Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• Satanus
    Satanus

Even though she presented herself as a theist, she secretly confessed serious doubts. She was basically a catholic atheist.

S

• tec
    tec

I agree that the people who want to support the way MT 'helped' the dying need to ask themselves the question. If this was an atheist treating the dying this way, would they be defending that person? Honestly ask yourself that question.

My responses in this thread, and my thoughts would not change regardless of faith or non-faith of the person in question.

The ask yourself, if an athiest ran a charity and millions of dollars was donated to that charity and you discovered that the BULK of that money went somewhere else and had nothing to do with what you donated it for. Would you still defend that person? Would you respect that person?

If that were true and proven, then I would consider that to be fraud.

Was MT in charge of donations and where they went, or did someone else deal with that?

Peace

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

I always believed until recently, even as an athiest, that MT was a good woman and helped the dying. Until I actually did some research after I heard claims to the contrary.

Before this I just believed all the media hype about her.

Very much the same as Gandhi, I never realised he was very racist against Africans and referred to them as kaffirs. Here are some Gandhi quotes.

In South Africa Gandhi was fighting discrimination against his fellow Indians, but not the native Africans, whom he reffed to as Kaffirs, which was the local racial slur for black people. Here are some fun racist Gandhi quotes:

“A general belief seems to prevail in the colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than the savages or natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir.”
    (Reference: The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, Government of India (CWMG), Vol I, p. 150)

Regarding forcible registration with the state of blacks:
    “One can understand the necessity for registration of Kaffirs who will not work.” (Reference: CWMG, Vol I, p. 105)

“Why, of all places in Johannesburg, the Indian Location should be chosen for dumping down all the Kaffirs of the town passes my comprehension…the Town Council must withdraw the Kaffirs from the Location.” (Reference: CWMG, Vol I, pp. 244-245)

His description of black inmates:
    “Only a degree removed from the animal.”
    "Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized – the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live almost like animals.” – Mar. 7, 190

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Was MT in charge of donations and where they went, or did someone else deal with that?

It seems she was, but even if she was not, she travelled the world raising many millions of dollars, and she would have been aware they weren't being used for caring for the poor. That would still be fraudulent. Although from what I have read, she did have some determination about where that money went and had nunneries built around the world with her name on them.

The reason it is difficult to answer is because this organization was the only one in India that did not have to report on donations. They were accountable to nobody, and there was no transparency. I think they said the money was deposited in Vatican Bank, or something like that. They know at one point she raised 50 million dollars, and it was pretty clear that money was not used for the purposes advertised. They probably would have been able to use clean needles instead of needles rinsed in cold water.

• Satanus
    Satanus

ST

All your gods, thrown down. I believe, if you put anybody under the microscope, you'll find dirt, hair out of place, or something. It's a sad fact.

S

• tec
    tec

Did she ever respond to allegations?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Atheists simply lack the same positive track record . . . whoeversaidit

I would like to make a personal objection to this generalisation.

For the last five years I've voluntered at the local prison with at-risk inmates. I currently have been visiting a man, once a week, for the last four years. He has nobody else because his adoptive parents have abandoned him. Me and my wife are all he has, and she visits from time to time with me. Twice we came within a whisker of losing him, but we're almost home, 18 months to go. For the depressed, life inside can be hell on earth.

I also visit an old friend regularly who has mentally collapsed. He lives in a Salvation Army hostel. They're great people. I've known him since we were 3 years old so it's hard to see him like that. All his furniture is stored in my garage. I have two more sets of furniture belonging to elderly folk who left the area when their homes were quake-damaged. My van sits in the driveway. Sorting out their affairs was exhausting in itself.

I also try to keep informed and lend support to causes on-line if I think they're important . . . like the bill in Nigeria that seeks to execute gay people for being gay, as well as things like child abuse. I send lot's of emails to various representatives/people who hold influence.

It's not sainthood material, but I'm struggling with a terminal illness myself, so it's all I can manage.

So I feel forced to blow a squeeky trumpet . . . but if you want to include this Atheist in that generalisation on track records. Perhaps you could point out where I'm going wrong?

Oh and by the way . . . . fuck you!

• still thinking
    still thinking

All your gods, thrown down. I believe, if you put anybody under the microscope, you'll find dirt, hair out of place, or something. It's a sad fact...satanus

I'm all for giving credit where it is due. But making people into gods or saints is not my goal...neither is donating money to good causes only to find out it is not going there but going into vatican coffers.

As for Gandhi, I don't doubt he achieved great things. But he is also a man who believed the Indian race superior to the African one. It doesn't detract from the good he did, which was primarily to try to put India back into Indian rule without the use of violence, and to keep peace between the two main religions Muslim and Hindu. But it does dispell the myth.

I prefer reality to myth. There ARE good role models out there. We don't need to make them up.

• glenster
    glenster

PS to my last post: I can't find where Teresa's missionaries contacted the
    missionaries who were fully qualified doctors who had proper facilities, yet
    Teresa' missions regularly took in people with serious medical problems. Every
    description is either a complaint of the circumstances (higher likelihood of
    suffering and even death) or a tribute to Teresa.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Oh and by the way . . . . fuck you!"

(((((Sizenik)))))

Shame about Gandhi. From what I've read Dr Martin Luther King was quite impressed with Gandhi's nonviolence philosophy. Can't say that I'm surprised though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit