Mental health crisis in America-

by moshe 67 Replies latest social current

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The food we eat is toxic. We are what we eat. That is a very simple way of putting things, but our US government allows our food supply to have GMOs and all kinds of toxic chemicals in it.

Sweden has all kinds of "entitlements" and they do not have the scope of mental health issues we have here.

• l p
    l p

As the original post said from mum Mrs Long, that her son had been on all sorts of antipsychotics but they dont seem to work......schitzophrenia is often resistant to antipsychotics...in fact a pshychiatrist may consider this in deciphering whether someones psychosis is of a schitzophrenic origin.

Easy for me to say but she needs to not give up. The child should stay under the care of mental health professionals and really should be admitted assessment and treatment.

And for that fact any child that is having a melt down ( on an extended background of melt downs, depression, suicidal, identified mental health issues) should be hospitalised particularly if suicidal. For a parent to refuse to allow this is putting the child at risk and in Australia Community Services are to be notified that the child is "at risk of harm due to medical neglect". Being a healthcare worker i support this as if there is a risk that the child/young person could hurt themselves or another person they need to be admitted and treatment sorted out.

Lp

• glenster
    glenster

Despite public or media opinion, national studies have indicated that severe
    mental illness does not independently predict future violent behavior, on
    average, and is not a leading cause of violence in society. There is a statis-
    tical association with various factors that do relate to violence (in anyone),
    such as substance abuse and various personal, social and economic factors.

In fact, findings consistently indicate that it is many times more likely that
    people diagnosed with a serious mental illness living in the community will be
    the victims rather than the perpetrators of violence. In a study of individuals
    diagnosed with "severe mental illness" living in a US inner-city area, a quarter
    were found to have been victims of at least one violent crime over the course of
    a year, a proportion eleven times higher than the inner-city average, and higher
    in every category of crime including violent assaults and theft. People with a
    diagnosis may find it more difficult to secure prosecutions, however, due in
    part to prejudice and being seen as less credible.

However, there are some specific diagnoses, such as childhood conduct disorder
    or adult antisocial personality disorder or psychopathy, which are defined by,
    or are inherently associated with, conduct problems and violence. There are con-
    flicting findings about the extent to which certain specific symptoms, notably
    some kinds of psychosis (hallucinations or delusions) that can occur in dis-
    orders such as schizophrenia, delusional disorder or mood disorder, are linked
    to an increased risk of serious violence on average. The mediating factors of
    violent acts, however, are most consistently found to be mainly socio-demograph-
    ic and socio-economic factors such as being young, male, of lower socioeconomic
    status and, in particular, substance abuse (including alcoholism) to which some
    people may be particularly vulnerable.

High-profile cases have led to fears that serious crimes, such as homicide,
    have increased due to deinstitutionalization, but the evidence does not support
    this conclusion. Violence that does occur in relation to mental disorder
    (against the mentally ill or by the mentally ill) typically occurs in the
    context of complex social interactions, often in a family setting rather than
    between strangers. It is also an issue in health care settings and the wider
    community.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder#Perception_and_discrimination

• zeb
    zeb

where are the fathers?

whats on tv?

what is in the water (seriously)

what is in the food.

Suggest a chiropractor his back could be out to hell and causing him hell ( I speak from experience here)

all my love and regards to you as one who has seen this too.

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

Interesting perspectives on this problem. It is a huge problem in the country and really in the whole world. Yeah, here in America we are paranoid and overly concerned with properties and possesions. You feel crazy now just thinking about all the mentally ill people out there. In the regards of mentally ill.....what really characterizes a person as it? In this last tragedy, this guy killed children and adults. You have criminals who have done the same, though it may not have been in the same degree of execution. Those criminals rarely ever...are associated with being mentally ill. We just try to label the ones who do the mass killings, and It's shocking to me in where those mass killings have happened. In the "thought to be" safe areas in America. The small middle class towns. Not in the Big cities and in the areas of the gang and drug infested neighborhoods. Though these areas all have many killings and crimes against the innocent. I think people who put others at harm along with themselves are ill. You could say a drunk driver is ill....by putting himself at risk in causing a accident, which could ultimately kill. We are aware of the big crimes and lose sight of the smaller ones sometimes. Just thinking about how people's children should be protected from predators outside of school? When you've had soooo many predators and mentally ill INSIDE of these institutes! All in all.....Our system is screwed. It takes MONEY in the system to pay for Mental healthcare. We've already had a problem in the country with healthcare before these last incidents and we will continue to have them. I don't know how the Government will come up with the money without increasing taxes and cutting more budgets. With the lack of employment already and employers trying to cut back......it doesn't look good. Seems like some people in the high ups will need to cut their checks.

• l p
  • l p
  • l p
    l p

schitzophrenia and increased risk of violence

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=183929

this i would believe more than what i would read on wikipedia

confidence intervals are good

• glenster
    glenster

"this i would believe more than what i would read on wikipedia"

I wouldn't:

"Second, there is considerable uncertainty whether schizophrenia without
    substance abuse comorbidity is actually associated with violence. Large
    prospective and case-control studies have found no or only a weak association."
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=183929

Individuals with severe mental illness including schizophrenia are at a
    significantly greater risk of being victims of both violent and non-violent
    crime. On the other hand, schizophrenia has sometimes been associated with a
    higher rate of violent acts, although this is primarily due to higher rates of
    drug use. Rates of homicide linked to psychosis are similar to those linked to
    substance misuse, and parallel the overall rate in a region. What role schizo-
    phrenia has on violence independent of drug misuse is controversial, but certain
    aspects of individual histories or mental states may be factors.

Media coverage relating to schizophrenia tends to revolve around rare but
    unusual acts of violence. Furthermore, in a large, representative sample from a
    1999 study, 12.8% of Americans believed that individuals with schizophrenia were
    "very likely" to do something violent against others, and 48.1% said that they
    were "somewhat likely" to. Over 74% said that people with schizophrenia were
    either "not very able" or "not able at all" to make decisions concerning their
    treatment, and 70.2% said the same of money management decisions. The perception
    of individuals with psychosis as violent has more than doubled in prevalence
    since the 1950s, according to one meta-analysis.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia#Violence
    Footnote 132
    http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1000120

• wasblind
    wasblind

"They told me I could wear these," he insisted. "You're a stupid bitch. I can wear whatever pants I want to. This is America. I have rights!"

In America Kids rule the parents Now . But that's a whole thread to it's self. A heated one at that

Most of you already know where I stand

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit