Minimus' Post Gave Me Courage To Finally Post My Questions, New Here

by toweragent 88 Replies latest jw experiences

• tec
    tec

Welcome Toweragent.

I can't keep living a lie. I want to do what God (Jehovah?) expects of me. But I don't know what to do! Where do I turn?

I just wanted to state (and someone else might have already) Peter did not ask where else he could turn... but rather to whom else could he turn.

To Christ.

You do not need an organization to mediate between you and God. That is why God sent us His Son. (one mediator between man and God: Christ)

Look to Christ to know what God wants, because what Christ wants is the same as what God wants. Christ is the Truth and Image of God. Not any organization.

You also don't have to accept the doctrines of mainstream christianity just because you leave the WTS. (even if you leave only in your heart, at least for now) There are many who do not, including me. You could just listen to and follow Christ... and I think that you already know that love for God and others (friend and foe) is at the basis of His teachings.

You don't have to know everything (I don't think anyone does). Just start by listening to Him. Quiet, calm... letting Him lead you.

I also agree with the others in that you don't have to panic or make rash decisions. Others can help you with advice on how to help your wife, because they have that experience.

Peace and love to you and yours,

tammy

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome toweragent

It was a very good post right from the heart I beleive .I couldn`t offer you any better suggestions than what`s already been said here,just to reiterate ,take it slowly,tread cautiously,and keep researching..

smiddy

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

welcome

i was apologist for near 12 years before i came here and i freaked out when i did!

but for me, the kicker was 1919. either jesus chose them in 1919 or he didnt. their proof didnt add up...and they just admitted in a round about way with the change of the GB to be the FDS.

hang on coz its gunna be a bumpy ride!

oz

• goldensky
    goldensky

Oh, dear toweragent! What a beautiful first post! And so articulate! It took you a long time to join us (ha, ha!), but the wait was worth it. I enjoyed each and every word of it. And I can fully symphatize with your feelings... At the age of 46, after having been the hardest core (if that word exists in English) Witness you can get (since the age of 3), and loving every minute of it, inexplicably doubts began to creep up through the mountains of indoctrination. In the course of the next two years, I prayed to Jehovah non-stop pleading him to dissipate my ever growing doubts. I continued faithfully attending meetings and going out in service, doing my best to be a valuable member of my beloved congregation, trying to cling on to my precious hope, but my doubts just kept gaining magnitude to the point where most of the main doctrines crumbled down... and I faded away overnight, leaving behind the only world I had ever known, all my dear, dear friends and the warmth of the organization. But do you know what? I had expected to feel very lonely in the cold world outside, yet I was amazed at what I soon discovered: a whole new world full of wonderful people and the exhilarating feeling of beeing free to think, question and research. And that's what I've devoted myself to these last three years since my awakening, and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. I've come a long way since then. Knowledge makes you free.

You've already taken the first step by allowing your mind to open up to new possibilities. Take it easy, don't rush. Time is extremely powerful, and, in my opinion, what you need at the moment to clarify your doubts. A couple of years from now, if you continue doing your research, you may well laugh lovingly at yourself over your current feelings of agitation. You are on the road to feeling better than you ever felt within the congregation, take it from me.

I wish you all the best and look forward to reading more posts from you. Welcome with all my heart!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Thanks for sharing your experience - it must have taken some courage to openly express your doubts and questions.

As to whether Jehovah is guiding the wtbts, I wondered about that too when I faded. I visited other churches, looked into other religions for comparison, and I realized that all religion is pretty much the same. They aren't enough different to stand out as something pure and true. In fact, I've found out since then they lie quite a bit.

I also looked into science, finally without blinkers. The thing about scientific information is that scientists have to show why the come to a certain conclusion. You can actually look into their research yourself and see if you come to the same conclusion. Also they are subject to peer review and to competing research that will try to replicate or disprove their conclusions. In the long run, you can trust science more than religion because scientists have to back up their claims with some evidence.

Religions just rely on claims of faith and inspiration, and guilt people into believing that questioning anything is wrong.

My final thought -- if you love your wife, then just keep loving her. Don't challenge her, but let her share her thoughts with you. Listen more than talk is very good advice. If she ever questions the wtbts, validate her by encouraging her to do research and ask questions.

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

Welcome, I too am a newbie of sorts. Won't give u any advice, looks like plenty has already been given... I'm in much the same boat as u.

just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

• minimus
    minimus

Tower, I am happy that you are here. It took me years to finally get out but it can be done even if you lose a lot of people close to you. Just hang in there

• 00DAD
    00DAD

TowerAgent: My problem is, I so badly WANT to believe that the Watchtower is right. I want them to be used by Jehovah. But the problem is...I don't think they are right...and I don't think Jehovah is using them.

Welcome!

I understand your dilemma. Wanting something to be true and it actually being true are two very different things. At some point, most of us here have had to face that fact.

It's a process, losing your religion. But ultimately, hanging on to a bunch of lies based on wishful thinking is not mentally healthy. Look at what it does to those that remain in as evidence of that.

I look forward to more of your posts!

00DAD

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

John 13:35 is such a great scripture.

You might ask your wife, "If you polled 10,000 people what's the first thing they would say to describe Jehovah's Witnesses?"

"What percentage would actually say that those people (JWs) really love one another?"

I bet it would be less than 1%, if any actually said that.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

WELCOME Toweragent.

Remember "carefully examining" is more "Noble minded"....check "the fruits" for confirmation and then "get out of her".

Take it slowly and keep your lips sealed. Simply ask questions around your wife. "frankly I am puzzled....? " humm"... type stuff.

Glad you have figured this out at 24, not 54. KUDOS!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit