Mental health crisis in America-

by moshe 67 Replies latest social current

• jgnat
    jgnat

Simon, maybe Canadians just hide them better.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I don't mean this how it sounds ... but why are so many Americans 'nuts'? Could the belief systems have something to do with the mental health problems?

America is a big place with a huge, huge population. With the modern age comes modern problems. People who are vulnerable to mental health problems, if you couple the pre-disposition with the stresses of modern living, you get people with full blown psychiatric problems. I'd be interested to see comparisons of statistics between the UK and the US and other modernized countries and the US. I'm doubting there is going to a significant difference in mental illness rates. You will find that the US is pitifully lacking when it comes to good, affordable mental health care. People with insurance find it hard to get good mental health care. Everything seems to be focused on physical health.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We don't have good mental health statistics here in Canada, which I think is a crying shame. The focus is on physical health here, too. Family doctors, because they are covered by health care, monitor a fair number of psychiatric patients.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Bipolar Disorder world map

WorldMapBipolar

Schizophrenia

WorldMapSchizophrenia

It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, Jgnat. I wonder if those maps can be accurate for non English speaking countries and 3rd World countries. Do people even go in for care in those countries?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The more pale the yellow on those maps, the fewer cases of Bi-polar and Schizophrenia.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd like to know what Australia is doing right.

I picked these two disorders because they are pretty darn visible. They are produced from statistics provided by the WHO.

• Hortensia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit