A thought experiment about what it means "to be" GOD

by Terry 143 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thanks for that explanation prologos.

I am keen to understand better, and feel you have brought me one step closer.

I notice it is a very complex subject and may not be able to devote as much time as I would like - since being primarily focussed on the "unabridged gospel" and its manifold applications such as in "transpersonal Psychology".

• prologos
    prologos

entirely possible: you equated or linked the expansion of space to the expansion of time. then: is time getting bigger? were the seconds after the big bang or the inflation period shorter than they are now?--( I am trying to learn) fernando:

There are these fantasies about going back in time and killing ones grandmother. like going down the up escalator until you catch up er down with her.

really (I think) the past is gone for good once we have moved through the present into the future. A RECORD of our past exists in the message, picture, sound we have sent into the future and it will will be received by observers later, but out of the past. This is so because we all move through time. Our past does not exist anymore, but the message, light-fossil, you might say, travels at c into the future to be seen later by far-away observers. Think of the balloon expanding through time, the light beam being a tangent going at c (0 travel through time) into the future, but always being inside the balloon skin because it ( the membrane) travels radially through time, the light beam does not. the message could be received by an observer 300 000 km away, who had travelled through time (the radius) for 1 second since the light beam started. the light beam tangent moved through space but not through time. use a pencil and paper. please.

You can not kill your dead grandmother, because only an image of her exists somewhere on a light beam. The ballooon in the 2 space dimension model is empty on the inside. except for the time dimension through wich everything has travelled since the appearance of space and its energy/mass content in the big bang.

We hope that there is time in the future, we want to keep moving into it. --we are glad there was time in the past, because we were there. Time must have been before the universe, before us.

How much time is there in the future? for space to expand into? How much time is there in the past? before space started moving through it? I believe according to this model that time always was and always will be.

IF there is a creator, god that is separate from the talking snake, spare-rib cloned female fable, it would MEAN that he was in that time.this picture is certainly incomplete, but it answers some questions right.

• prologos
    prologos

terry, you said: if time were real it would move in more than one directions --- it does not. ----well:

Time must be real because we can really measure that we really move THROUGH it.

We move in one direction, because we are imbedded in 3D space that moves through time since the expansion through time began in/at the Big bang.

If the energy* could be sucked out of the universe, it would contract, moving back in time. but it would not be like running a film backward, for the past is gone, only the messages, pictures, fossils of the past you might call them, are still traveling through space. Our future now, at the present, looks cooler, the future in a shrinking universe would look warmer. it would become more cramped. in a shrinking universe we would be travelling the other way, but clocks would still advance (in the model of the expanding/deflating balloon.)

The big crunch would be at/in the same place in stationary time where the Big Bang was.

it would MEAN that the Creator (if any) does not move through time # and would receive a big return of energy in the BIG CRUNCH.

* Jas. 1:17

# Isaiah 40:26 bible references only to cite precedent without endorsing the rest of the talking snake, flooded everest tale.

• Terry
    Terry

Let me approach from an odd angle here...

Is "distance" real?

That question puts an incredible amount of pressure on our definition of the word real.

What do we mean when we drive a nail through that label and permanently fix it to our brain wall?

REAL?

There are two major jurisdictions we call REAL and UNreal. But-importantly-we use the exact same vocabulary words to describe BOTH!

Ever heard of the phrase "conflict of interest"? The words we use to describe are the same words we use to think,analyze,weigh and decide.

No matter how clever we are that conflict skews and distorts the possibly clear path we take into a muddle of thorns and thistles.

You know what happens when we start to lose our way?

We fall back on.......(drumroll please...)

We fall back on the next best thing...societal memes...innate desires...group opinions...traditional thinking...

Our oldest ideas come from ignorant times and people. And those who got here before us built a very high wall of primitive notions, indeed.

The Subject Topic is about MEANING. What it MEANS to BE God.

God is where we choose to build the tallest structure ever constructed: meaning itself. But, we use those same words the primitives have staked out and firmly

entrenched and protected with the barbed wire of "common knowledge" and profound emotional need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit