What evidence is there for Jesus (NOT USING THE BIBLE)?

by punkofnice 139 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tornapart
    tornapart

mp.. now you're talking like you believe he existed ...

As for carrying weapons, they spent a lot of time in wild places complete with wild animals. Jesus told Peter his sword wasn't to be used against another human.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

RE: the golden rule.

Almost every culture had it in one way or another, of course it tended to be more of an "internal" rule rather than one that was universally applied to those outside that culture/civilization and in some cases even, it was only for "equals amongst equals".

It is important to realize that in Jesus' teachings, the "golden rule" was the starting point and not the "end goal".

• Fernando
    Fernando

Love your positive spirit Grace/Mouthy!

Greetings and blessings

Fernando

And something for your garden...

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh Fernando. Thanks for the trees,I will plant them when the snow goes Fernando
    I prefer them to the rocks I get. LOL

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Mouthy,

Trees and snow go together very nicely. Just like Jesus and love go together nicely. Maybe I don't believe in Jesus as a literal person, but I believe in the positive messages of love, tolerance, and nonjudgmentalism that are credited to him. Although I don't believe in God as presented in the Bible, I believe in Jesus' warning that dictatorial laws, organized hierarchical religion, and self-righteousness direct a person away from godliness and goodness.

So Mouthy dear, don't think that any of the flying rocks are directed at you. They're for the "Christians" (like JWs, Westboro Baptist, and those gun-toting American flag-waving fundies) that spew hate, intolerance, oppression, etc. in the name of THEIR Jesus. They claim salvation because they believe in a literal Jesus and believe their 'organization' has a monopoly on heaven. If Jesus were here, we know what he'd say about those troublemakers, "get away from me you workers of lawlessness."

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh I cant dig the snow to plant them Billy OLD AGE.

I dont believe in religion....at all. I am spiritual.Glad your an EX Bethelite

By the way were you there when I was picketing with a bus load???????

• mP
    mP

tornapart:

mp.. now you're talking like you believe he existed ...

mP:

Im just trying to highlight that pretending Jesus was good or some advanced form of kindness and goodness is well plain out lying. I know your comment was in jest, but some might not get it.

tornapart:

As for carrying weapons, they spent a lot of time in wild places complete with wild animals. Jesus told Peter his sword wasn't to be used against another human.

mP:

Peters sword in Gethsemane story, was not out in the bush it was just outside of Jerusalem. Even today in crazy gunloving america, im sure hunters dont take their hunting gun to the shops when they buy some milk. What kind of example was Peter demonstrating ? Not a very good one.

If you look at the environment about Jerusalem, it is mostly desert like, hardly the place of lions and other vicious animals. That argument is nonsense.

• mP
    mP

PSac:

It is important to realize that in Jesus' teachings, the "golden rule" was the starting point and not the "end goal".

Mp:

The start of what ? He was not the first with the idea, we can find the same idea in Lev check a previuos post of mine in this thread for the scripture. If you honestly examine all Jesus teachings will see his lack of vision and concerns about slavery, women equality, and other troublesome teachings easily cancel out this one line.

• mP
    mP

Billy:

Maybe I don't believe in Jesus as a literal person, but I believe in the positive messages of love, tolerance, and nonjudgmentalism that are credited to him.

mP:

Thats utterly dishonest. A guy says one or two lnes about loving your neighbour and thats makes them a great moral teacher ? How do you explain Jesus refusal and repeated demands that he only came for the jews ? Isnt that exclusiveness racism ? How do you explain his utter blindness at the cruelties of slavery, and instead of encouraging freedom he tells slaves to shutup and be good to their masters on multiple occassions. Jesus was not good, he was a man of his time, who repeated ideas that were not unique and if we repeated them today we would be criminals.

The major problem you fail to recognise is Jesus only meant that golden rule applied to fellow jews. In Pauls writings his own apostles wouldnt eat with gentiles. How can you love your (all) neighbour(s) if you wont eat with them. Its obvious from this and examining the text it meant you must only your fellow jews.

If you want scriptures wehere Jesus goodness fails feel free to ask, but dont assign or place him on a pedestal when he doesnt deserve it.

For example Hitler was a monster, but he had some good ideas, like banning smoking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_ban

The first modern attempt at restricting smoking was imposed by the then German government in every university, post office, military hospital, and Nazi Party office, under the auspices of Karl Astel's Institute for Tobacco Hazards Research, created in 1941 under orders from Adolf Hitler . [29] Major anti-tobacco campaigns were widely broadcast by the Nazis until the demise of the regime in 1945. [30]

We can pretend Hitler was nice and great because of this , but we all know the truth and that overall he fails any examination. Jesus may not have had political power, but he was morally bankrupt and not an example anyone would want to emulate or have repeated in our own homelands.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    What evidence is there for Jesus (NOT USING THE BIBLE)?

So far nothing of abiding substance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit