Minimus' Post Gave Me Courage To Finally Post My Questions, New Here

by toweragent 88 Replies latest jw experiences

• toweragent
    toweragent

I have been "lurking" for about four years now.

It was an incredibly weird experience just to look at a site like JWN or freeminds. It didn't feel liberating, and my mind was anything but free. It made me angry, even sad. "This can't be!" I thought to myself.

I was 21 when I discovered Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap. I gave them the full benefit of the doubt and read both of Ray's books and Ed's mp3 commentary. Needless to say, the feelings I felt were indescribable. I had nightmares and lost sleep to the point where I couldn't think straight. How can these things be? Ray was SO NICE! He wasn't hateful, bitter, or spiteful. He came off very loving.

So, I decided that I would talk to one of my elders about the things I read. I did, and I felt better. He let me go through everything, one by one, on my piece of paper. He listened. He didn't stop me, condemn me, or make me feel stupid. He told me the usual Peter "where would we go?" and he showed me Galatians 1:8 that talks about an angel declaring good news that isn't really good news. So if the angels are capable of leaving Jehovah, then it's very possible for GB members or Gilead Instructors to leave Him as well.

And his whole mentality was 'so what if 1914 is wrong? If it's wrong, it'll change. And it may be something that won't change until the new system is here.' I thought that was so remarkable because I felt the whole religion hinged on 1914. He admitted that there were various things he didn't understand either, but he had decided to wait for the new system instead of abandoning his hope. It was nice because he wasn't some drone saying, "Jehovah is good, Satan is bad, and the Watchtower is always right no matter what!"

From that point, I didn't look another apostate thing for about two years.

By then I got married, moved to another congregation, and became a servant. The elders were not like I was used to. The congregation is not very warm or loving. It's very different and it's been a hard adjustment. But after a while it broke me down and I got very 'discouraged' and unenthusiastic about the truth. I didn't 'feel' it anymore. This whole time though, I'd been keeping those 'apostate thoughts' in the back of my mind. They'd creep up every once in a while but I'd sweep them under the rug, so to speak. But finally I've reached a tipping point where I can't do that any more. And that's what brings me to the main thrust of my post. Why I Am Here.

WHY I'M HERE

When I read of Candace Conti on the news, my curiosity sparked and I went back to where I knew I could find info, JWN and freeminds. Now at the age of 24, I relived everything I felt when I first learned these things. But this time, I do feel liberated.

My problem is, I so badly WANT to believe that the Watchtower is right. I want them to be used by Jehovah. But the problem is...I don't think they are right...and I don't think Jehovah is using them.

Things I Could Never Believe - Trinity, Hellfire, and the condition of the dead. Those things are surefire to me.

Things I Don't Believe - Blood transfusions, the misuse of disfellowshipping, 607 and 1914.

Things I am Unsure Of - Governing Body, Mediatorship, 2 class system, Earthly Paradise, Armageddon, and according to Watchtower theology-where is the command for the Great Crowd to preach?

So now the main point of my post is this. How can I be SURE that the Watchtower organization is NOT being used by Jehovah? How can I be sure that they just haven't gone astray like the apostate nation of Israel?

Even though the Israelites did some of the most stupidest things on earth...they were still Jehovah's nation, even though he may not have been too proud of them.

"I will make Israel an object of mockery and ridicule among the nations." I Kings 9:7: It certainly seems as if Jehovah is letting the Watchtower get mocked, and rightfully so. But will they ever be acceptable to him?

Ezekiel 36:15 says "And I shall cause no further humiliating talk by the nations to be heard concerning you, and reproach by peoples you will bear no more, and your nations you will no more cause to stumble,' is the utterance of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah." Could the Watchtower get His favor again some day?

My second Point is this: If the Watchtower is wrong, then what does God want from us? What was Jesus really trying to teach us? Is there going to be an earthly paradise ever or is a hevenly reward for all? What is the ressurrection really about? What is our hope, really?

I'm so confused on what is REALLY going on in the Bible. (And yes, I do believe it, even with all its fantasical tales of fanstasy and obvious contracdictions. I believe in my heart that the original writings are somewhere to be found and they will clear up the incosistencies. Then the problem is, what's authentic and what's not?)

I've mentally checked out of the organization for now, but I can't ever see myselft leaving because ALL of my family and friends are in it. My wife is super hardcore. It took me 4 years of these thoughts simmering in my mind for me to finally realize that the Watchtower is wrong about a lot of stuff.

How can I even begin to "wake up" my hardcore wife? It just seems an impossibilty. I can't keep living a lie. I want to do what God (Jehovah?) expects of me. But I don't know what to do! Where do I turn?

If any of you have time to read this, thank you. And, if any of you have time to respond, I thank you very much. I just feel kinda so dazed and confused by all this. Lost really.

P.S. Sorry about the long post, I guess I just had a lot to get off my chest, and I'm not the most eloquent writer so I may seem to be rambling on at certain points.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

If you still believe than it all comes down quite simply to this: Jesus said the Father was looking for those who worship in spirit and truth, not in some particular place. The Watchtower's Kingdom Halls are filled with untruths, as you are finding out. Therefore, you should worship somewhere else.

That's the most basic logical arguement. You can just build from there.

And welcome!

• Satanus
    Satanus

I too was in some congs w great elders, or some w great spirit among the dubs. We used to have lots of fun, both in service and otherwise.

'How can I be SURE that the Watchtower organization is NOT being used by Jehovah? How can I be sure that they just haven't gone astray like the apostate nation of Israel?

Even though the Israelites did some of the most stupidest things on earth...they were still Jehovah's nation, even though he may not have been too proud of them.'

You can ask this and its related questions about the catholic church, as well. Remember, it is THE continuation of the original churches. If god would allow screw ups and not give up on a religion like jws, why wouldn't he give the same consideration to a church like the catholic, or some of the others?

I'll leave your other concerns for others to respond to, for now.

S

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Welcome.

I had many of the same questions during my awakening.

I wish I could tell you that everything is going to work out and offer the key to that success. Keep searching, keep seeking ... the journey is yours and no two are the same ... best wishes.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm glad you posted!!!!!

The FACT is: the Organization parallels the scribes and Pharisees more than I've ever seen before! The leaders are cult followers. They don't represent the loving Jesus Christ. They act like tyrants and if you question anything, you're labeled in a very negative way.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Finding out that the 'truth' really isn't, well, it's very painful. I remember even against my enlightened better judgement wishing it was, wanting it to be, so much. The majority give their hearts to the dedication and baptism and try so hard to meet the standards. I feel for you in your predicament, honestly. Trouble is once you start really looking, the evidence becomes undeniable. As for your future worship, that's for you to decide, but only when you find your own way to it. Personally I am still a believer with a wonderful and precious relationship with Jah but I don't affiliate with any organised religions. I don't trust them anymore.

At 24 you are still young, with a whole life ahead of you to be free to enjoy, I want to urge you to grasp it. I was in my 50s when I left, lost all my adult kids and almost 30 yrs of friends. It's very hard to rebuild at that age. I've done it, remarried very happily, just graduated with an Honours degree, and have a loving circle around me, but it has been a hard road. Please don't put yourself or your future family through it if you can escape it?

As for your hard core wife, there are ways, going gently and carefully of helping her to wake up. Many on here will give you the support and guidance you need. Good luck and welcome.

Loz x

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

tower agent: interesting name, hope ur not an agent of the tower! anyway if you really want the truth of the bible,dont read it with blinders on. thought like you theres no way i could beleive in the trinity. the truth is i believe that jesus is god. hey if you want to talk we can talk about that. i think that has always been a core problem,knowing who christ is. jesus said who do people say i am?. hit me up if you want to chat.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Welcome, Tower. Take your time. You don't have to know today all the answers. You have started asking the questions, and they are big ones, so they will take time to answer. Work on your critical thinking skills. Don't limit yourself to the bible only, but stretch out and read about science and history. Don't accept anything until you have seriously and thoroughly challenged it. Read opposing views. Seriously consider those views. Don't make up your mind before you delve into it, or else everything will be filtered through confirmation bias.

And take your time with any decisions you make regarding the organization. You have some things to lose, and you want to be sure to carefully consider every step. Some people have been able to simply fade, although I think it is more difficult with a die-hard spouse. Yet this is something you do over time and subtly.

Good to have you here.

• sir82
    sir82

Forget doctrine, teachings, etc.

What is the number one, actually, only identifying mark of Christianity? You already know - John 13:35 - love.

Now ask yourself - which description best fits Jehovah's Witnesses:

-- An organization of truly humble people reaching out to help their fellow men in any way they can; non-ambitious, non-judgmental, non-gossiping, valuing mercy over punishment, valuing conscience over law; where the God who is worshipped would never ask you to sacrifice the love of your family to please him or his organization....

OR

-- An organization who proudly boasts, in writing, every month, that they and they alone have God's approval; who lock themselves into an "us vs. worldly" mentality, where everyone "worldly" is de facto under the influence of Satan; district overseers, circuit overseers, and elders who elbow each other out of the way for prestige and power; wearing a skirt just a touch too short, or wearing your hair a touch long, brands you as "spiritually weak" and subject to ostracism; obedience is prized over all other virtues, and obedience to the organization is more prized than obedience to Jehovah; obeying the could-literally-change-overnight whims of the governing body is of far greater importance than maintaining family ties....

Think back over your 24 years of being a JW.....which description best fits?

• minimus
    minimus

Tower, I believe you MUST know that the Witnesses do not act like loving Christians. They espouse the "Truth" that can change anytime they want it to. They are not lovers of people. They love rules and regulations just like the Pharisees.

Get out of her, while you still have a young life and potential~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit