My country is sick

by sabastious 119 Replies latest social current

• LV101
    LV101

Sorry, ZID --- People hate people who have money -- it just is and if those w/money have any conscience at all use it to help others and hope others get more money and on board to do the same. There can't be enough to help children and hungry people in one's own community much less the 3rd world countries.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

What you have are what me and my siblings only could/can dream of.

Hi, Blindnomore. This is American politics, and right now, the conservative trend is to paint our country as though it's about to die--it's a horrible place---the American voters are dillusional---everything needs fixed and only conservatives can fix it----we chose a Democrat, therefore Armegeddon.

Liberals on the board recognize the problems, but we have a more optimistic view of the country. We KNOW it's a great place, and we are trying to preserve some of that. We also know we are in a tough spot, but believe we are working our way out of it.

You have offered a reality check, and that's good. It's good to hear how an outsider views things, because we can operate in a bubble. Those things that make us great are what some think are making us sick. It's endless. It's all that freedom of speech---we can pretty much say anything. Feelings are pretty raw after this last election, which was quite contentious. Thank you for offering your view.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    People hate people who have money -- it just is
    Why do you hate people who have money?
  • ziddina
    ziddina
    "...People hate people who have money -- it just is..." LV101 page #5

That's an extraordinarily simplistic statement.

What most people generally hate are "robber barons" whose greed chokes the life out of a healthy economy. For people like Bernie Madoff, it wasn't even about the money - it was about the ego-trip of cheating all those people OUT of their money.

Most of HIS clients were quite wealthy, by the way. I'd say that in many cases, people WITH money hate OTHER PEOPLE WITH MONEY - because one of the fundamental motivations for obtaining wealth is to gain some sort of feeling of "superiority".

• LV101
    LV101

Too bad --- its' reality. Well, I think you're referring to the real upper crust that holds the major wealth in the world and it's always worse around the working class who feel the upper class doesn't have life as rough as them --- it's all about socio-economic classes and you don't go out of your hood or you get beat up. Same thing as a kid leaving a city school, nice neighborhood and starting at a county school in the sticks where the girls are rough and about 5 yrs. ahead of your in life and you get beat up and not just because you're the new kid. The pretty girls are always hated and and the girls who have more --- reality 101.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

By the way, I do live in a figurative bubble. Almost everyone around me owe their house, or their cars, or have credit cards maxed out, or are not prepared for retirement, or have to borrow for their children's higher education. Not I. I have zero debt and don't expect to have any until the day I die. I am not rich, but I live by a philosophy of self sufficiency and personal responsibility. I suppose in the U.S. that makes me weird, strange, a bubble dweller.

That makes you out to be very odd, different, and perhaps unAmerican to not be in hock for a set of McToys and other distractions. Don't stop doing that though. It's okay to be different.

• LV101
    LV101

Benengaria -- you sound like a CNN pundit/seriously!

Did I say I hate people with money ---- ahhh, you do -- you hate capitalism and want the redistribution.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

What more would you suggest the federal government do on behalf of the gay demographic?

A biggie would be the opportunity to have survivorship rights in the same way that straight married couples are afforded. It's scary knowing that if I died, or vice versa, my Partner of almost 11 years could have everything taken from him. I've personally known of 2 couples who had been together for many years, and when one of them died, family came in and took everything that they had built and bought together, leaving the surviving partner without a home, or any of the possessions they had bought together over the course of their relationship.

The sad thing is that one of the couples even had a will, but since their relationship wasn't considered valid, the opposing family was able to get everything when they contested the will because they claimed that since they were family, they had more rights to the belongings. Had their "Union" been legally recognised, it would have been harder for the family to take everything for themselves, leaving the partner out cold.

Other times, when there is no family, and a person dies, the government can claim that person's estate as their own, because the surviving partner is not considered legal as a husband and wife would be.

Another biggie is insurance coverage for Gay couples. Married couples are afforded the opportunity to claim each other on health insurance, yet we are not able to claim our partners.

Another is tax benefits. Straight married people can file jointly and get tax benefits, yet we can't.

The above are just 3 things. There are many more that most people don't think about. Even though it may be rarely enforced, it is still illegal in some states for me to love my Partner and to demonstrate my love in private behind closed doors in our own home!

Ever legally been denied a place to rent specifically because you are gay? I have.

Most of us don't want extra rights, we just want the same rights that others get, nothing more, nothing less. Just like most others, we want to be counted as equals, and afforded the same benefits that other married couples get.

http://www.ranker.com/list/8-things-gay-people-can_t-do/cdu827

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

@OC: And do you think Republicans will vote for those things that you want (and deserve)?

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Did I say I hate people with money ---- ahhh, you do -- you hate capitalism and want the redistribution.
    You said "People hate people who have money". I assume you must hate people with money, otherwise how can you possibly make that determination??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit