Mental health crisis in America-

by moshe 67 Replies latest social current

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A few years ago there was this young girl who was accepted into my dayghter's Girl Scout troop. I couldn't stand this girl, she had a smart mouth, a negative attitude, was very disrespectful at times (but for some reason not to me), and everything had to be about her. I thought she was just a spoiled brat until I met her mother on a camping weekend. I found that I liked the girl's mother. We talked a lot that weekend and the mother told me that her daughter had some kind of personality disorder and her son also had some kind of personality disorder. She was moving her family to Michigan to be closer to her extended family because the kids were getting bigger and harder to control. She opened my eyes as to what was really going on with her daughter and I found myself having a bit of empathy for their situation.

I don't make connection that easily and it may sound selfish but I wish she didn't have to move. I think we could have developed a friendship.

• Simon
    Simon

I think one big issue which contributes to the issue and is apparent given a lot of the comments some have posted is ...

Americans seems to be very fearful and paranoid.

It comes across in the reasoning for having a gun, foreign policy opinion, even how cars are designed (doors need to auto-lock).

I think this constant drip-feed of fear coupled with a selfish / entitlement attitude in society contributes to the problem.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Fact: At least fourteen recent school shootings were committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs resulting in 109 wounded and 58 killed (in other school shootings, information about their drug use was never made public—neither confirming or refuting if they were under the influence of prescribed drugs.)

http://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/

http://www.cchrint.org/2012/07/20/the-aurora-colorado-tragedy-another-senseless-shooting-another-psychotropic-drug/

http://www.cchrint.org/2012/07/24/the-huffington-post-drug-companies-drive-the-psychiatric-drugging-of-children/

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Thanks for sharing this article Moshe. Lack of care for the mentally ill is a huge problem even in Ontario where we have health costs covered. Many facilities that were available in the past are no longer open so many are left living on the streets without any kind of monitoring or treatment. Many times a mentally ill person will go off medication due to side effects or the mistaken idea that they are 'cured' and don't need them any more. Others fall through the cracks in the health care system until something horrific happens. Leslie

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Mrs. Jones: A few years ago there was this young girl who was accepted into my dayghter's Girl Scout troop. I couldn't stand this girl, she had a smart mouth, a negative attitude, was very disrespectful at times (but for some reason not to me), and everything had to be about her. I thought she was just a spoiled brat until I met her mother on a camping weekend.

Mrs Jones, that was what my daughter was like. She would say ridiculous things, I know her teachers thought she was just spoiled and exaggerating things. The reality of her diagnosis was that she was living that crazy reality. If she said she wanted to die, she did, at least in that moment, It was not an exaggeration. Her outbursts of rage made it impossible for her to function or act normally, or see things in a balanced way. It is very much black or white thinking, you were either her best friend or her worst enemy, no middle ground for her, That is the nature of Borderline Personality Disorder. I absolutely could not react with any emotion, no matter what she said as that would just inflame the situation and make her worse. This was not easy to do. Once, she had a meltdown at school and it took me an hour to convince them that I was not abusing her, they called the police. I also got reported once because I refused to send her to another mental hospital after a suicide attempt. Her therapist, and the county agreed it wasn't needed, and in fact would hurt her, but the witch who did the evaluation said she had to go to the mental hospital, but since she worked for the mental hospital, I think she was biased. I took my daughter out of the emergency room and went home. They sent a cop out, he saw she was fine and did nothing, but this witch from the hospital called CPS (child protective services). They called and I got it straightened out. These are the things you go through if you have a mentally ill child.

I think a lot of teens and young adults have this butt go undiagnosed, they often end up on drugs or promiscuous, or a suicide. I know many teens are cutters (cut themselves with razors) these days, and that could be a sign of BPD. I read somewhere that the shooter had a personality disorder, but they didn't say which one.

• d
    d

The issue of mental illness needs to be addressed in this country.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Lisa Rose, you have my complete sympathy. It is hard as a parent to deal with a mentally ill child. My son was in his mid teens when things went awry. He was diagnosed as schizophrenic. The second time he was put in the institution he had to be committed as he was having homicidal thoughts towards perfect strangers. It is heart breaking to watch our children go through this and feel helpless in our ability to help them. Leslie

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

WE have a mental health crisis in Canada, too, but at least many people here get coverage for services. I personally don't, so I know what it's like to weigh your health plan dollars and not be able to get the services you need. What do you do and where do you turn to when your child is mentally ill and struggling?

Even when services are covered...one of my daughters was going through a real bad time a few years ago. We called mobile mental health. I was stunned by their response. They arrived with two big burly cops because they had to protect their workers just in case my daughter got violent. Anything my daughter said that might be interpreted as aggressive (um...yeah, mental illness does that)...they would bascially blame her and be extremely rude and critical. It was all about protecting the workers, and had nothing to do with helping the individual who was sick. As a provisional psychologist, I could not believe what I was seeing - it was the most harmful thing possible towards someone who was mentally ill. The stigma around mental health even permeates the workers, who should know better. So even when services are available, they can be demeaning and unhelpful.

Yes, the only people who shoot up a classroom of beautiful little children are mentally ill. But where do you begin treating them? Workers need educating, the public needs educating, attitudes must change.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I think one big issue which contributes to the issue and is apparent given a lot of the comments some have posted is ...

Americans seems to be very fearful and paranoid.

It comes across in the reasoning for having a gun, foreign policy opinion, even how cars are designed (doors need to auto-lock).

I think this constant drip-feed of fear coupled with a selfish / entitlement attitude in society contributes to the problem.

You got that right. Some of these people around here are nuts. They worry about one part per trillion of pesticide on an apple, some bogeyman out to get them around every corner, and need to have a warning label telling about every possible danger. The fear is way out of proportion to actual risk. These fsckers have even gotten lawn darts banned! A lot of this is driven by that other pox on America, the lawyers, who are eager to sue the wealth away from anyone remotely connected to some muttonhead screwing something up.

And then there are the religious nutters....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Kids can live in healthy, happy homes with loving parents and still be this kind of mentally ill. I know some.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit