A thought experiment about what it means "to be" GOD

by Terry 143 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

No, I'd like to hear an answer to my question to you about your statements. Can you answer it?

• prologos
    prologos

twitch of Manitoba: yes: the RESULTS of that visual - aid- thought experiment will vary. but the " a to f" steps were about the PROCESS the "to be" of God. my opening quotes were to establish that "to be" is to think. Have you done the folding into the xyz axis and time? And of course with forethought, that a creator obviously would have, you could come up with a super origamy.

Cyber Jesus: I am an 82 year old creationist with a 9 month old daughter*. and let me assure you there is a cause to every effect. What will I tell my daughter about the " making out of nothing question?

" look at the word: NO-THING. nothing. ENERGY is no thing it is a force,a latent power, even a potential. but it can be made into some-THING.

Run the expanding universe and the matter that it contains backward into the singularity and you have to have energy when that material diappears again.

I believe that energy was the property of a creator.

Obviously I expect my daughter to be intelligent (like most ladies) and enlightened, and with you'alls help we will be even able to ask even better questions when she starts to express reason.

peace. * details have been changed to protect the innocent.,

• Terry
    Terry

I think the question is WHY did God start the creative process.

So, for all that effort we end up with the topic of a different thread than this one!!

• Terry
    Terry

I think I just have to give up.

It breaks my heart to see words used like this; all willy nilly.

I use to give my Physics professor fits because I wouldn't let him off the hook with the definitions of FORCE and ENERGY.

They are all fluff.

For ACTUALLY existing things we need a separate vocabulary or at least strict rules of expression.

For POTENTIALLY existing things that same vocabulary becomes all metaphor and poetry which screws up communication!!

And I'm still smarting on how you guys fiddle about with the word TIME.

TIME is not a thing. Time does not have existence. Time is an artificial construct. It is a method of measuring.

But, I'm done!

Jeez Louise....I just can't continue this topic. I'll leave it to whomever wants to contine. I'm going to lie down.....

• prologos
    prologos

Terry, we apreciate your good guidance into these abstract subjects. But not everybody operates at your level of refined expertise, and might therefore speak to a larger audience than you. Can you understand that simpler minds would latch onto something more concrete when discussing in the abstract only what it would mean "to be" God?,--- could there be meaning without TIME to "be" in?.

You write " Time has no existence" --- I have in front of me here Einsteins equation No.3 from his 1905 paper in the Annalen der Physik Volume 17.("On the Electrodynamics of moving Bodies") The equation on the left side shows "TIME moving"= right side TIME rest/ square root of 1-v2/c2 squared.

Where do you get the assertion that time has no existence when it is, like this equation shows, an indispensible entity in the fabric of spacetime, our existence?

perhaps our lack of language refinement needs improvement, but that does not make our thoughts what gets flushed down the toilet.

As with all profound discussions like this, writers have their opinion and tend to not really attentively read and absorb the toughts expressed. But it is great to have found a community that openly tackels the subjects, even giving voice to dilletants like me. Spupid ideas might prod good teachers to see how to get things straight. have peace.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Time is a measurement of motion; it describes the arrival of one object at one destination in relation to the arrival of another object at another destination (the second hand of a clock hitting 12 as a train pulls into the station). Time is the length of the path of an electron around a nucleus. Time is a probability eliminator. Time is a separate dimension from the three physical dimensions of space. Time does not exist. Time is the 'y' coordinate. Time is the limitation in spatial omnipresence of an object. Time is what stops everything from happening at once.

If time (or space-time) was created by God as the fabric of our universe, it is irrelevant to try to connect the principles of time and God. God would exist outside of time and still does. Can we retire that stupid question about God "finding the time" and move onto the corker of all pseudo-intellectual party-trick questions, "Can God create a rock that is too heavy for Him to lift?"

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

look at the word: NO-THING. nothing. ENERGY is no thing it is a force

That is incorrect. Energy and matter are the same thing.

Can we retire that stupid question about God "finding the time"

Not until people that claim God exists outside of time can answer it. If there was no time before god created it, when did he find the time to do any creating?

• Terry
    Terry

Ha, I tried to get out...but, they kept pulling me back!!

You write " Time has no existence" --- I have in front of me here Einsteins equation No.3 from his 1905 paper in the Annalen der Physik Volume 17.("On the Electrodynamics of moving Bodies") The equation on the left side shows "TIME moving"= right side TIME rest/ square root of 1-v2/c2 squared.

Where do you get the assertion that time has no existence when it is, like this equation shows, an indispensible entity in the fabric of spacetime, our existence?

I would take your last sentence and slightly alter it to read:

Where do you get the assertion that time has no existence when it is, like this equation shows, an indespensible CONSTRUCT for COMPUTING.........

The ancients had no ZERO in their adding and subtracting, etc. The computation of higher numbers was virtually impossible without a place holder.

Once ZERO became an acceptable CONSTRUCT the values could be shifted easily from 1's to 10's to 100's to 1000's, etc.

Zero is a way of solving problems and keeping track. The 0 is a symbol which appears to grant beingness of existence to Zero--but, don't let that tamper with your mind!

Walt Disney drew a mouse and called him MICKEY and earned millions of dollars.

That mouse has the same kind of beingness that Zero has.

TIME is like the zero and like Mickey Mouse.

• designs
    designs

If you began dividing the time you took to nap in half and half and half again and again how long was your nap...the godnap.

• Terry
    Terry

If you began dividing the time you took to nap in half and half and half again and again how long was your nap...the godnap.

Next time I encounter Achilles and the tortoise I'll ask!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit