ means the sun--it can and does mean the "chi force" in the oldest religions. There were at least 18 others who supposedly died on a cross or tree and were resurrected after 3 days. None of which I would have even realized had I not actually checked some of the sources out--even the ones that were wrong at least got me away from one that is not only wrong but spiritually deadly.

• tornapart
    tornapart

mp... you've got the wrong Jesus. Josephus was writing about the time after Festus had died and Albinus had taken over as procurator of Judea in 62AD. Jesus Christ brother of James died many years prior to this so could not have been the Jesus he mentioned later.

There were many named Jesus during this time and this 'Jesus' was made high priest, he would not have been known as the 'Christ'.

• mouthy
    mouthy

What evidence is there for Jesus exsistance????
    Come stay with me...! He helps me every minit of the days, He created all I see outside my window,
    right now it is loads of snow,( cant say I like it but it looks lovely) the flowers that used to bloom under my window
    smell so strong roses lilacs, tulips,(OH LOVELY SMELLS)
    The folks passing by with beautiful dogs wagging their tails,all colors black, brown, white, ginger,
    The little squirrels that come & pick up the nuts i throw them,,,OH & those ruddy crows who rip my garbage
    bag apart to get the left overs in em SHOO!!!!! The person that left a box of goodies home made,in my post box???no
    name on it? The folks on this site that encourage me so often.... Angie & Simon( I know they dont believe in him)
    but HE used them to start a FAMILY thread... I havent read all your intelligent answers to why you DONT believe
    I am just telling you why I KNOW HE exists .Yes I know he is allowing an intruder to rule here on earth.
    But he lives at MY HOUSE ,Your welcome to visit....

• tornapart
    tornapart

Granny Grace.. I love that!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, dear mp, and peace to you! I think you are reading both accounts erroneously. As pointed out, the first account is speaking about another, who was named "Jesus", being named high priest (the temple has not yet been destroyed). We know it's not Christ... because he was NEVER named high priest of the temple at Jerusalem (surely, he would have been the LAST one so named during his day! And if he WAS, the JEWISH system would have record of such).

Your interpretation of the second account is even more curious:

[F]rom the fortieth and fiftieth year a man begins to decline towards old age, which our Lord possessed while He still fulfilled the office of a Teacher, even as the Gospel and all the elders testify; those who were conversant in Asia with John, the disciple of the Lord, [affirming] that John conveyed to them that information. And he remained among them up to the times of Trajan. Some of them, moreover, saw not only John, but the other apostles also, and heard the very same account from them, and bear testimony as to the [validity of] the statement.
    Thats right Ireneaus says Jesus died of old age...how can anything this guy say be taken seriously.

How you get THAT from this account I don't know. Because the account is not saying my Lord died of old age... but that WHEN he died my Lord possessed the declination of a man 40-50 years old. And that in SPITE of this, in SPITE of the body of an older man... which men usually decline in THEIR services... HE he still fulfilled is office as Teacher... which another man of that age most likely would NOT be able to do (and for those who care to know, the "elder" men WEREN'T men who were 60, 70, 80 years old... but consider such when they were 40 or so). That he DID possess a body of that of a 40-50 year old man was remarkable... because he was only 33! He possessed such declination, however, because of the sins (sickness/death) of OTHERS that he took into HIS body when healing them. Even so, the account isn't speaking of my Lord and his fles, alone, but of John's and others' VALIDATION of his (Christ's) condition. Ireneaus is saying that the gospels and elder men attested to this about my Lord; however, those who had access to John while he was in Asia heard it directly from him (John), who remained among them up to the time when Trajan ruled as emporer (98 to 117AD). Ireneaus went farther, however, and wrote that some not only saw and heard from from John but saw and heard the same thing from some of the other Apostles as well, and bore testimony that the statement (as to my Lord's flesh, in light of his age) was valid. Finally, as to your comment that:

Clement then includes many writings as “scripture” that did not get final acceptance.

You must understand: it is not up to men to decide what is scripture and what is not. "Scripture" is that which one is given... while such one is IN SPIRIT (in spiritu... in spire... inspired). Such is GIVEN... by Christ, the HOLY Spirit (sometimes directly, sometimes through an angel). AND the one so given... is TOLD TO WRITE IT DOWN. Hence, Moses, the Psalms, the Prophets... and the Revelation. Hence, not ALL scripture is contained in the canon of the modern "Bible"... regardless of the version... for the very reason you mention: certain men did not "accept" it. In the same vein, however, not all that is in the Bible is "scripture" - just because some men DID accept it and decided to include it in the canon does NOT make it scripture. Indeed, MUCH of the Bible writings are histories, records, chronologies... and, in many, instances, uninspired letters (although containing [some] wisdom and truth - even so, doesn't make it scripture). Which is why my Lord said to me THIS truth: "ALL that I tell you IS written... but not all that is WRITTEN is what I will tell you." What did he mean? He meant that everything he says IS written... somewhere (perhaps including the writings of Clement - even so, that doesn't make it scripture, either... unless Clement was IN SPIRIT when he received it, was GIVEN it to write... and then TOLD to write it)... but not necessarily in the Bible... and all that is written... including that which is in the Bible... is NOT necessarily what he would tell me, and so NOT necessarily the TRUTH. How can one know what is... and what isn't... "scripture"? The same way as the disciples did - by listening to HIM (Luke 24:27, 32, 44, 45): " And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself."

" They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?”

" Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures..."

May those with ears hear and get the sense of this truth: one can look but will do so in vain... and hear but will hear in vain... without the leading of the Holy Spirit, the Holy One of Israel, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH. One can read, read, read... and search, search, search... but it will not be "opened" to them by doing so. It is only opened ONE Way: by the One who IS the Way (John 14:6).

May you hear, then, if you so wish... the SPIRIT, that IS the Holy One of Israel... and his Bride... when they say to YOU:

"Come... ALL you who are thirsting... and wishing... TAKE 'life's water'... the holy spirit of God, by means of which these things CAN be opened to you and which is poured out from the innermost parts of HIS Christ...FREE!"

Peace to you all!

Servant to the Household of God, Israel, and ALL those who go with, and a slave of Christ,

SA, who thinks perhaps dear One (peace to you!) should consider a diet change... or regularly sporting Depends... if his current diet causes him to risk "malfunctioning" in his wardrobe. I mean, dude, you might not be able to control the "outcome" (pun intended), but surely you can control the outcome... as to your wardrobe...

None that I know of.

From 144001, a slave of Taco Bell

No wardrobe malfunctions, Shelby . . . I'm warning you, I already ate 3 bean burritos and an order of pintos and cheese! Do I even need to mention the fire sauce?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit