What evidence is there for Jesus (NOT USING THE BIBLE)?

by punkofnice 139 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

Shelby,

To refresh your memory, it was you who, when we first met here, threatened a sort of wardrobe malfunction, and I recall rather clearly that at the time, I advised you of the potential, gaseous consequences to such a malfunction.

Peace, Love, and Freedom of Flatulence!

From

A true slave of Taco Bell

P.S. If you don't like my butt huggers, you are free to buy me suitable alternatives. I like the 2Xist brand . . . but no tightey whiteys, please!

• jgnat
    jgnat

mP, I'm not sure what you are getting at. I contributed the secular evidence of Jesus and early Christianity, complying with the OP's request. I fully agree that the evidence is scant.

Show me evidence of other contemporary cults and sects where the god was crucified.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I love the sound of your house granny... Even if I don't believe in Jesus.

• mouthy
    mouthy

still thinking....Yes my house is not very big, a small apartment,But that GREAT BIG HAND guides ,directs,me all the time,
    Pity you cant believe in him. When I was a JW for over 25 years, I thought he was Micheal. that is what they taught me.
    And being a very stupid person ,& because they all seemed so well versed ,I listened.

I like a lost sheep followed everything they said. NOW!!!! I dont listen to any man!!!!NONE!!!! I know Jesus is taught
    He emptied himself & became man.... But I dont know much about that ALL I know I have a 'hand" angel"teacher"
    I cry out to him many times asking WHY? do you allow such wickedness( all those little kids killed in Newton)
    all I can think of is wheat & weeds growing together.& because he ALLOWS us to use the brain he gave us
    & he didnt make us like ROBOTS! The weeds in MY garden a much stonger to pull up than those beautiful flowers
    I believe the planter of the weeds is doing a real rampage over the earth. BUT!!! I believe that SOOn MY GOD!!!
    will put a stop to it....Yes I am still considered stupid to believe all this by all my grandkids ( the ones that are not
    JWS) & the ones that ARE JWS.Dont know or care what I think, how I am ,alive or dead, they are taught I am
    evil.... Well each to think as he wants. That is a given gift from MY maker.

Rocks sent this way will go towards my rock garden

• AGuest
    AGuest
    To refresh your memory, it was you who, when we first met here, threatened a sort of wardrobe malfunction, and I recall rather clearly that at the time, I advised you of the potential, gaseous consequences to such a malfunction.

Well, now that you mention it... I do recall you saying something about not being able to control your... bowels... or something like that... yes.

Peace, Love, and Freedom of Flatulence!

Indeed. Whatever floats your boat... or fills your chonies!

From 144001 A true slave of Taco Bell

Enchiritos 'til the wheels come off!

P.S. If you don't like my butt huggers, you are free to buy me suitable alternatives. I like the 2Xist brand . . . but no tightey whiteys, please!

Ummm... I have no problem with your butt huggers, luv. Apparently, YOU do. Well, with what's in 'em...

you are free to buy me suitable alternatives.

You're kidding, right? I don't even buy my own husband chonies, luv. And rarely wash them (he's a big boy and so buys/washes his own, as I do mine). I stopped buying/washing my son's when he was 14. He had a job and so I considered him big boy enough to buy... and wash... his own, too.

I like the 2Xist brand . . . but no tightey whiteys, please!

What, your butt not "tight" enough to look good in a pair of those? Well, I would recommend butt squeezes for that, but given your stated issues with... mmmmm... "control" (well, lack thereof) in that "area"... maybe not. Wouldn't want to make it worse for anyone who has to live/sleep/commute/work wit'cha.

Peace!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA, who's feelin' kind of "froggy" tonight, so...

• still thinking
    still thinking

still thinking....Yes my house is not very big, a small apartment,But that GREAT BIG HAND guides ,directs,me all the time,

Your so sweet...I'm glad you have a belief that gives you comfort.

Sorry, no rocks today...

• LV101
    LV101

Wow, Mouthy, sounds like you live in one beautiful paradise with all those beautiful critters.

Your appreciation for the creator is inspiring.

Love/Hugs to you,

LV

<<<<What, your butt not "tight" enough to look good in a pair of those? >>>>

I choose to wear modern attire; given your expression of a preference for the retro look, I take it you're sporting a pair of granny panties?

<<,Well, I would recommend butt squeezes for that, but given your stated issues with... mmmmm... "control" (well, lack thereof) in that "area"... maybe not. Wouldn't want to make it worse for anyone who has to live/sleep/commute/work wit'cha.

"Butt squeezes?" I take my fitness pretty seriously, so I've never had the inclination to watch Richard Simmons. Is his workout giving you results?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It certainly seems as though historical validity is questioned all the time here. Evidence can be cited but the "feel Jesus" people with little Bible or cultural knowledge want to confine Christ to whatever pops into their brains. Despite a passion for historical study of the Bible and church since college, any person can ignore substantial evidence by claiming personal revelation.

I don't expect Jesus or Christ to be the way my imagination paints Jesus. When we studied the gospel accounts during Lent last year, the priest repeated what I repeat often here. With gospel parallels before us, and flow charts, we could not maintain a coherent picture of Jesus. We were raised Christian and in a society with a secularized view of groovy Jesus. It takes much effort to escape our preconceived notions. King of Kings and Zefferelli's Jesus of Nazareth dance in my head.

Jesus spoke of community, not individual revelation. Such revelations were part of the early church (Acts) but they contributed to a larger community. Paul argues that such revelation and speaking in tongues are the least useful gifts of the Spirit b/c they do not build up the community. I suspect that, even in the first century, those claiming revelation were not run of the mill Christians. Rather, they were more likely people with an outsized ego. Today's political pundits just argue on CNN, each one claiming absolute truth. Few contribute any analysis to what professional campaign staff actually face. No, Paul discouraged such folks.

I no longer see Christ as the only one, only the main way in my culture. We tend to linger over the groovy scriptures at the expense of the startling and radical. When you read the gospels, they are so bare boned. The church had to flesh out enough to make a religion. The Roman Catholic Church was not in existence. Most of the early Church fathers and important conferences took place in the Middle East and North Africa. If you say the Church Fathers were in touch with followers of Jesus, it poses which followers. Paul never met Jesus, yet we owe him Christology.

To pretend that there are no questions and revelation is the answer is to show ignorance. It also makes Christ and Christianity less than it can be.

So much of this is class based, it is very sad.

• Ticker
    Ticker

Someone said there were no mention of Jesus in contemporary literature. This is not true. Two Caesars make mention of Jesus and the Christians as well a Roman officials. Tacitus(ad55-120) and Seutonius(ad69-130) two early Roman historians acknowledge Jesus as being a real person. Tacitus even stated that Christus had lived during the reign of Tiberius, suffered under Pontius Pilate, that Jesus teachings had spread to Rome, that Christians were considered criminals and tortured in a variety of ways including crusifixion. There are also Pagan sources such as Thallus, Phlagon, Mara Bar-Serapion, and Lucien of Samosate. Thallus' remarks about Jesus were written a mere twenty years after Jesus. 9 early non-Christian secular writers all mention Jesus as a real person. The exact same number mention Tiberius but no one questions his existence.

There are thousands of early Christian letters, sermons, commentaries, and creeds about Jesus appearing as early as 5 years after his crusifixion. In total there are over 36,000 of such non-Biblical writings, many from the 1st century, that if compiled could reconstruct the new testament minus a few verses. Look at the historical impact alone that Jesus has had.

No academically honest scholor whether Christian, Agnostic, or Atheist would deny the existance of Jesus as a person. Don't be miseld by that claim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit