Watchtower's Weirdest Photograph?

by Marvin Shilmer 66 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Please spare these poor now-deceased sods your endless criticism! This was the 1920s not the "enlightened" Post-World-War-II world of huge toothpaste smiles for God's sake. Here's a historly lession for the critics:

Regarding the smile-free zone captured by photo, it is worth remembering that smiling for photos is of fairly recent origins. Earlier photographers treated these sorts of official " photograph sessions" as very serious affairs. Photography set-ups were very expensive and this was no time for frivolity (that only came into play when Hollywood popularized broad posed smiles). Subjects were routinely directed to look expressionless and keep bodily and facially still because cameras could not "process" subjects who moved. It was only dear Oriental Mr Kodak who gave us posers the freedom to act like goons when cameras clicked. Really no need for seriousness when the camera can cope with ever emerging stupidity.

As Camille Pagilia has scathingly pointed out, the almost automatic compulsion to "smile" or "say, 'Cheese'" when someone confronts you with a camera is a modern "plague" upon otherwise sensible people who would perhaps really not want to be photgraphed at all - or at most, would like to look, if not dour, then more suitably neutral.

Look at crusty and smelly old family photos - those from my maternal grandparents wedding have the "happy couple"looking like death warmed up. Was the sex really going to be that bad?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

The caption is strange...It makes this sound like the most exciting photo ever...Do they look like happy and hungry workers?!?

• steve2
    steve2

Christ Alone - read my previous post for a helpful history lesson on the modern plague of smiling. Thank you.

• processor
    processor

To me this guy alone doesn't look too weird:

Same for this guy in the back - watched alone, he seems normal:

But in the context of the other people, he seems a bit distorted, as if photographed from a different angle:

• steve2
    steve2

Do any of the subjects look like they are trying to convey subtle masonic symbology? Where are the conspiracy theorists on this forum when we need them?

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Okay..I'm waiting for someone to photoshop Sparlock into this picture!

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

For some reason, Rutherfords nose looks enlarged and darker than the rest.

Did he have a cold?

NJY

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Marvin, that photo reminded me on one thing...

• notjustyet
  • notjustyet
    notjustyet

Here is another unusual image from the early days. Reportedly waiting ont he Mt Of Olives for the rapture to take them away. They wanted to be first in the kingdom since being there would mean they would be taken up first.

Modern day "I'm riding Shorgun"

NJY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit