Minimus' Post Gave Me Courage To Finally Post My Questions, New Here

by toweragent 88 Replies latest jw experiences

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Welcome to the board!

Our situations are very similar. Please don't do like I did and bombard your wife with info about how the WT is wrong! It's useless.

As far as the issues you listed... You'll just have to do the research and decide for yourself! It's diddicult to learn how to read the bible objectively, without WT blinders on. Once you learn to do this, it's amazing to realize how JWs are unable to understand the scriptures! Sit at the meeting during the bible highlights... And the silly comments that come forth... It's crazy.

Your story is a good example of how the mind control can be tough to break. You almost did it years ago and it really bothered you, but it didn't quite take. If you haven't researched cult mind control and cognitive dissonance, please do.

I know what you mean about wanting the WT to be right.. The cost of leaving is so great.

feel free to PM me anytime

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Welcome to the board!

Our situations are very similar. Please don't do like I did and bombard your wife with info about how the WT is wrong! It's useless.

As far as the issues you listed... You'll just have to do the research and decide for yourself! It's diddicult to learn how to read the bible objectively, without WT blinders on. Once you learn to do this, it's amazing to realize how JWs are unable to understand the scriptures! Sit at the meeting during the bible highlights... And the silly comments that come forth... It's crazy.

Your story is a good example of how the mind control can be tough to break. You almost did it years ago and it really bothered you, but it didn't quite take. If you haven't researched cult mind control and cognitive dissonance, please do.

I know what you mean about wanting the WT to be right.. The cost of leaving is so great.

feel free to PM me anytime

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Welcome toweragent!

Let me get to it:

You ask: "How can I be SURE that the Watchtower organization is NOT being used by Jehovah? How can I be sure that they just haven't gone astray like the apostate nation of Israel?"

It is NOT your job to prove that the Watchtower is not used by Jehovah. It is the Watchtower's job to PROVE that it is used by Jehovah. (and so far they have failed repeadetly and miserably in doing so).

If it doesn't make sense at first, read it again and again until you understand that one of the easiest tricks the WT pulls is the shift of the burden of proof.

As sir82 mentiones above, if they have not DEMONSTRATED to you that they have the true sign of christianity - love, there is nothing more required of you. You do not have to prove to them that they are not loving.

EDIT: Also, think carefully about all things you "know" about Jehovah's Witnesses - their unity, their true love for one another, their pure bible teachings, their neutrality and separation from the world, etc....in other words all signs and things that make JWs unique.

Think about all of them and try to remember did YOU come to all of the above conclusions, or did the JWs kept repeating them ad nauseum, unitl the assertions became second nature to you and infact your own beliefs.

This is important, as it outlines a basic and wildly effective propaganda technique.

All the best with waking up your wife!

-Yan

• perfect1
    perfect1

Hello, welcome. Congratulations on the great deal of courage you have shown to post here.

There is no rush, you have a lot to learn and come to conclusions about. It can be very freeing to simply say, I DONT KNOW.

Many people here can address all of your scriptural questions, not me, but I wish you well..

Leaving this group takes time, you are young, try to become completely independent.

• toweragent
    toweragent

Hey I wanna thank everyone who took the time to read and post something. I haven't had time to read through the comments but I will tonight when I get home from work. I didn't expect much response. Thank you guys. And thank you Minimus.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi toweragent. Welcome to out nightmare.

I asked someone what Jehovah would have to do, or not do, to convince her that he does not support the WT leaders? So far, he has demonstrated consistent non-support for the leadership by not fulfilling any prediction they ever made (quoting letdowns in her lifetime), even though it makes their god and followers look like asses and results in church members taking the scriptural advice at Deuteronomy 18:20-22 and leaving, at which point, their friends and families turn nasty and trash their relationships.

How would you answer?

... and don't be in a hurry to buy an Apostate hat. That shop doesn't give refunds.

Cheers

Chris

• Ding
    Ding

With regard to waking up your wife, here are some things I've learned after years of doing things poorly:

1. Proceed slowly.

2. Questions work better than statements. I don't mean leading or sarcastic questions. Be "puzzled," "confused," etc. by things the WT says rather than just saying outright that they are wrong about something.

3. Don't assume that something that's a big deal to you will impact her at all. Many of us have presented what we consider irrefutable proof of some point to a JW only to have them say, in effect, "Yeah, so what?"

4. The other side of the coin is... don't assume that something you find insignificant will seem insignificant to her. JWN is filled with accounts of a number of JWs who left the organization over things that wouldn't have affected me at all.

5. If your wife ever expresses doubt about some aspect of the religion, don't automatically weigh in with your opinion. Better to give her a safe place for her to give her opinions. You seeing something isn't the key... SHE has to see it for herself.

6. Something that ties all these points together is: Listen far more than you talk.

• Scott77
    Scott77

marked

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

@ toweragent

I agree with another poster. Dont stress. Dont fret. Take your time. During my awakening, the thing I have regreted most is getting too frustrated, angry or depressed. Try to see a licensed therapist so you can talk it out. Also, remind yourself that YOU CAN LEAVE. It is your decision. Even though the consequences may to BIG, tell yourself that you have the choice to leave.

Oh and DONT ever argue or pressure your wife. Just drop very small hints or share publication quotes.

• flipper
    flipper

TOWERAGENT- Welcome to freedom of mind. Lots of great suggestions here for you which I agree with. Be calm, don't worry- you'll figure things out. Just keep doing research OUTSIDE the WT organization and check out information that will assist you to have a broad spectrum of life, not just religious, not just tunnel vision. Open your options and you'll really see the world for what it is- not what you are being TOLD it is. Hang in there, we are here to support you friend. Peace out, mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit